Any DIY Plastidippers on here, show us your car

zebedy

After spending hrs watching vids on Youtube in particular "dipyourcar.com" the more I'm getting that this might be a sensible option over painting. I've really bought into the idea of being able to change the colour of your car as and when you want to without lasting damage and complete minimal prep time for painting, something Im dieing to try out myself. I think after the initial purchase of the heardware etc, it could be a realitivly cheap option of re-painting. Now with advance technology of glossifiers, pearls and flips etc, the dip no longer has to be a dull Matte finish.

anyone one here thinks this is an option for them and if so what colour would you choose for your car. Anyone also with dipping experience. Would love to know what its like to live with and how easy was it to do.

Even though I can paint my car FOC by my brother in the conventional manner, this I think is a better option for what I have planned.

zeb.

its not all that great mate, used it out of cans, with proper prep work. Did it all properly with glossy top coat (cant remember the proper terms off the top of my head) Ive done a lot of spraying and painting in my time, and wasn't impressed. Im not a professional painter or anything though

it really doesn't stand up well to stone chips, and isnt as durable as they say

but tbf i did do it with cans, but that should only affect the texture.

its been around for a long time, and still hasn't really taken off. nothing will beat a good paint job

just my 2 cents, feel free to disagree

Edited by Desey

I find the comments rather funny.

I started spraying a few small items with cans and then stepped up to full car projects. Cans > sprayer, there's a huge difference and now with all the new products there's a huge amount variations you can create

Ok it's not for everyone, that's what makes us individual just as some people like loud exhausts and others like to be more OEM.

In regards to starting a project and living with it below is a few things to know:

It's quicker and easier than wrapping

(I also wrap)

The setup is pretty cheap, my personally fave gun is actually a garden spray gun (I can get the name)

If your using a bright colour always always use a light base.

Always mix 50/50 dip and thinners.

Pearls, gloss, flips are more of a challenge

(Get comfortable with using the product first)

It's easy to repair if you do ever manage to damage / tear the dip

(Pearls / flips again require a little finesse)

When washing dip you have to use a soapy leather, don't let a microfibre anywhere near it otherwise you will be picking fluff off of it forever.

Paint care products become limited.

If your looking to use any split panel colours or graphics dip isn't for you.

Dip can be expensive the more you get into the fancy finishes.

You will use at least 10L of dip on a 350z personally I would consider going upto 15L. By experience sometimes a dip looks finished but it is actually real thin, a nice thick finish is a quality finish.

A bunch of random info I know, it's just some things I could pull off the top of my head

I will find some pictures from a couple of the projects I have done and post them up, if you want any further info feel free to send me a message

• Like 1

I plasti-dipped over the chrome fuel filler cover on my jeep . . it looked really good B) . . . until I filled up with fuel and some dripped on it The petrol just dissolved and ate it away :angry: . . I will be re-doing with Truck Bed Liner :lol:

So be warned, Plastidip + anything other than water = ball ache. Petrol is prob the worst, but what about a small oil spill, or over spray from window cleaner.

I would get a small sheet of metal and spray it your self, then test different liquids etc that your car could come in to contact with.

Also . . if lets say there was a small rip or tear . . all those people who pick scabs would not be able to resist picking another bit off, before you know it you come out of tesco's to find most of your bonnet has been "peeled" :lol:

Edited by DoogyRev

I have never played with Plasti Dip at all - maybe I should -

Mind you I fancy building a big oven and powder coating a whole car - now there is a project :lol:

:sorry:

I have issues :lol:

I have never played with Plasti Dip at all - maybe I should -

Mind you I fancy building a big oven and powder coating a whole car - now there is a project :lol:

:sorry:

I have issues :lol:

looks like thats project Zed Shed - Ménage à trois sorted then :lol:

You can get paint now that is petrol resistant. As I said its moved on along way since that dull matt finishes. I'm not put off at all because if its crap I can peel it off. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers peanut. At least you've got an insight so you know what you are talking about.

For small areas it looks good, for a whole car it looks not to bad from a distance and @*!# up close. I went to a trade stand last year that had loads of those little car shells painted in hundreds of different colours of dip, including flip, candy and metallics. They all looked like @*!# up close :lol:

I did my door handles and emblems, its okay. But for some reason it keeps peeling off the 3, which is PIA!

Possibly reacting with something underneath?

Could be, I've de-greased the emblem, but its still doing it, tried it about 4 times now so thinking i might just remove the 350z bit altogether.

I did mine and the mrs rear badges and mine stuck on but looked crap up close and hers blew off after about two washes, personally wouldn't use it again as its messy and not the best of finishes having messed around with it on my center caps one quiet nightshift.