Took delivery today, first impressions mixed

James Junior

Hi guys,

I was excited to take delivery of a nice low mileage 370Z auto this morning. I have spent the day driving it in a mixture of conditions in between meetings and to and from the office and first impressions overall are mixed.

+ Love the look of the car - much better looking the flesh than in pictures

+ It seems to strike a nice balance between a firm but composed suspension set up

+ It picks its heels up once you wind it up and its very easy to carry excessive speed without realising it (not entirely sure that is a plus actually!)

+ Its nice to have heated seats again

+ The Bose stereo seems pretty decent

+ I cannot get away from the fact that it is a LOT of car and tech for the money

+ It feels surprisingly small on the road

However...

- The seats are absolute crap - they remind me of the seats in my old nineties Jap imports and an old Honda Logo we once had in the household. They are really uncomfortable, flimsy and too small. The Astra hire car I just gave back to Enterprise was better than this.

- The quality of the interior trim is poor - brittle, cheap plastic everywhere and nasty looking switchgear. The stereo fascia, dials and fuel gauge look like they were all pieced together from different cars.

- The steering feels a bit disconnected from the car somehow - it feels dead around the centre, then very quick to react as you turn in.

- The auto box is very slow witted and it feels like it has one gear too many to choose from. Give it full throttle and it thinks about a change, then seems to select one gear too high so you are out of the power band and have to wind it up for a second or two before you get the surge of power you require. Yet reach a step further into the overdrive and it lurches into a low gear and breaks traction even in the dry.

- The paddles do not turn with the wheel making them unpleasant to use.

- You therefore feel like your have a load of power that you cannot access in the way you would like.

Now clearly there are some caveats here - firstly that I have only covered a few miles so far and most of that at a leisurely pace in traffic so only just beginning to scratch the surface and get to know the car.

Also I made the bold move of buying the car at a distance which I have never done before, relying on a trusted friend to test drive it and inspect it for me as it was miles away. I did test drove a 370 locally, but could only find a manual within a reasonable distance. I really liked the drive and somehow did not seem to notice the interior quality on my test drive, maybe because it was a fairly brief drive and I was focussing more on the road. Today meanwhile I have had some proper time in the car, much of which has been sitting around in city traffic.

Having a lot of love for the auto/ paddles box in my outgoing Z4 Coupe, I assumed I would like the more modern auto box in the Big Zed. I also naively assumed the paddles rotated with the wheels like most other paddleshifters I have driven. So I only have myself to blame for making assumptions without test driving an auto before I bought, but there had just been none in my local area for the past few weeks which made it difficult. I am not discouraged however - I am sure a lot of it is just about learning how to drive it to get the best from it.

So anyway, those are my initial musings. I'll post again once I have spent some wheel time on clearer roads this evening once the traffic has died down. :)

In the meantime I would be interested to hear what your first impressions were of your cars and how your relationships have evolved, especialliy auto drivers.

Also here are a few pics of its arrival from this morning - better ones will follow!

11221503_10155616136800195_1640094676350342402_o.jpg

10845810_10155616137130195_933192483668424645_o.jpg

11233585_10155616137125195_4834005592203121246_o.jpg

The paddles thing is a weird one. How come it's not set in stone how they are mounted. Aren't most Ferraris not mounted on the steering wheel? I have never driven a auto with paddles so don't really know the norm. I guess you will just get used to it in time.

Auto 'box in a sports car, no ta.

I much prefer paddles that turn with the wheel, like VAG stuff. Having them stuck to the column just seems silly, as it assumes there's never a time when you've got lock on and you want to change gear, which simply isn't true. If that way was more effective, then you'd see it in motorsport. It's not, so you don't.

Still, huge man points for buying a car without ever driving it! :D

• Like 2

Sorry to hear you are not clicking with the car. Only issue I had with my car was the terrible exhaust note after the lovely 350z but I soon fixed that.

Must admit I tried an auto for 2 weeks and really didn't get on with it, hope you have more luck

Hope everything comes good for you.

• Like 1

I had never driven one at all before I got mine and only thing I found was it was difficult to change 1st to 2nd smoothly. Don`t know if it was because it was new or I just mastered the art of it but it seemed to go away quite quickly and then everything was just fine and I just loved it but I would never have gone for the auto just out of personal preference. There are plenty on here, though, (disillusioned souls .... ;).) who swear the auto to be better than the manual so can`t be all that bad when you`re used to it.

The interior I think is okay but I did prefer that in my RCZ. I think the Zed feels a more sporty place to be sitting but less luxury/quality/and features. The overall package of looks/performance/price more than makes up for an little niggles or negatives it might have when comparing it to others though.

Hopefully you`ll soon come to love yours too..... :love:

Edited by Wayne370Z

Most cars with plastic parts you can notice a difference between the paint if you look.

Typically only on the bumpers with the 370 (the white cars suffer most). I'm inclined to think the side skirts are just reflecting the colour of the trailer.

Having been initially a bit disappointed in daily driving there was only one thing for it. Time to take it for a blast on a 'proper' road. Fortunately I live on the edge of the Peak District, so set off for a late evening blast over Woodhead Pass with Kirstie in tow,

I have driven a lot of quick cars over the years, but never have I driven a car that is so transformed once on the open road. As soon as the road opened out I slipped it into full manual mode and within a couple of corners everything fell into place and I was having an absolute blast.

