Problem solved,mystery remains - banana arm

speedwell

I'm pleased to say that I've sorted a long running irritant on the Z.

It's the old chestnut that many on here have experienced,the rattling/knocking noises at urban speeds over rough surfaces.

It's great that,with the help of the forum,i've been able to cure it and without any unnecessary parts replacement,unlike many.

When I first heard the knock I wasn't sure where it was coming from so i concentrated on looking for anything obviously loose,both inside and underneath.

This got nowhere,so the next step was to disconnect both front and back roll bar drop links...still no joy.

I then had first a friend,a professional mechanic, look at the car,followed by the local garage but neither could find any apparent fault.

By this time we were sure that the sound was coming from the nearside front so,after reading everything relevant on the forum I took a chance and acquired and fitted a new n/s compression (banana) arm...problem solved :D

The mystery bit is that my mechanic friend, who helped me do the fitting ,examined the old arm and shook his head because there was nothing that appeared wrong with it,no discernable movement could be felt in the balljoint.

But, on the road, the noise had gone!!!

So how can a balljoint with no detectable wear produce a knock? One of life's great 350z mysteries that may never be solved :headhurt:

Very common for no movement to be found on the compression rod ball joint by mechanics.

However I can assure you if your ball joint was checked as per the procedures in the service manual then it would be found to be unserviceable.

It takes very little for the ball joint to knock and the movement is hard to detect by the naked eye.

Alex :)

Your post and not the first of its kind reminded me of the following thread where the OP was convinced it was not the banana arm problem only to find out after spending money on other things that it was the BA.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=60970

As ZMANALEX points out tests may not reproduce the 'knock' to fool even experienced technicans so something to make a sticky I feel.

Thread moved.

Very common for no movement to be found on the compression rod ball joint by mechanics.

However I can assure you if your ball joint was checked as per the procedures in the service manual then it would be found to be unserviceable.

It takes very little for the ball joint to knock and the movement is hard to detect by the naked eye.

What are the procedures in the service manual?...i've not come across them on a forum search .

Has nobody been able to source just the ball joint and devise a method for changing it?

Steve

The ball joint is integral to the arm,i.e sealed in at manufacture.

However, the thought has certainly ocurred to me that it should not be beyond the ability of an engineering firm with the right facilities to recon these arms with a new ball joint at one end and a new rubber bush at the other,then offering them on an exchange basis.

It's all a question of cost.Alex supplies them at below the cost from Nisssan,perhaps he's looked at the re-con idea but it comes out as just as expensive?

What are the procedures in the service manual?...i've not come across them on a forum search .

Have a read of the service manual mate, it will explain the procedures better than I can :thumbs:

Have a read of the service manual mate, it will explain the procedures better than I can :thumbs:

Can someone please provide a link to the relevant part of the service manual?

• Like 1

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/350Z/coupe/2006/fsu.pdf

Follow menus through NVH...Front Suspension Assembly...On Vehicle Inspection...Inspection of Ball Joint End Play of Each Link. Page 4 I think.

It's the usual; stick a lever in and test for play routine. Problem is, it's difficult to replicate the force that is transmitted by a tonne and a half of metal crashing over a pot hole that will easily cause a knock on a worn joint.

Plumped for an '06 as I was guessing, but they're probably all the same or similar. Just use the parent directory for other options.

Are any of the Traders on here able to source just the OE balljoint? There has to be a way of removing the old worn out one and replacing it with a new one, but unless new ones are available, there is no point in investigating this any further.

Steve

Are any of the Traders on here able to source just the OE balljoint? There has to be a way of removing the old worn out one and replacing it with a new one, but unless new ones are available, there is no point in investigating this any further.

Steve

With no offence meant to the traders,I don't think they are bothered as long as replacement arms are available for then to supply or supply and fit.There are aftermarket arms available (quality unknown) for which balljoints have obviously been obtained from another source other than Nissan.

Steve

With no offence meant to the traders,I don't think they are bothered as long as replacement arms are available for then to supply or supply and fit.There are aftermarket arms available (quality unknown) for which balljoints have obviously been obtained from another source other than Nissan.

With respect I do not think that is the case.

The traders on here are very much bothered and we do our level best to serve you guys with quality products at huge savings and at times you have us jumping through hoops.

I find your comments offensive and uncalled for :thumbdown:

So just to be clear:

The ball joint for the compression rod is not available on its own and if this ball joint fails, then you have no option but to purchase a complete new compression rod.

Alex.

• Like 2

Steve

With respect I do not think that is the case.

The traders on here are very much bothered and we do our level best to serve you guys with quality products at huge savings and at times you have us jumping through hoops.

