Dual Mass Flywheel or Single??

chocohercules

Depends what you use the car for?

Some complain it's a little noisy with a single - should rev quicker but if it's all cruising and your DD you may want the smoothness a DM offers?

Any other supporting mods to take advantage of a lighter fly?

As Keyser says depends what you are after. Personally having had a SM flywheel in my old 350z, for the driving I did, it wasnt worth it. If I had it as a track car it would be fine, but for me the noise at low revs was annoying and the missus then didnt like driving the car if I ever needed her to. Just took away some of the great GT aspects of the car, so long drives were just noisier and not as nice.

I'd suggest finding someone with one and seeing what you think of it.

For another perspective, if I was changing the flywheel I would only ever consider a SM one. The extra free revving ability that it gives you brings the car alive in a way that another 30bhp would struggle to do, and it feels like a proper sports car rather than a lumbering ol' lump. The slight rattle you get at idle is nothing more than a minor niggle compared with the benefits you get. One of the best mods you can do to any car IMHO.

The truth sits somewhere between mine and Chris' opinions, I would think. :)

Why the extra noise? What's causing that?

Vibrations that come through the transmission are damped by the dual mass flywheel which can (not sure Nissan did) be tweaked to dial out specific frequencies of noises/rattles. I think Audi do this with most of their cars.

I'd really suggest that you try out a car with one if you are unsure. Many dont find it a problem, but mine just felt a bit broken at lower revs (<2.5k) which being quite a lazy driver when I have passengers, it made you quite aware I had a SM flywheel. The pickup, while better, wasnt noticable during day to day driving, but the rattle most definately was.

Horses for courses and all that. Plenty find it makes a nice difference and the sound doesnt bother them, and plenty of people find it doesnt make much difference to performance but the sound is annoying. I was kind of in between and I know there are other less vocal members out there that feel the same, hence why I'd suggest getting in a car with one to see what its like :thumbs:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/gear_rattle.htm

I was worried about the noise or chatter when I first got it fitted but it really isn't that bad, if you search on utube you will hear some terrible ones on other cars :surrender:

I have the set from Zman, Exedy Clutch & Fidanza flywheel :woohoo:

Thanks Dave, interesting read. I'm more used to dealing with bikes which also have this problem but I didn't realise that was the problem here too. Cheers.

If you're changing the flywheel, do the clutch at the same time as the labour involved far outweighs the cost of the parts. :thumbs:

Definately. Its usually the cluctch that goes first, but whether one needs doing or the other, always do both :thumbs:

Another quickie!!

Did Nissan ever change the flywheels over the years with the 3 different type engines:

280bhp normal DE

300bhp Rev up DE (my model)

313bhp HR

As I got a quote for £180 for a Single Mass but was told it will fit only up to 2005 but mine is a 2007 stuck in the back of the warehouse NON HR??? Here we go :bang:

• 7 months later...