Took delivery today, first impressions mixed

James Junior

I don't like the 350z seats either, pretty much no support for my lower back which starts to ache a bit after an hour.

HOWEVER - now that I've slung a CG Lock onto the seatbelt, wow that's improved it massively.

Firstly it locks your hips in place, so you certainly don't slide around, and as a bonus it stops you from slumping, so my back doesn't ache if I've locked myself in properly with it.

It really could be worth trying that to see if it helps :thumbs:

Rob, where do you get the CG locks from and are they expensive? Just thinking would be a good idea if I could get hold of one for my longer drives (maybe too late for Wales, but I've got a trip to Lake District with family next month too)

I just ordered my one via demon tweaks (on their ebay store) :thumbs:

• Like 1

To me the seats feel so cheap and flimsy and about twenty years out of date. The way that the whole seat back flexes if you push your head against the head rest is driving me nuts. I will try some more seat adjustment to see if I can improve things at all in the short-term.

I emailed Recaro's main agent today asking for some prices and guidance so will see what they say.

Just got back from a business trip to Sheffield and very much enjoyed myself on Snake Pass (despite my growing seat-hatred). Still getting used to the fact that I sit in the centre of the car, as in my old Z4 I was virtually sat over the rear axle. Loving the way the 370 corners - very flat and assured, with loads of mid range torque as you open the throttle whilst exiting corners.

Glad your bonding with the Z a bit more now.

I agree with your seats comment thought, for me I cant get the balance right on my legs being far enough away but my hands not being too far away.

Its a nightmare and just wish the steering wheel had some further adjustment! Do you feel the car has breathing issues about 5k? That was an odd one for me its only really sorted with an UpRev and some breathing mods.

I don't like the 350z seats either, pretty much no support for my lower back which starts to ache a bit after an hour.

HOWEVER - now that I've slung a CG Lock onto the seatbelt, wow that's improved it massively.

Firstly it locks your hips in place, so you certainly don't slide around, and as a bonus it stops you from slumping, so my back doesn't ache if I've locked myself in properly with it.

It really could be worth trying that to see if it helps :thumbs:

Rob, where do you get the CG locks from and are they expensive? Just thinking would be a good idea if I could get hold of one for my longer drives (maybe too late for Wales, but I've got a trip to Lake District with family next month too)

I just ordered my one via demon tweaks (on their ebay store) :thumbs:

I picked up a CG lock from DT recently, pleased to find that the box was battered and some screws missing :dry:

Anyway, I emailed the CG people to get the screw sizes so I could source some and they are not only sending me some free ones :) They also pointed out they have a CG lock "lite" coming to market, less tracky and seemingly even easier for day to day.

http://shoft.co.uk

Not really looked into it much but if the CG lock is anything to go by, could be quite decent.

Thread hijack ends!

• Like 1

I agree with your seats comment thought, for me I cant get the balance right on my legs being far enough away but my hands not being too far away.

Its a nightmare and just wish the steering wheel had some further adjustment! Do you feel the car has breathing issues about 5k? That was an odd one for me its only really sorted with an UpRev and some breathing mods.

Not noticed any flat spots on mine, but will keep an eye out now you have mentioned it. Would have been up for a remap, but it adds about 30% to my insurance premium with my current insurer, so not really worth it. Also I am due in court for a speeding offence in June, which will either result in me picking up 6 points or a short term ban, so would prefer to await the outcome of that first. They did agree to add a sports exhaust and spacers without charge though, so have carte blanche to sort those out in the meantime. :)

• Like 1

Not noticed any flat spots on mine, but will keep an eye out now you have mentioned it. Would have been up for a remap, but it adds about 30% to my insurance premium with my current insurer, so not really worth it. Also I am due in court for a speeding offence in June, which will either result in me picking up 6 points or a short term ban, so would prefer to await the outcome of that first. They did agree to add a sports exhaust and spacers without charge though, so have carte blanche to sort those out in the meantime. :)

I've been hit with 6 points in September last year - funnily enough on my way home from the yearly Wales trip (which I'm going back to this weekend :lol: )

• Like 1

Having now got several hundred miles under my belt I am now very much enjoying my 370Z, despite its niggling faults.

I drove it to Leicester yesterday for the Luxury Motor Show and really enjoyed the drive, despite the Sat Nav taking us a ridiculously convoluted route home.

