Gearbox & Diff oil change.....Molyslip ?

JEMAN

Hi all, now I'm looking at changing the above oils....even though a guy at work said they are pointless changing ? So my Z will be 12 years old later this year.......with 50k on the clock.....I've had it for 30 months.....it's had a full service history, so my question is should I put Molyslip in the gearbox as well ? Taking the above into account

Cheers

Mark

When I had my gearbox oil changed I had some Molyslip put in and afterwards I found that the gearbox was improved (smoother changes) going from 1st to 2nd and in 5th going to 6th.

Now whether that was down to the new oil though or the added Molyslip I couldn't say for definite but it's only around £10-£15 for a tube of Molyslip so it can't hurt to put it in is what I'm thinking. ;)

• Like 3

I had my gearbox and diff oil changed as soon as I brought my zed last July. Also added Molyslip into the gearbox. I would say there was slight improvement.

Not sure how often they should be replaced but if they haven't been changed, definitely worth changing. Did you go through your service history in details? Does the full service includes gearbox and diff oil change.

Ewen at Clarks Motorsports can sort you out on this. I got mine from him, service was excellent! Highly recommended B)

• Like 3

Tried the mollyslip, it was ok for a couple of months.Now changed to LiquiMolly and it has improved everything about the box and has been in for six months now with no sign of deterioration. NOT for use in an LSDthough.

• Like 1

I hate a 'meshy' sounding box, the sort where the noise bounces back when driving past a wall.That is not the case now though.I drained out the motul that went in with the MSlip and replaced it with the above.

Just so you know, the molyslip is probably worth plopping in for sure but most of the clunks come from the crappy transmission mount (and probably the diff bushings).

I have a Torque Solution poly mount installed for the transmission, no clunks, no odd feeling going from 1-2 & 5-6 like it did before and a far more direct, positive shift.

The downside is the transmission noise that's amplified into the cabin but it doesn't bother me.

Jez at H-dev sells some Hardrace rubber parts which I probably should have gone with tbh.

http://www.h-dev.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=25700 (transmission mount)

http://www.h-dev.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=25701 (engine & transmission mount)

:thumbs:

£338 for three mounts :wacko:

You only need the first one imho (specifically for the gear changing feeling).

My poly mount was £84 inc postage etc from the US but it's a bit noisy, the hardrace one won't be.

Look at the difference:

$_35.JPG

category28329_thumb_full.jpg

Easy to install:

Edited by RobPhoboS
  • Like 2

Just changed Engine oil, Diff Oil, Coolant and G/box with Molyslip - mainly as I had no idea how long it had been in there. Gear box feels smoother - All parts from Clarke Motorsport

• 1 year later...

I personally wouldnt use molyslip as the synchro's use friction to work properly if you add the moly slip this can undermine the works of the synchro. I recently changed the oil using Redline MT85 and after 50-60 miles the box felt as smooth as silk and got rid of a slightly Knotchey 1st gear.

Car has done 53k so not huge mileage but still a good idea to change it. Modern transmissions don't need molyslip and a good quality oil should suffice.

Hope this helps

Doing all the fluids on mine on Tuesday, plus pads all round (Nurburgring in a month!!!). Talked to the guys at Lockwood and Greenwood and, while its not something they do as a matter of course, they have had good reports of Molyslip making the gearbox sweeter. Its an agricultural device at best so any improvement has to be a win. Why is it that all the 'sports' cars I've owned either/or have crap gearboxes or stupid heavy clutches? Almost makes me want an auto box.......