oil woes smokey car...

-Bradders-

ok so dont hate me i got oil and filter from ecp... the guy asked the milage on the car and said ahh its high.. then you want 5w40.. and so i said oh ok ill have that then.. now the car is smoking like a rocket.. could it be the oil or a coinsidence and my engine is fubar??

Suppose it depends what was in it before (if anything :scare:)

Thicker oil should (as said above) smoke less - I've seen 350's run on 10w/50 with no ill effects - especially if you run hot (like I did with High comp pistons and FI) I did always warm her up though :thumbs:

I don't like coincidences though, unlikely that changing the oil would cause the engine to die, - You did nothing else when you changed the oil - just filter off, new one on and remove/replace the sump plug? Nothing else that you may have put back together wrong by mistake???

The only other thought that jumps into my head is if the valve seals were worn and you used a thicker oil, you may actually increase compression (marginally) that may let more oil in via the seals hence the smoke - but I really am clutching at straws at this point :lol:

As above...

And just in case:

(looking at other threads of this nature and clutching at straws as I've no idea)

no harm in trying some injector cleaner first.

possible head gasket (have coolant levels gone down?? but more likely to just be white smoke)

check the PCV valves as well (someone reported it being snapped in half!)

check the oil pressure sender is tightened up.

Edited by RobPhoboS

And another wild one - you did your plugs recently too yes? - was there any oil in the plug tubes that could have found its way into the cylinders? Might be just a temporary little pool burning off inside the decat exhaust as it gets hot - maybe :shrug:

• Like 1

Ditch the shell fluid and refill with a recommended tried and tested brand, suitable for the VQ35DE.

What oil brand were you running prior to this issue ?

Remember and empty out the filter as well which should be OEM.

Also check that the ECV is working as it should, you will find it screwed into the cam cover.

• Like 2

I would start by swapping the oil filter you fitted with another, just in case its causing a restriction, and as said check the functionality of the PCV system as this can also cause smoke if its malfunctioning,

What grade of oil was in there before the change? unless you where using 10w50 or 60 I cant see the oil causing the smoke.

You have just answered your own problem,

When you removed your old oily plugs you have released a pool of oil I tot he combustion chamber which hopefully wasn't enough to compress & bend your rods on first atartup (I doubt it as it probably would have locked on the starter)

Now all the oil that has drained down is burning off on your headers & cats! This should probably clear after a while but don't go Hooning it until it clears

• Like 4

PCV, Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve.

From wiki, 'cos I'm lazy:

The PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve is a one-way valve that recycles crankcase gases back into the engine to burn. A plugged PCV valve can result in a rough idle and poor mileage. Worse, it can cause costly oil leaks.

pvc? evc? were are these things lol

They are the same thing, just different terminology and I told you where it is fitted in my last post. ;)

ECV = Emission Control Valve.

Edited by ZMANALEX
  • Like 1

is it something thats plugged in? maybe i unplugged it and didnt put it back lol? ill have a look today!!

It screws into the R/H cam cover beside #1 coil pack,and a breather hose leads from there.

You can't miss it.

• Like 1