My alternator/AC belts are the wrong size?

RavenDW

Some time back in the summer I replaced the belts on my 350z GT. Bought the Gates belts and got the 4PK948 and 6PK1173. I fitted them and they felt somewhat slack but I thought nothing of it, assuming everything was right. However, come the winter I experience a lot of belt squeal.

Investigation showed that there was not nearly enough adjustment on my pulleys to suit the belts. I've subsequently bought and fitted 4PK938 and 6PK1148 that fit snug and leave room for further adjustment.

What could be the cause of this? Has somebody fitted odd pulley wheels before I had it? I can't think of any other reason. I can't see anywhere that I could possibly alter the belts to take up the excess slack on the longer belts. Should I be worried about this or just carry on?

(I also got the P1078 error code shortly after, although I am assuming this is a coincidence and is something else I am looking into :headhurt:. Hoping it's the cam sensor.)