Whilst the paddles being mounted on the steering column initially seems restrictive, they soon start to become easier to use with some familiarity. They are quite long and tactile, so you can actually still use them with a reasonable amount of lock dialled in and the wide spread of mid range means you don't need to be too prescriptive with your gears changes to make good progress. Out on the open road the fat torque curve feels wonderous as you thunder out of bends onto the straights, whilst the brakes feel like they could stop a train, especially when combined with a bit of gear braking as you drop down a cog or two ahead of the next turn. Once you choose your line and move to half throttle the car adopts a lovely neutral stance and feels so nicely balanced, cornering really flat.

It all inspires huge confidence and on a clear road allows you to make very satisfying progress.

I am totally hooked and have now bonded with the car.

ALL IS FORGIVEN!!! :thumbs:

Well...except the seats - they're still absolute crap. :blink:

Edited by James Junior
  • Like 2

I agree on the seats 100%, it could be an eventual deal breaker for me as I do in excess of 20k a year....either that or replace them with something else. I already posted my thoughts in another thread, all Nissan had to do was spend another £500 on seats with more leg support and thicker bolsters instead of feeling the plastic on the right.

And the passenger seat is even worse, my Mrs got in it and the look on her face said it all...sh*** I thought...

I quiet like the interior though, you have to remember it's still a Nissan at the end of the day but I think they did a great job, and second hand they are a steal.

Edited by NWZ

Also I must say the condition of this thing is absolutely incredible - it genuinely feels like a new car.

I cannot find a single mark on the wheels, the bodywork or the interior and everything gleams and feels totally box-fresh. Petrol cap looking a different colour in the photo is definitley just a trick of the light, the car is simply immaculate.

Think I have got myself a minter.

Right then, off to look at replacement seat options...

Most cars with plastic parts you can notice a difference between the paint if you look.

Typically only on the bumpers with the 370 (the white cars suffer most). I'm inclined to think the side skirts are just reflecting the colour of the trailer.

I agree, I was mainly talking about the fuel cap which is horrendous on colours like Azure. :)

I agree on the seats 100%, it could be an eventual deal breaker for me as I do in excess of 20k a year....either that or replace them with something else. I already posted my thoughts in another thread, all Nissan had to do was spend another £500 on seats with more leg support and thicker bolsters instead of feeling the plastic on the right.

And the passenger seat is even worse, my Mrs got in it and the look on her face said it all...sh*** I thought...

I quiet like the interior though, you have to remember it's still a Nissan at the end of the day but I think they did a great job, and second hand they are a steal.

Just spent some time researching.

Looks like Nismo seats are the best option based on a quick recce.

Check out these bad boys:

Might approach Nissan and see how much a pair would cost.

Bracing for impact.

post-9007-0-74616800-1431467509_thumb.jpg

Edited by James Junior

I generally agree the passenger seat is too low down, the main problem with the driver seat is the seat base is too short if you have long legs like me and anything over 1 hour and I get a pain in my right leg. I never ever had this problem in my 350z.

I agree the Nismo seats look lovely, bet you can find Recaro's cheaper but I would guess they will need a retro-fit.

Personally I love the seats, not very supportive I agree, but very comfy. My other car has hugging Brides so the more like a sofa the better for me.

Agree with you on the steering, I really hated it at first, felt so numb and disconnected. Grown to like it over time, doesn't have much, well any 'feel' so to speak but it is accurate when you need it to be.

As you say, it's a lot of car for the money, makes the switch from lazy morning commuter to B road blaster very well and is highly capable when pressing on.

My project thread is pretty similar to this in terms of niggles at the start of ownership, as I racked up the miles and made a few changes got bits & bobs sorted so I'm happier with the car. Not done any mods to it for over a year now, that's gotta be a record for me haha

I agree the Nismo seats look lovely, bet you can find Recaro's cheaper but I would guess they will need a retro-fit.

You're looking at about £1k each for the seat alone if you shop around, otherwise about £800 used off ebay (they look like "Recaro Sportster CS"). http://www.demon-twe...ortster-cs-seat

You would then also have to get rails and mounts fabricated etc. Either way, it wont be cheap!

Edited by Sargara

never had a problem with the seats, the 370 doesn't like traffic and being driven slowly ( it feels big and clumsy with an unresponsive/disconnected feel to the throttle and numb steering), it totally transforms on a fast spirited drive ( fast turn in with good feedback and has bags of power)

• Like 1

I don't like the 350z seats either, pretty much no support for my lower back which starts to ache a bit after an hour.

HOWEVER - now that I've slung a CG Lock onto the seatbelt, wow that's improved it massively.

Firstly it locks your hips in place, so you certainly don't slide around, and as a bonus it stops you from slumping, so my back doesn't ache if I've locked myself in properly with it.

It really could be worth trying that to see if it helps :thumbs:

Edited by RobPhoboS
  • Like 1

I don't like the 350z seats either, pretty much no support for my lower back which starts to ache a bit after an hour.

HOWEVER - now that I've slung a CG Lock onto the seatbelt, wow that's improved it massively.

Firstly it locks your hips in place, so you certainly don't slide around, and as a bonus it stops you from slumping, so my back doesn't ache if I've locked myself in properly with it.

It really could be worth trying that to see if it helps :thumbs:

Rob, where do you get the CG locks from and are they expensive? Just thinking would be a good idea if I could get hold of one for my longer drives (maybe too late for Wales, but I've got a trip to Lake District with family next month too)