I find your comments offensive and uncalled for :thumbdown:

So just to be clear:

The ball joint for the compression rod is not available on its own and if this ball joint fails, then you have no option but to purchase a complete new compression rod.

Alex.

I find your reply quite offensive,and no offence was intended by me I can assure you.

How much research have you put into the matter?

If,for instance,an engineering firm could be found who would recondition the arms with a suitable balljoint sourced elsewhere at say £100 each for a bulk order and a trader could order a batch to be made and sell them at,say, £150 each then that indeed would be a better service.By far the the highest value in the item must be the alloy arm itself,and this bit is perfectly serviceable yet is thrown in the scrap bin at the moment.

If you read my earlier post you would see that I had suggested as much but agreed that it might not be possible because such an exercise might cost out at more that the new arms anyway,in which case I would totally agree with you.

...and might I offer you some advice that it's not best business practice to get on your high horse unnecssarily with people like me who have already spent good money with you.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/350Z/coupe/2006/fsu.pdf

Follow menus through NVH...Front Suspension Assembly...On Vehicle Inspection...Inspection of Ball Joint End Play of Each Link. Page 4 I think.

It's the usual; stick a lever in and test for play routine. Problem is, it's difficult to replicate the force that is transmitted by a tonne and a half of metal crashing over a pot hole that will easily cause a knock on a worn joint.

Plumped for an '06 as I was guessing, but they're probably all the same or similar. Just use the parent directory for other options.

Thanks for the link. As you say, I'm not convinced that this method would find it.

• 3 weeks later...

This sounds like the problem I have with my 04 Plate 350 Z . Ive just taken it for an MOT at my local garage who have done my MOT's for years .The car passed all the checks but noticed the knock on the road test , they put it back on the ramp and after 20 mins of checking with crow bar etc couldnt find any play of obvious fault .Even though they couldnt find a fault they wont pass the MOT . Is it likly to be the ball joint on the bannana arm rather than the Bush on the other end ( which I know can be changed ) . If I need a bannana arm where is the best place to get one ( best price )

Thanks

Peter

This sounds like the problem I have with my 04 Plate 350 Z . Ive just taken it for an MOT at my local garage who have done my MOT's for years .The car passed all the checks but noticed the knock on the road test , they put it back on the ramp and after 20 mins of checking with crow bar etc couldnt find any play of obvious fault .Even though they couldnt find a fault they wont pass the MOT . Is it likly to be the ball joint on the bannana arm rather than the Bush on the other end ( which I know can be changed ) . If I need a bannana arm where is the best place to get one ( best price )

Thanks

Peter

If there is no obvious play in the ball joint then they should not fail your car.

However in answer to your question if there are no obvious faults then the compression rod ball joint will more than likely be the issue which is causing the knock.

I have genuine Nissan compression rods in stock at a fraction of Nissan main dealer prices and they are good to go same/next day. :thumbs:

Drop me a PM if I can help you further :thumbs:

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone - sorry to resurrect an old thread but I think I have the same problem. I initially thought it was my exhaust, then took it to a couple of places who said exhaust was fine (including Nissan High Wycombe). More recently took it to a tyres/suspension place who confirmed there was a suspension issue due to the knocking/clunking when going over dips/holes in the road test - but after 30 mins playing with it up on ramps could not find anything wrong with it.

The noise initially was coming from the front n/s but it seems to be getting a fair bit worse now...migrating backwards! Any words of wisdom including recommendations of a decent garage in the High Wycombe/Marlow/maidenhead area?

Thanks, Jen

Edit - 55 plate roadster

Edited by jmh

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It would appear that I'm experiencing similar issues on an 04 plate thats done 55k. I had a good poke round underneath but couldn't see anything obvious. Next step will be to disconnect the drop links and go for a drive. It seems to knock more when the car is going over offset bumps and dips (body rocking side-to-side slightly), which was making me think it was drop links more than anything else.

Does any have any tips for checking banana arm bush or ball joint aside from trying to lever around it? There is no visible wear on the bush, and the arm is in the centre of the bush when the car is jacked up. When the bush fails is the arm likely to foul the body at certain points of its travel? There are no marks on it. Ball joint cover looks ok, but it will be difficult to detect any play.

Also - has anyone got the car through MOT with this sort of knocking? Have mine in one month and wondering if I need to pull my finger out to get it fixed before then.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I really need to sort mine out too!!!

Really soon as it's nearly up for MOT too!!!

How much and where is the best place to get them from?

We have the genuine Nissan arms in stock for £250

Or its just the bush you need we have the genuine Nissan bush for £29.99

We also keep the seating cones and nuts, drop me a PM if I can help :)

http://www.clarkmoto...rch/compression

Edited by Clark Motorsport/Zmanalex