German Wings Pilot "locked out"

glrnet

Funnily enough the crash report was released o the LAM E190 that went down in November 2013 - the co-pilot left the cockpit and the captain then locked the door and turned off various management systems before decking it into the ground. This would indicate that it was deliberate, and the CVR recording "repeated banging" on the cockpit door suggests that the crew knew what was happening :(

The weird thing about the possibility of this being deliberate is that assuming it was a terror nutter, it's not very terrifying if they don't take credit for it. There's not much point blowing yourself and a load of other people up in the name of [insert terror cause here] if you don't then got on the youtube and start banging on about it and firing bullets up in the air etc etc

People are nowhere near as terrified if these things turn out to be maintenance fails, rather than it if was a [terror group] attack. Even though the end result is much the same :shrug: and considerably more preventable than the lone nutcase scenario.

something doesnt add up...... someone at the front of the plane is trying to break the cockpit door in while the plane decends shaply for 8 minutes... even if people dont realise whats going on for 4 minutes (hard to believe) that gives people a further 4 minutes to turn on phones and send a message or call a loved one and say goodbye or something??? and not one message was sent? very odd

Most of the times no signal above 1000m altitude, this happened in a mountain area...

yeah i was thinking that.... but i have driven the Col d'Allos which passes within 3 miles of the crash site and had perfect phone signal even at the top of the col (2,250 m (7,380 ft)

you would have though SOMEONE might have sent a text or something......

not good..... people could be heard screaming before the crash... that must make it even harder for the relatives!!! at least a massive decompression COULD have killed everyine before the decent but knowing that they knew is horrible

Most of the times no signal above 1000m altitude, this happened in a mountain area...

It's not just altitude, great swathes of South America are above 1000m and mobiles work fine. I had no problems making calls in La Paz at 4000m (though I couldn't talk for being out of breath :lol: ). The big problems with planes and mobiles is the handoff between cells as you travel is designed to work at 40-100 mph, once you start hauling ass at 400mph the hand off between cells is much more likely to fail and you are more likely to be impinging on multiple cells at once (assuming there is network coverage on the land beneath).

• Like 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32063587

The co-pilot of the Germanwings plane that crashed into the French Alps on Tuesday appeared to want to "destroy the plane", French officials said.

Marseille prosecutor Brice Robin, citing information from the "black box" voice recorder, said the co-pilot was alone in the cockpit.

He intentionally started a descent while the pilot was locked out.

Mr Robin said there was "absolute silence in the cockpit" as the pilot fought to re-enter it.

Air traffic controllers made repeated attempts to contact the aircraft, but to no avail, he said.

Passengers could be heard screaming just before the crash, he added.

The co-pilot, now named as Andreas Lubitz, 28, was alive until the final impact, the prosecutor said.

I bet this turns out to be nothing more than a lone nutter, with no religious undertones at all. Depressed at work or home, nothing to live for, blaze of glory.

Very easy to believe that no-one knew until the final minute as it was such a gradual descent, and probably above cloud level. It wasn't until they got below that right at the end that they realised just how close the mountains were.

Sod. That.

• Like 2

I bet this turns out to be nothing more than a lone nutter, with no religious undertones at all. Depressed at work or home, nothing to live for, blaze of glory.

Very easy to believe that no-one knew until the final minute as it was such a gradual descent, and probably above cloud level. It wasn't until they got below that right at the end that they realised just how close the mountains were.

Sod. That.

Yes it was a cloudy day, but I bet the pilot outside the door knew they shouldn't be descending.. :scare:

Yes it was a cloudy day, but I bet the pilot outside the door knew they shouldn't be descending.. :scare:

I would say there were quite a few people on the flight who were thinking its a bit early to to be descending. Its pretty easy to tell if your going up or down and how long the flight it, especially in decent mode.

Its very sad, my thought are with all the family's :(

Certainly makes you think, I will be racking up the air miles this year :surrender: one of my flight choices for Oz is Air Malaysia .. . so who would book a flight with them? any takers?

• Like 1

Were you there Will or a mate of yours?... What else do we know, any inside info?

If you watched the rescue after it happened, they could not fly the rescue helicopters

due to low cloud, :surrender: Yes there is something else I know, but I cannot put it on here..!!! ;)

Sod. That.

they decended at twice the normal rate and the pilot was in the main cabin trying to break the door down to the cockpit.... you bet they knew something wasnt right!

I was on a flight home from the states last year and they asked for "a doctor or medical professional" over the speakers. You could hear people becoming panicked just at that, so much so that they came back on and insisted there was no need to worry, just that we might have to divert to Iceland :lol:

I can't imagine how quickly it went through the plane that the captain was locked out of the cockpit :( must have been truly terrifying!