Cost effective induction kit (£17 )

Macnore

Bought a universal air induction type filter and half a metre of 68mm flexi pipe for Fleebay,

filter £12 and 70mm flexi pipe £5.

Removed the airbox and removed the filter housing only and kept the original plastic pipe with Sensor and other pipe, drilled and self tapped the Universal filter onto the original pipe, you get x4 rubber adapters with the universal filter to fit different size pipes, so makes a perfect seal when you drill the filter, you use the existing fixing holed on the existing pipe, so will be simple to put the original filter housing back if needs be.

Ran the flexi pipe down the size of the radiator and trapped to the grill at the bottom of the front bumper.

70mm worth of cold air air collected and ducted up into the front of the Univarsal filter.

Works a treat, next task to form a way of separating where the filter sits to keep all the cold air that vent up away from the engine.

Filter is cool even when the engine is hot and up to temp, so it does work and also looks great also.

If there is any interest will takes pics and write a " how I did it ".

Think proper Induction kits are about £80', this works out really well for £17 and a bit of DIY on a sunny day.

If anyone is interested, post reply and I'll get some pics etc. http://s1068.photobucket.com/user/Macnore/library/?view=recent&page=1

Edited by Macnore
  • Like 1

+ 1 for a how to guide....

I'm still runing the standard airbox and I noticed some cheap universal filters on ebay last night, I considered taking a punt on one to see if I could do this. I feel like most of the intakes for the Z are way overpriced for what they are.

Cheers for the interest, will get some pics and see if I can attach to this post.

The aluminium sheet looks as if it would do the job, maybe difficult to cut it to shape it though.

Maybe an old air box would be a better idea, and modify the top part, cut away the right hand corner, then it will secure on the existing mountings etc.but don't want to savage my original box,

A job for later me thinks.

How would I attach the pics to this post .?

Think I've still got the boxes that the stuff came in so will take pics of them also.

I wouldn't worry too much about making a heat shield, it'll only affect the car when stationary . Once you get moving, there'll me more than enough cool air coming through the grill to prevent heat soak.

I'm sorry, but i'm not on board... Am I the only one who thinks spending only spending £17 on a part the protects the longevity of your £2,000 engine is a bit foolish? Sure branded air intakes are expensive, but they're also well tested. For £12 you might as well have used a few old socks for filtration.

Also I hope you kept the old parts for refitting if you ever need to sell it... if I was looking to buy a car and noticed the seller's home made air filter under the bonnet, i'd be running away, fearful of what else the seller had cheaped out on...

• Like 2

Cheers for the interest, will get some pics and see if I can attach to this post.

The aluminium sheet looks as if it would do the job, maybe difficult to cut it to shape it though.

Maybe an old air box would be a better idea, and modify the top part, cut away the right hand corner, then it will secure on the existing mountings etc.but don't want to savage my original box,

A job for later me thinks.

How would I attach the pics to this post .?

Think I've still got the boxes that the stuff came in so will take pics of them also.

Ive got an air box for sale if you need one

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

Thanks for the offer of an original Air box.

Still got mine for when and if I sell.

Don't think i'll bother separating it as I won't be idling much as a post reply suggests.

Stays nice and cool when I have checked.

Please see Photo bucket link for pics, not a botched job as a reply suggests and think the filter is not bad quality, hopefully the pics will show that.

http://s1068.photobucket.com/user/Macnore/library/?view=recent&page=1

If weather is OK at the week end will remove filter and check the intake pipe for signs of stoor or dust getting past the cost effective filter.

let me know if the Photpobucket links works.

Will get onto the " how to " when I get a chance, Ebay links for parts etc.

Installed a universal filter and 70mm flexi pipe, cost effective Induction kit.

Parts cost £17 form ebay.

Easy to install using existing air intake pipe, unbolt the existing air box and drill and self tap filter onto existing pipe.

Routed 70mm pipe through existing air intake duct and routed flex pipe to grill to pick up fresh air direct from the grill, routed up the pipe and directed into the front of the filter.

Please see link for pics. http://s1068.photobucket.com/user/Macnore/library/?view=recent&page=1

Your thoughts appreciated.

Edited by Macnore

When you're on Photobucket Macnore if you look on the right hand side of the page next to the pictures are the "share links", ....click on the "direct link" and it will copy the URL automatically for you. Then all you need to do is paste that into the URL box on the image icon (looks like a polaroid picture) in the "reply to this topic" box on a thread.

Done it for you this time. :thumbs:

Pipe%20entry_zpsitm7xcmi.jpg

Pipe%201_zps0lgfyf35.jpg

Pipe%20route_zpsuwhyamaw.jpg

Induction%20close%20up%202_zpsitrot9mk.jpg

Induction%20close%20up_zpsw9x5w9xw.jpg

Doesn't look too bad to me although as Brillo mentioned no idea how good that filter is at filtration. :dry: Stick a K&N filter on it instead and at least you'll know it will stop any crap getting to the engine. ;)

One thing though ~ your "Z air induction tube" is fitted incorrectly. :surrender:

That rubber pipe should not be coming out of the side at the 9 o'clock position, ...it should in fact be at the 6 o'clock position & most definitely connected to something (pcv pipe I think). ;)

Induction%20overview_zps6mupqjmu.jpg

Thats going to have some serious heat soak positioned where it is, even with the duct in place- I'd be getting an OBD2 app onto the phone and watching the temps.

You will certainly have lost a few ponies with this.

I hope you are getting a good bit of noise out of it because it certainly wont give you much in the way of extra bhp, in fact as others have mentioned you are probably losing it with it set up like that. I used K&N on my R33, the cones are about twice the length of the one you have so have more surface area. Also it was secured to the body to ensure it wasnt flapping about at speed which yours might look like it will be. The K&N I had was located as far from the engine as poss (and right below it you cannot see in the pic is a hole where the old intercooler is so there is a direct air feed about 3 inches long straight into it.

photo_31_zps099c1148.jpg

Like others have said, would be VERY nervous of some cheap copy from ebay, most likely thrown together on a tiny budget in china and could degrade quickly and unexpectedly.

Cheers for replies and interest.

The tube bit on the top of the original air pipe , made sure it went back in the same position when I took the pipe off to drill and tap the filter on it.

Bit worrying if it's wrong,but the tube is shaped and seems to make sense where it is,

Probably more worrying is if you guys reckon there is not eneogh air, or maybe too much getting in now.

Have got it secured just now with a couple of plastic tyraps, so it's not moving about.

Car runs ok, seems to be a bit more responsive, plosebo effect possibly.

Only other thing this is auto jap import, so maybe engine different with regards to small pipe leading into the top.

Any further adive on this appreciated.

When I get a bit more time will look at a bracket and also a heat barrier.

Also will look at a better quality filter in due course, will get the filter off again at the weekend and see if any signs of crap getting throught the filter.

Thanks for the interest.