Rear Wheel Arch Rust

Dicky

Got a bit of rust showing on both the rear wheel arches. It's not much, but is showing through on the lip of the arch, where the inner and outer panels meet. Took it to a local body shop, who have a reasonable reputation, to be told he would fill and spray it for £200.

I asked why he wouldn't cut out the rust and weld new metal in. He said welding might distort the wing and it wasn't worth taking the chance. Doesn't sound right to me but wondered what you guys think, especially if you've had this work done yourself.

I'd take it somewhere else.

Nothing wrong with the use of filler, but unless your arch is actually rotten, it should be taken back to bare metal, treated and then painted. Chucking filler over it and painting will only see it return fairly swiftly.

£200 is very cheap though, given that both sides will need blending in - I'd be wanting a better job, which in turn will most likely cost more than £200

Edited by ts743

Get it cut out and done properly, my arch went a few years back and the first body shop filled it. Within a couple of months it was coming back through so I had it cut out and new metal put in. I asked for photos to prove it as the first place lied and had me in. No problems since!

I've just had my near side rear arch done. Was rusty in three places. The necessary was cut out and replaced, then the paint blended in.

It's a cracking job with good colour match. This cost me £300.

Thanks lads. I like the idea of replacing the metal and have a couple more body shops to visit. If anyone can recommend a company in Newcastle I'd appreciate it.

No pictures at the mo Fluke but will try and post some (not much good at this sort of thing)

Nothing wrong with using filler but rust is a bugger to cure in all honesty.

You'll think it's all out but it can worm it's way back in.

The guy is quite right though welding could very likely distort the panel.

Really speaking (and this is extreme) to totally cure it and not risk distortion you want a new quarter putting in but that's far far to expensive for what you're trying to remedy.

They used to fill rust holes with lead in the old days but got no recollection of how well this process performed. Maybe it's a dying practice or maybe it didn't perform to well?

Filler is fine, but not as successful as cutting out and replacing. Distortion is highly unlikely unless they get the panel too hot thus taking the stress out of the panel. Either way minimal distortion can be rectified. Expect to pay at least 50% more for metal replacement.

Took the car to a local body shop I've used before. They've got a good reputation and apparently give a life time guarantee on their work.

Anyway given the car's a 2004 and the rust isn't particularly bad he suggested leaving it. He said it's a common problem on this car given the spot welding of the inner and outer wheel arches and that the 370 joint is bonded to overcome the problem.

Apparently it's impossible to tell how bad the inner wing rust is without turning the car upside down, cutting into it to see. It could end up being a £4K ish job with new wings to sort it completely. He said he could fill it but that it wouldn't last long so suggested I just enjoy the car for a bit longer then decide what to do. Not sure how much a 2004 GT 70K is bringing these days but I'd guess around £5K to £6K so £4K is a step to far for me.

Think I'll try another place to see if they agree, trouble is you never know if what there saying is completely true. This guy seemed genuine but I think I'll still get another opinion from a none "Fill it and Spray it" body shop.

Had mine wax oiled last year. Job worth doing which you could do on your own if you have a ramp.

Are they able to get in between the inner and outer wheel arches with this or is it just on the outer surfaces. Also is it feasable to apply it to an 11 yr old car? I would certainly do that if it would help.

just been to get my rusty wheel arches looked at - garage said he wouldn't be able to tell the exact extent of the damage until he starts cutting metal back, but suggested around £300 to cut back, weld in new metal and repaint my right rear arch. that combined with rust on the front right coming through from a previous repair, and a stone chip being flattened and repainted on the left front arch, total bill was going to be around £600.

made my decision to sell the car that much easier!

also just to be aware, my car was a 2003 with 70,000 on the clock - and the rust coming through on the right rear arch was significant. plus there were signs of the same rust coming through on the left rear arch as well, so I definitely think it will need doing soon! suspect it will start becoming a serious problem for the oldest UK cars now.

PS a 2003 GT with 70,000 miles (and rusty arches) sells for £5,400!

Thanks young man that's good info and I'm thinking your decision is a sensible one. Problem is I still love the car and it's hard to considder selling it. I've really looked after it and had I known about this problem earlier I would have been all over it. Bugger ain't it!

This rust Issue is it on the inside of the arch as I have a 2005 Roadster and I know it has had paint work done to it but on the o/s/r arch has surface rust looks to me but not got any one eleses opinion on it as yet but I was thinking of rust treatment and smooth and paint I kicking me self now as not seen it when purchased it last August... ! :doh:

Forget using the rust treatments. None of them kill the rust. The ones that state they turn the rust black is a joke They merely form a skin over the rust which itself turns black. Ive used all of them PS i used to sell all of them too from a motor factors. And if anyone came in for rust treatment my advice was that if theyre keeping the car. Forget treatments. Just get all the rust cut out and replace with new metal

4k to sort this worst scenario??? Having a laugh aren't they :lol: :lol:

I think the guy was quoting around £4K if both rear inner and outer panels had to be replaced. It may be an over estimate but I judged him as being honest. I suppose he could have said he'd cut the rust out and charge me £300 ish.

I'm looking for another trustworthy body repairer and will see what he has to say

I was wondering why they can't drill a couple of holes in the inner panel and put an intrascope in to look how bad the internal rust actually is?

A forum member recommended Falcon Performance in Middlesborough so I gave them a call. The guy I spoke to seemed genuine and knowledgable. Theve treated loads of Z's with rear wheel arch rust. His recommended solution would cost between £1 to £1.4K depending on how bad the rust was.

They cut out the rust, bead blasted all accessible rust on the inner arch then sprayed it with some kind of zinc based rust protector treatment as far as I recall. They then weld metal into place and seal the whole wheel arch joint between panels with a resen sealant and finally spray it. They could'nt guarantee that rust wouldn't show again but led me to believe the fix last a long time. They also had a cheaper less long term effective option costing around £600.

The former's still quite expensive but a lot cheaper than new inner and outer arches at circa £4K.

• 3 months later...

Ill be using falcon mate or a local bodyshop in newcastle.

I fitted coilovers lifted my arch to get the jack out a lil and that inner lip that looks just a tad orange on the end... Yeh it was rotten and fell to pieces in my hand almost like sand. My 1996 honda had zero rust ffs kills me that this car caught me out as this didnt show when i bought it but it has came through in 6 months of purchase.

Tongue in cheak i laughed with the old owner and said aslong as shes no rust ill take her.

Cut out and replace is the only option my friend. It is expensive but plenty places out there. Mirror finishes over newcastle said he'd help me also. Ill be booking in end of this year for the full job again because i love the car.

• 1 month later...

Update.....bought some paint from a small local company who supply panels, paint etc to the body repair trade. Mentioned to the owner about the wheel arch rust starting to come through and he recommended a guy who carries out all of the local Jaguar main dealers repair work. He highly recommended him and said he wouldn't use anyone else. Well the cars going in this Monday for a week and he's going to cut out the rusted area, treat the inner surfaces with anti rust protection, weld in sections from new panels, completely seal the panels joining lip and respray. Total cost for both rear arches is £800. I had been quoted £1400 by Falcon so it sounds a fair price. Since the rust isn't really serious yet he said he could lead it if I wanted (no one else offered to lead it) but couldn't guarantee it, but thought it would last a couple of years or so while the cut out would last longer.

Not many people skilled in leading these days

Yeah that's one of the things that gave me confidence in him. I'll report back on how good the job turns out for the benefit of the guys up north (I live in Newcastle) best go by recommendation in these things.