Rear Wheel Arch Rust

Dicky

• 2 weeks later...

Well the rusts been cut out and new metal welded in and what a great job this guy has done. I can highly recommend him. For those in the North East the company name is Automotive Paintwork Solutions, his name is Marc Porrelli and his mobile is 07977908704. He's been doing body work since leaving school and ran his own business for over 10 yrs, Oh and he does all the work for the local Jaguar dealerships, so can't be bad.

If I get this right he's cut out the rust, welded in new metal, ground this back and soldered over to seal the area, shaped then painted it. He's also treated the inside of the panels with wax oil and applied other sealants around the wheel arch.

I'm more than pleased with the work, not a sign that anyone has touched it.

Hope the photo bucket link works.

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/hoggy57/library/350Z%20Bodywork

Edit: Can't understand this photo bucket site, either it or me is useless. Just tried the link and the pics are now out of order and have "ticks" in the picture windows. Hope you can see the good work

Edited by Dicky

• 10 months later...

Just to add to this, my 04 plate is also suffering from rust bubbles on the o/s rear wheel arch, in a couple of places. I got a number of quotes from recommended local bodyshops who both quoted me the same - 250 for a cheaper, filler and spray job, or 500 for a longer lasting, proper cut out and weld in new metal job. The first option felt like money down the drain if it's going to come back in a few weeks/months. So it's in this week for the proper albeit more expensive option.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Car back from the bodyshop, and they've done a great job. Looks like new. Lots of underbody sealant applied too. Hopefully will last for many years to come.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

The biggest cause of rust on our rear arches is the lip. I don't know if many of you when washing your Zed have run your fingers along the upper inside of the lip only to find that its packed with road grime and when wet it takes a long time to dry out. So for the majority of the time this hard packed crap never dries. Next time you wash your Zed just run your fingers along the underside of the arch and you'll be shocked at the amount of dirt and crap that falls away. Once you've got all of the detritus out of the way, as long as the steel is in good condition its well worth sealing it and also checking how much muck has collected every few months and keep the lip clean, it goes a long way to help preventing the dreaded tin worm.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well the rusts been cut out and new metal welded in and what a great job this guy has done. I can highly recommend him. For those in the North East the company name is Automotive Paintwork Solutions, his name is Marc Porrelli and his mobile is 07977908704. He's been doing body work since leaving school and ran his own business for over 10 yrs, Oh and he does all the work for the local Jaguar dealerships, so can't be bad.

If I get this right he's cut out the rust, welded in new metal, ground this back and soldered over to seal the area, shaped then painted it. He's also treated the inside of the panels with wax oil and applied other sealants around the wheel arch.

http://s1074.photobu...y/350Z Bodywork

Edit: Can't understand this photo bucket site, either it or me is useless. Just tried the link and the pics are now out of order and have "ticks" in the picture windows. Hope you can see the good work

Car back from the bodyshop, and they've done a great job. Looks like new. Lots of underbody sealant applied too. Hopefully will last for many years to come.

Hi guys,

Did your rust stay away after your got this work done?

• 4 weeks later...

Science- Did you get yours done and if so was it Dorset way? I've got rust just appearing in both arches and want to find somewhere recommended if possible.

Not yet but it'll probably be local ish to Bournemouth or I'm getting my front and rear bumper sprayed not so local and will do it then. I can get the name for you soon.

• 2 weeks later...

http://s1074.photobu...y/350Z Bodywork

Hi guys,

Did your rust stay away after your got this work done?

Apologies for late reply, thought the post had ran its course. Yes the jobs still a goodin! No signs of rust yet but I'm sure if I'd gone the filler route I'd have to be starting all over again by now.

• Like 1

Apologies for late reply, thought the post had ran its course. Yes the jobs still a goodin! No signs of rust yet but I'm sure if I'd gone the filler route I'd have to be starting all over again by now.

That's great news! Thanks for the update.

Just a heads up for those who are thinking about the bodge/filler route. From my experience with my 350z I would not ever recommend this, I understand people like to save money but I had this done, taken back, rust cure added, bodged and painted and it returned within 1 week. So now I am getting the work done by the company Dicky has used and having it cut out this summer. So yeh as most would advise with these cars pay cheap pay twice in this case.

I know what you mean about the build up in the arches - I've only had my Zed a few weeks but ran my finger along the inner arch and oh my god the amount of Crud stuck in there was horrendous! I now try to give them all a good clean out at least every other week.

On a side note - I think at some point in its life my cars had a stone chip on the roof and there is a spec of rust there (about the size of a grain of sand or to) but if this worsens over the years I assume the same thing would apply as above, cut a section out and weld in - or replace the whole roof!

Or - go the home made convertible route! :lol:

• Like 1