Flywheels

dannybz

How can you tell a flywheel is gone?

I have taken the clutch out to replace and I'm not really sure if I need to change the flywheel too?

Should mention that it was all from factory under there by the looks of it. Car has done 71k.

Edited by dannybz

If you do not have the correct equipment to test a DMF then follow below.

There are 4 stages.

Stage 1 - 2 are visual inspections. bla, bla, bla.

Step 3: With fly still fitted rotate the inner mass by hand anticlockwise and mark the flywheel then rotate it clockwise and measure the travel. Replace if movement is less than 15mm or more than 30mm.

Step 4: Check for bearing play by rocking the inner mass from side to side. replace if movement is more than 2mm.

The above is just general guidelines, however at 71K it will be fooked.

Alex. :)

• Like 2

The question is though for the cost of the flywheel plus the time it's taken you to get to the stage you're at do you really want to be doing that again say a few months later if the flywheel starts giving you trouble?

Personally I'd replace the flywheel at the same time as the clutch as well as spigot bush & release bearing. ;)

• Like 3

If you do decide to change the flywheel, think about getting a lightened SM one, makes a massive difference to the driveability.

Edit; plus they're a bit cheaper than DMF's :thumbs:

Edited by MrChow
  • Like 1

If you do decide to change the flywheel, think about getting a lightened SM one, makes a massive difference to the driveability.

Edit; plus they're a bit cheaper than DMF's :thumbs:

+1.

I'd definitely be looking at a lightened flywheel. A little noisier but then for me the benefits outweigh that. ;)

Give Clark Motorsports a PM to see what they can do for you Danny ~ Ewen should at least be able to give you some good advice. :thumbs:

• Like 1

I hear you guys but it's just the cash at the mo is a bit low! lol I'm not sure what to do.

Its false economy to do anything other, when i bought my car the previous owner had just changed the clutch but because he was selling the car he didnt want to do the flywheel because of cost, it judders pulling away at low revs.

If i decide to sell the car, are people usually willing to pay a bit more when the clutch and fly is quite new?

How much noisier is a light flywheel tried looking for some examples online cant find any videos... i want some kind of idea how it will sound :p

There are plenty of videos on YouTube not all 350z but you will get an idea. After listening to a few I have decided lightweight flywheel is not for me as I don't like the chatter it makes. Some won't mind this though.

• Like 1

If i decide to sell the car, are people usually willing to pay a bit more when the clutch and fly is quite new?

How much noisier is a light flywheel tried looking for some examples online cant find any videos... i want some kind of idea how it will sound :p

not sure someone would pay more for the car but if you have receipts for a new clutch & fly then your Zed would be preferred to one that hasn't I guess...

Some info in these thread's Danny: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/74597-competition-clutch-flywheel-fitted/

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/58337-dual-mass-flywheel-or-single/

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/77065-lightweight-fly-and-new-oem-clutch/

There is a video comparison that one of the members did between his old DMF and a new SMF but I can't find it unfortunately. It's on here somewhere though. ;)

Just to mention for me the light fly is the best mod I've done so far and it would be the first thing I did if I ever bought another Z, makes the car much nicer to drive. (in my opinion).

Definitely, you really notice the difference pulling away, seems to pick up a fair bit quicker :drive1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ :doh: Oh well too late now for him Neil.

I know Trig on here just recently imported some throttle bodies for his 350Z engine from the states and he got stung for £150 when they landed this end. Bearing in mind they will have weighed less than that flywheel.

Hope it get's through customs quickly for you Danny and somehow escapes any customs charges.

I speak from experience on this as I thought I was getting a deal on camber arms, ended up taking 3 weeks to clear customs and then I paid about 60 quid on VAT and Duty. The other issue is that if there is any issue, you pretty much have no comeback on the item.

I'm not sure why the question was asked about it and then straight away bought it.

Total false economy buying from the states. I'm pretty sure a couple of our importing traders could have done a better deal on this item :shrug:

• Like 2

You should really wait for advice from people, after you ask, as there is so many people on here who have made similar decisions and lived to regret it (including myself). Its not the postage that is the issue, its uk customs clearing which is a ballache. Also, the seller can't mark down the cost to avoid duty as you won't be insured for the value if it doesn't appear.

I once bought a "Password JDM" tow hook for my Civic Type R from a US site thinking I was saving money over the prices here in the UK. It was $49 odd (£32est) delivered to the UK and at the time that was cheap as they where £59 odd here.

Anyway I waited for it to come and eventually I got a letter from Royal Mail saying it was ready for collection at my local sorting office but there where some customs charges to pay first. Ended up paying around an extra £39 odd (customs duty/import VAT/handling charge) making it even more expensive than if I had just bought one from the UK. :dry::angry:

I was lucky though as I complained to the US seller who said if I could prove the extra costs I had to pay then they would refund me some of the costs. I scanned the letter from Royal Mail showing the costs I paid and they did in fact refund me the extra I paid for the customs duty charge. Still ended up costing me more though & being more hassle than if I had just paid for the one from the UK in the first place.

• If you buy goods online from outside the EU for delivery to the UK, you'll have to pay Customs Duty (if over £120 value) and Import VAT (if over £18) on top of the purchase price (including duties), though CustomsDuty is waived if the amount of the calculated duty payable is £7 or less.