Twin turbo 350z build.

TT350

• 1 month later...

Absolute nightmare of a journey. Set off at 8 and just got home now at 2:30am.

Sat nav kept sending me up and down the same stretch of motorway. Then it turned itself off. Then it kept going "I'm sorry...if you said something, I didn't quite catch it" in response to its OWN voice while it was giving me directions.

Got aaaaaalmost home. Junction 21A to Leeds F*&$ING closed. Hour diversion.

Then to put icing on the cake it was torrential rain the whole way.

All these plus the fact I absolutely loathe the Focus so 7 hours in it wasn't fun.

Also....was empty when i filled to the brim. 46 litres. Empty again after a 220 mile trip mostly at 50mph in 6th. 21.7mpg.

Still was nice to meet Adrian briefly.

Bed.

• Like 1

Hey up thee!

I've decided that I want to remove my HKS blow off valve. And not replace it with anything.

I love the old Audio Quattro S1 E2 turbo flutter sound and I've always wanted that sound for myself.

I just thought it was down to what car you had. As some make that sound and others don't. Particularly, Supers. I see a lot of them on YouTube making turbo flutter.

So I've found out how to get it and it's simply remove the BOV.

I see conflicting opinions on damage it causes to the turbo's. And it's 50/50.

I'll try it for a while, though.

My HKS BOV doesn't make a very special sound at all. It's barely audible.

Skip to 1:55

Edited by TT350

I'm not sure removing the BOV will definitely give you turbo flutter sound you want but it's worth a try. Be interested to know how it sounds afterwards.

Turbo flutter is basically compressor surge. I wanted my old WRX to sound like the rally cars it emulated but I was advised against it at the time when modifying it.

Before getting into blowoff valves, it’s important to understand turbo flutter, also known as compressor surge. When you’re flat out and your turbocharged engine is producing peak boost, you have fast airflow at high pressure traveling through your intake system after the turbo compressor. When you let off the gas, you close the throttle body, momentarily giving you a spike in intake pressure but with no airflow. The air has to travel somewhere, so it heads back through the turbocharger. The fluttering you hear is the air escaping back through the turbo as the compressor wheel fights this motion. Though it sounds awesome, there is no performance nor reliability benefit from this occurring. That’s where blowoff valves come in.

Definitely interested to see how you get on with doing that. ;)

I've read a lot of stuff like that but then a lot of other stuff countering it.

Especially on YouTube, the method seems to just be remove the BOV and a whoooole range of cars from mundane diesel work horses to 1200hp supra make the sound.

I don't see why it wouldn't make that sound.

What would be the reason one car would make it then the other car wouldn't?

Edited by TT350

It won't damage a modern turbo, they're not ceramic blades any more. The stalling of the turbo when the wastegate shuts is insignificant in performance terms, a recirc BOV doesn't really help matters very much at all as we're talking tiny fractions of air. Where it does help is air metering over a VTA BOV.

On local turbo setups (I.e. not rear mount) then you can see significant throttle response gains on some setups from removing a recirc BOV from the setup.

• Like 1

Interesting read..

"Both turbo flutter and compressor surge occur when the air pressure after the turbo is higher than what the turbo can maintain. The difference is that compressor surge occurs while you're on the throttle and compressor blades in the turbo stall. This causes loss of boost pressure, thus loss of horsepower, probably bad AFR. Over time, repeated compressor surges damages the bearings in the turbo and it goes kaputz"

"Turbo flutter, on the other hand, occurs on turbo cars that do not have BOV or DV when the throttle is released and the compressed air after the turbo is trapped by the throttle body and forced to go backward through the turbo, causing brief moments of stalling. While still the same as compressor surge, since turbo flutter doesn't occur while the turbine is loaded (exhaust spinning the hot side of the turbo), the damage to the bearing is not as bad, if not negligible"

Got to say...a lot of what I'm reading notes two types...

Compressor surge (which is bad)

Turbo flutter (which is benign)

And while they are sort of the same, flutter due to no BOV is not bad.

" The difference between surge and flutter and what their consequences are is one of the most misunderstood phenomenons in turbocharging systems. True surging is the bad thing and only time its going to be really bad is at VERY high boost and mostly when the turbo is actually surging because the engine itself can't flow enough. A "Surge" sound (or flutter) because of no BOV or something will not blow a turbo in any quick amount of time"

• 1 month later...

More bits coming.

Adjustable Coil overs

Aluminium coolant overflow tank

Stage 4 clutch (750ib/ft)

Adjustable F+R swaybars with adjustable end links

Stop tech grooved discs and Hawks pads

Full engine gasket kit

Performance radiator

Aluminium fan shroud kit

Stillen oil cooler

320lp/h in tank fuel pump

1000cc injectors

Gearing up to get the car in at the garage. The end is in sight now. It's been 2 years of waiting and saving.

• Like 1