The engine is the star of the show, with a lovely creamy power delivery that is surprisingly smooth for a V6. The mid range urge is hugely gratifying and makes it a very satisfying car to lope along in at six tenths in manual mode, short-shifting as you ride the fat torque curve. Yet when the conditions permit, it is still worth hanging on to the gears to the redline if you need a burst of acceleration, giving the car great flexibility.

Some NA cars can be ultimately unsatisfying in the real world, as you have to wring their necks to make quick progress and make them feel special. The 370z is so versatile that it feels good in pretty much all driving conditions, with power there if you need it, but a lovely smooth and laid back nature if you don't. Obviously the price for this is relatively high fuel consumption, but so far even this hasn't been quite as bad as I was expecting.

I find myself using the cruise control a lot to keep control of my speed, as it is an easy car with which to carry more speed than you intend. I find the little anodised thumb control on the wheel really tactile and this combined with the very clear digital cruise control read-out makes it a pleasure to use and it has fast become an integral part of my driving style.

It also seems to get positive attention and admiring glances. Even my friends wife who is utterly disinterested in cars by her own admission was very complimentary, whilst a number of random children at the roadside have stopped, pointed, gawped or taken pictures which is quite amusing!

I have even managed to find a more comfortable position for the driving seat, which although still not great, is growing on me.

The only real remaining downsides that remain for me are the rather muted exhaust note and the road noise issue, both of which can hopefully be improved with some work.

Overall its a great all rounder and I think I am going to enjoy my time with the 370Z.

The only real remaining downsides that remain for me are the rather muted exhaust note and the road noise issue, both of which can hopefully be improved with some work.

You know the one answer there then to deal with both ;):lol:

As regards the seating issue I'm 6' 2" I never found it uncomfortable - in fact the opposite but it can take a bit of fine adjustment with the squab/backreast/lumbar to get it spot on. My only gripes with the driving position was the lack of wheel adjustment fore and aft as I would have liked less arm stretch, and the rear view as being relatively tall vision was restricted by the black surround at the top of the rear window cutting off roofs of following cars - not ideal when you want to know just what is on your tail......

• Like 1

Auto 'box in a sports car, no ta.

I much prefer paddles that turn with the wheel, like VAG stuff. Having them stuck to the column just seems silly, as it assumes there's never a time when you've got lock on and you want to change gear, which simply isn't true. If that way was more effective, then you'd see it in motorsport. It's not, so you don't.

Still, huge man points for buying a car without ever driving it! :D

I much prefer them detached from the wheel, unlike the M6 :rant: I find if I want to change gear in a corner I have to think which paddle it is, whereas if they're mounted, then I always know where they are. Personal preference I guess :shrug:

I much prefer paddles that turn with the wheel, like VAG stuff. Having them stuck to the column just seems silly, as it assumes there's never a time when you've got lock on and you want to change gear, which simply isn't true. If that way was more effective, then you'd see it in motorsport. It's not, so you don't.

I much prefer them detached from the wheel, unlike the M6 :rant: I find if I want to change gear in a corner I have to think which paddle it is, whereas if they're mounted, then I always know where they are. Personal preference I guess :shrug:

Thats interesting - so you prefer them mounted on the column?

I have acclimatised quite quickly to the column mounted paddles on the 370z, as the shifter handles are quite tall on each side, so even with your hands on the wheel with it tilted 45 degrees you can still use them, though I have found once or twice when taking a really sharp bend and looking to drop down a cog to accelerate out, I have found my fingers reaching for fresh air!

Personally I prefer the wheel mounted versions, but not finding the 370z column mounted unit to be too bad and quite enjoy using it really.

Edited by James Junior

Thats interesting - so you prefer them mounted on the column?

I have acclimatised quite quickly to the column mounted paddles on the 370z, as the shifter handles are quite tall on each side, so even with your hands on the wheel with it tilted 45 degrees you can still use them, though I have found once or twice when taking a really sharp bend and looking to drop down a cog to accelerate out, I have found my fingers reaching for fresh air!

Personally I prefer the wheel mounted versions, but not finding the 370z column mounted unit to be too bad and quite enjoy using it really.

Yea, I just can't get on with wheel mounted when driving enthusiastically. Of course the column mounted paddles need to be bigger like you mention, but I really like knowing where they are at all times.