Car squealing on start up

jayrishi

5 minute to job to fix (if you've got skinny arms).

Follow this guide but do steps 4/5/6 then skip to step 10.

http://www.350z-uk.c...ux-drive-belts/

If you've got skinny arms you can loosen the pulley and then reach down to the tensioner bolts from the top of the engine without removing the under tray. Just reach down round the back of the fans.

Its a bit tricky to find the tensioner bolts (as you can't see them from the top) but if you look at the guide it shows you where they are.

1 tip is to tie a bit of string onto your wrench and then leave the loose end hanging over the front of the car. This will enable you to find the wrench easily if you drop it into the under tray and it slides away under the engine.

When you tighten up the idler bolts don't over tighten as you can strip the thread (I did this!).

Edited by Randy_Baton

5 minute to job to fix (if you've got skinny arms).

Follow this guide but do steps 4/5/6 then skip to step 10.

http://www.350z-uk.c...ux-drive-belts/

If you've got skinny arms you can loosen the pulley and then reach down to the tensioner bolts from the top of the engine without removing the under tray. Just reach down round the back of the fans.

Its a bit tricky to find the tensioner bolts (as you can't see them from the top) but if you look at the guide it shows you where they are.

1 tip is to tie a bit of string onto your wrench and then leave the loose end hanging over the front of the car. This will enable you to find the wrench easily if you drop it into the under tray and it slides away under the engine.

When you tighten up the idler bolts don't over tighten as you can strip the thread (I did this!).

Yep, This ^^^^

If the belt is old Ill recommend getting a new one as old belts eventually stretch and begin to squeal. And though you can re-tension it to stop squealing it would stretch eventually and more likely to crack and fail.

While you are at it it worth changing the AC belt too.

Gates or continental belts are my pick. The rest is cheap crap.

• 1 year later...

For over a month now, I'm getting loud constant squeal from the belt which lasts 6-8 seconds immediately after I start the engine. I notice the belt squeal stops as soon as the volt reading reaches around 14v (which can take 6-8 seconds on a cold start) The Squeal happens on non cold starts too if left for more than 15 mins, although it's a not as bad / long then.

I have replaced the Battery with a brand new Optima Red top. The engine cranks into life instantly now, but the Squeal issue described above is still the same.

So this leads me to think it could be Alternator? or something else (loose belt). The belts were changed with brand new gates belts back in September 2015.

FYI in May 2015 i installed a new car audio system running a total of 900w RMS.

Any insight or advice you can give is much appreciated.

Ill add a video to demonstrate

https://vimeo.com/166207333

Edited by DarmoZ

Yeah, simple slippage, one of my 200SX's used to howl like a banshee especially on cool/cold damp mornings. As pretty much everyone has said, just tighten them a little but also take a few minutes to check what sort of condition they're in, more so if you don't know when they were last replaced.

Darmo, ive just had this issue myself! I had new belts fit and a new idler pulley. The squealing stopped for a bit but came back again after a month or so upon starting the car. The battery light had started to flicker upon startup too. The car then just cut out on me coming home from 5 a side and wouldn't start again. I then realised my alternator wasn't charing so I have replaced the alternator and its all good now.

Edited by Smc1992
  • Like 1

Darmo, ive just had this issue myself! I had new belts fit and a new idler pulley. The squealing stopped for a bit but came back again after a month or so upon starting the car. The battery light had started to flicker upon startup too. The car then just cut out on me coming home from 5 a side and wouldn't start again. I then realised my alternator wasn't charing so I have replaced the alternator and its all good now.

Hey Scott, ahh sorry to hear you had to go through that glad it's all sorted now :) My belt tensioning is tmr morning now and I'm hopeful that will be the final fix because the last few starts the squeal has not been as bad (like 3 seconds), makes me think it could be weather / temp related. Anyway, just in case it turns out to be Alternator for me also I might be back in touch to see where you bought yours from lol.

• Like 1

So the Mechanic this morning said that he can't tension the belts up any more because they are already tight, any more could result in a snap, he demonstrated to me and I agree. He checked the pulleys and they all seem fine, some slight shine on the alternator pulley which could be a sign of it slipping on this pulley but nothing to be overly concerned of.

His recommendation was to change the belts first.

So the Mechanic this morning said that he can't tension the belts up any more because they are already tight, any more could result in a snap, he demonstrated to me and I agree. He checked the pulleys and they all seem fine, some slight shine on the alternator pulley which could be a sign of it slipping on this pulley but nothing to be overly concerned of.

If you keep getting slippage and squaling after changing the belts - and running out of tensioner adjustment - consider checking belt length.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/104524-my-alternatorac-belts-are-the-wrong-size/

I had a similar issue and found that shorter belts fixed it. I put 6PK1148 and 4PK938 (instead of 6PK1173 and 4PK948) on mine and haven't heard a peep from the belts since.

I know it's completely incorrect for the Zed, but for whatever reason it works on mine.

But if your tensioners aren't at the end of their travel then it probably won't be this

Any help?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Just change the belts, I left mine and ended up stuck at side of the road with a flat battery after the alternator belt went "see ya".

After a weekend trackday/party where I couldnt wait to get home.

On a Sunday.

In the rain. :surrender:

Just change the belts, I left mine and ended up stuck at side of the road with a flat battery after the alternator belt went "see ya".

After a weekend trackday/party where I couldnt wait to get home.

On a Sunday.

In the rain. :surrender:

Ouch that doesn't sound pleasant! Will be changing them soon :)

Ive got exactly the same issue at the moment, occasionally squealing a little on start up but then goes away. As im selling the Z soon im thinking this is probably something I should get sorted as not to put potential buyers off.

What would I search to buy both belts?

Ive got exactly the same issue at the moment, occasionally squealing a little on start up but then goes away. As im selling the Z soon im thinking this is probably something I should get sorted as not to put potential buyers off.

What would I search to buy both belts?

Cougar store sell the belts pack £28 I think

• Like 1