When are you too old for a nice car?

twobears

Mr TwoBears has kindly said that I can have the Alfa I've been lusting after (if I can get my hands on one) when Stanley's lease runs out but I am not sure if I am too old for a nice car? I have sat in the thing and loved it. It is very basic inside which is fine but it is also very low to the ground and one of my favourite car reviewers, who looks younger than me, described rolling out of the car onto the pavement which sounds a bit undignified to say the least :dry: I haven't ridden my horse for the best part of two years now due to being away from home and I am wondering if I should give up my dream of owning nice cars as well? I still don't feel like a grown up despite my advanced years but there's no doubt I am an old lady so maybe I should act like one? I know most of you are younger than me but some of you are in the same age bracket and might have some idea what I am talking about? Have you asked yourself the same question or do you just get on with it?

Edited by twobears

Eh? Are you jealous? I live very modestly I'm afraid so you'd be disappointed if you took a look at my bank balance. I take the view that you don't know how long you have so why spend it being miserable?

If you can afford to do it then why care what anyone else thinks! If cars are your thing then go for it. It'd be like saying to a physically fit sixty year old snowboarder your too old! Only live once so if that's how you see best to spend your money for enjoyment go for it.

Edited by Bems
  • Like 1

You are only as old as you let yourself be.

Yes somethings are for the younger generations if you don`t want to look stupid but having issues getting out of a low car are more down to fitness and flexibility.

Have what you want if you can afford it and adjust your lifestyle to enjoy it if required.

The younger generation do a lot of rolling around on the pavements too you know :lol:

• Like 1

Ha ha, thank you everyone :teeth: I am a bit scared of making an arse of myself but I think I'd love a nice car more than worrying about being able to enter and exit it with dignity. I know the suspension will be rock hard but Stanley isn't exactly forgiving either so I think I'll cope with that for a few more years, fingers crossed. I'm at the stage of life where I have to make decisions that I wouldn't have considered when I was younger and it could get kind of depressing. I am not sure if I will take up riding again or not and am selling my trailer because I've decided I will never compete again. All that makes me feel quite sad but, hopefully, I will stay fit enough to enjoy driving for another few years. I think it is probably important to have something to aim for as well, something to look forward to, and getting another nice car is my new goal :)

Eh? Are you jealous? I live very modestly I'm afraid so you'd be disappointed if you took a look at my bank balance. I take the view that you don't know how long you have so why spend it being miserable?

No not jealous at all. It just seems that all of your posts that I read are about how you have a little dilemma that's being caused by all the money you've got. ;)

Until manufacturers specifically refuse to sell anyone a car because of their age, then I'm afraid that's just a daft question to be quite frank.

If you're worried about not being able to get in or out of one, then try it for yourself and see. Whether you can or not will have nothing to do with your age though and even less to do with whether a group of people (largely strangers) on the internet think you can/could/should/might. ;)

No not jealous at all. It just seems that all of your posts that I read are about how you have a little dilemma that's being caused by all the money you've got. ;)

Ok, I have never said this before because I don't think a public forum is the right place to discuss it but I have a lot of serious health issues - that is why I am not currently working - and I try to keep the forum discussions to nicer topics to be honest. If you don't like it I am sorry but I don't really owe you an explanation and am happy for you to continue with your life whilst I continue with mine. Take care and be happy :)

• Like 1

Until manufacturers specifically refuse to sell anyone a car because of their age, then I'm afraid that's just a daft question to be quite frank.

If you're worried about not being able to get in or out of one, then try it for yourself and see. Whether you can or not will have nothing to do with your age though and even less to do with whether a group of people (largely strangers) on the internet think you can/could/should/might. ;)

I think my style of posting can appear to be faux naïf/naïve but I am genuinely wondering if I should be giving up on a lot of things due to my age and health problems. I won't make a decision based on the views of a load of strangers on a forum I promise but is is interesting to see if others have faced the same situation. I can't be the only one who still feels young but is, in fact, getting on a bit and has the creaking joints to prove it :blush:

I think my style of posting can appear to be faux naïf/naïve but I am genuinely wondering if I should be giving up on a lot of things due to my age and health problems. I won't make a decision based on the views of a load of strangers on a forum I promise but is is interesting to see if others have faced the same situation. I can't be the only one who still feels young but is, in fact, getting on a bit and has the creaking joints to prove it :blush:

My old man had to make a similar decision some years ago when he was lucky enough to own an almost brand new TVR Cerbera 4.5 V8.

It's very low to the ground and after almost 2 years of ownership he had to admit defeat as it was killing his back getting in & out. Still though he enjoys nice cars and his current one is a BMW 335i M-coupe which is very fast but obviously a lot easier for him to drive & get in/out of.

Just buy what makes you happy twobears. If you don't get on with it then sell it but at least you'll know rather than just be left wondering. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Buy the car that you want to buy and enjoy it for as long as you can if you dont you will always regret it

Had to sell my 280ZX Kaminari after years of owning because I had to have both knees replaced and it was finally to low for me to get in out of but hey did I enjoy having that car and still miss it now

• Like 1

My old man had to make a similar decision some years ago when he was lucky enough to own an almost brand new TVR Cerbera 4.5 V8.

It's very low to the ground and after almost 2 years of ownership he had to admit defeat as it was killing his back getting in & out. Still though he enjoys nice cars and his current one is a BMW 335i M-coupe which is very fast but obviously a lot easier for him to drive & get in/out of.

Just buy what makes you happy twobears. If you don't get on with it then sell it but at least you'll know rather than just be left wondering. :thumbs:

Thanks GMb, I know I can always rely on you to take a reasoned view on things :) My dream car as a child was a TVR and I managed to find two different boyfriends who had them but I've never owned one myself and probably never will now since they have been out of production for so long. I'm glad your father got chance to enjoy his though :teeth:

• Like 1

He loved the TVR but in the end when it comes to your health you have to be sensible so it had to go.

At least he did have two great years with it and he'll always have the memories of taking it around a few race tracks & blasting along at over 170mph. :drive1

:thumbs:

• Like 1

Ok, I have never said this before because I don't think a public forum is the right place to discuss it but I have a lot of serious health issues - that is why I am not currently working - and I try to keep the forum discussions to nicer topics to be honest. If you don't like it I am sorry but I don't really owe you an explanation and am happy for you to continue with your life whilst I continue with mine. Take care and be happy :)

:thumbs:

You don't show your age in your profile so I have no idea if you are too old or not.

I'm a laydee so not going to reveal my age, ha ha :lol: I have a 21 year old daughter though so I'm definitely 'mature'. I'm not looking for a 'scientifically' worked out answer though, just interested in the thoughts and experiences of others in my position :)