Alternatives to Sky TV

ioneabee

interweb speed is currently 6.7mb - it should be in the region of 14 - 22mbs

Lucky you!!

Download speed here is 1.8 mb

Its so slow you half expect to hear the di-di-di and squeal of a dial-up modem :rant:

That's the sacrifice you have to make for living in the middle of the Welsh outback I guess!!

Lucky you!!

Its so slow you half expect to hear the di-di-di and squeal of a dial-up modem :rant:

That's the sacrifice you have to make for living in the middle of the Welsh outback I guess!!

I remember 56k dial up on AOL :lol:

I now get almost 11,000k on my iPhone wirelessly, wired is just over 3 times that B)

5fc73e7657abffe50c5ac9f863a28ce5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky you!!

I remember 56k dial up on AOL :lol:

I now get almost 11,000k on my iPhone wirelessly, wired is just over 3 times that B)

5fc73e7657abffe50c5ac9f863a28ce5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What the!! :ohmy: 33000kb ......................meanwhile back in the :tumbleweed:...... :help:

This thread made me think about how much I pay (a lot). I used the Sky online chat function to discuss options and they were surprisingly helpful. They gave me a link to the online chat team that deal with subscriptions and I got my bill reduced by £25 per month (mainly by removing Sky Sports, which I almost never use). Worth finding out if you can do something similar before jumping ship. I agree that Sky is pricey but I've not seen anything else I prefer the look of in terms of what is available to watch.

my bill was £57 and going up another £3 at the end of the month .......... enough is enough :dry:

so, at the moment I've reduced it down to the basic package - no films, no HD (which I couldn't see the difference with anyway)

once I get the TV converted to "smart" - I'll sort out some sort of film package :wacko:

Think I pay about £85 pcm. Maybe I could get rid of the movies, but sod's law says that the one time I get rid of them...

I need the sports for F1, and the HD package is a must. Multiroom too, which bumps the price up a tad.

32"

only a little 'un :thumbs: .......... by todays standards

Little telly for a little fella then............... :stir:

Mind you, trying to convince my other half she needs 50"+ for our mutual enjoyment got this reaction: :scare:

I jest, of course. We were going to put up my old 55" one in the bedroom but it was just too big for the wall, as the door would've opened into it and that was never going to end well. Ended up buying a new LG 46" one dirt cheap from Curry's instead, seems to do the job okay.

Think I pay about £85 pcm. Maybe I could get rid of the movies, but sod's law says that the one time I get rid of them...

I need the sports for F1, and the HD package is a must. Multiroom too, which bumps the price up a tad.

I was paying about that (including multi room). I shaved off £17 just by dropping sports. I used to watch a bit of boxing every once in a while, but that was about it. I nearly dropped the Variety package until they said I'd lose documentaries. They gave me a six month discount on the movies instead. Paying about £60 now.

I'm going to do the same thing with Virgin broadband next. We're on the supposedly super fast package. I reckon we'd be fine on one of the cheaper options.

I'm hopeless with money - earn it, spend it; but I think I've saved about £100 a month this year but doing this sort of thing. It's quite addictive. :)

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

I quit smoking about 7 years ago, and have in theory saved at least £15K.

I have no idea where that money is though! :lol:

I gave up just over 2 years ago. I think I'm worse off now than I was when smoking lol.

Plus I have put 3 stone on somehow!

Lucky you!!

Yes, know what you mean I get a mighty 2.5mb. My exchange is Infinity enabled but the roadside box that serves me is a good 3 km's to the next box that I know for sure is Infinity enabled. I'm also a further km away from my nearest box......that makes me a good 7 km's away from the exchange, in fact my house is the most distant point on the Buckley exchange. Still, it could be worse, our nearest neighbours just half a mile away are the last houses on the Deeside exchange and they barely get 1 mb from what I'm told. So much for the Welsh Assembly saying everyone will have fast broadband by 2016.

Pete

• Like 1

woo hoo :yahoo:

broadband engineer been and gone

the profile was incorrectly set - so gone from a measly 6mb upto 14mb speed ............... and all on copper :teeth:

can't wait to see what Fibre Optic will allow me when it arrives