Encounter with a 370Z

chrisday1990

The 70 are only 15bhp more than the HR 50s and weight ... What 50kg less? That's nowhere near enough to make a difference on the road. IMHO . You have to have 50+ bhp more or a massive weight difference to really pull away from another car on the road ( 2nd 3rd gear )

Agreed. The official 0-60 times say its 0.2 seconds difference. Blink and you would miss it!

• Like 4

This is slightly off topic but worth a mention....

I had a run in with a evo 8 a couple of days ago (private road officer), I fully expected him to pull away comfortably but there was absolutely nothing in it in third gear and part way into 4th until we let off.

Just goes to show that in the real world, BHP and stats don't count for as much as they do on paper. Granted had it been a standing start things would have been different.

I had a run in with a evo 8 a couple of days ago (private road officer), I fully expected him to pull away comfortably but there was absolutely nothing in it in third gear and part way into 4th until we let off.

Just goes to show that in the real world, BHP and stats don't count for as much as they do on paper. Granted had it been a standing start things would have been different.

An Evo 8 wont be running much more power than a zed (unless its tuned), plus as you said, it would have been a different story from a stand still.

The other big factor that could have played in your favour is if you got on the power first. the power is instant in the Zed but not so much in turbos. Zeds performances vary so much, people getting there DE mapped with minor mods and seeing 300bhp and then other DE owners are lucky to get their car anywhere near the 280bhp quoted.

I have a slightly off topic observation of my own that pertains to more of a `where the 370Z is not quite as fast as I would have expected`.

Along the M62 there are constant road works year after year and probably more 50mph limits than 70`s along its length. When I get to the end of the 50`s I just leave it in 6th and stick my foot down up to 70. Not particularly racing with anyone but I like to see how well and quick it gets up to 70 which, I must say, is a bit disappointing. It doesn`t really leave the majority of the other traffic very far behind and a lot seem to keep with it quite easily. It always pulls well and strong from low revs just not that quickly increasing the speed. I know I could drop down 2 or 3 gears and there`s no knowing whether they have already done so or not but I get the impression that most can stay fairly closely with it from 50 to 70 without changing down. Not much of a sprint or test I know, and probably a completely different outcome if I start dropping gears (VXR`s and Fabia RS excepted... ;)) but I thought these big NA engines were all about more grunt and low down pull and I would have expected to see a bigger advantage over the everyday family saloons and hatch backs being driven by granny tailgating me up to 70 ...... :dry:

An Evo 8 wont be running much more power than a zed (unless its tuned), plus as you said, it would have been a different story from a stand still.

The other big factor that could have played in your favour is if you got on the power first. the power is instant in the Zed but not so much in turbos. Zeds performances vary so much, people getting there DE mapped with minor mods and seeing 300bhp and then other DE owners are lucky to get their car anywhere near the 280bhp quoted.

Yea I couldn't help but feel like he fell victim to a bit turbo lag to be honest. It's just interesting because there really isn't a great deal in it between many of the performance cars from 200BHP to 300BHP in the real world, my girlfriends type r will tag along with the Z no problem until the higher gears and likewise the Z will hang with imprezas and evos etc. So back on topic I can't see there being much in it at all beween the 370Z and the 350.

I have a slightly off topic observation of my own that pertains to more of a `where the 370Z is not quite as fast as I would have expected`.

Along the M62 there are constant road works year after year and probably more 50mph limits than 70`s along its length. When I get to the end of the 50`s I just leave it in 6th and stick my foot down up to 70. Not particularly racing with anyone but I like to see how well and quick it gets up to 70 which, I must say, is a bit disappointing. It doesn`t really leave the majority of the other traffic very far behind and a lot seem to keep with it quite easily. It always pulls well and strong from low revs just not that quickly increasing the speed. I know I could drop down 2 or 3 gears and there`s no knowing whether they have already done so or not but I get the impression that most can stay fairly closely with it from 50 to 70 without changing down. Not much of a sprint or test I know, and probably a completely different outcome if I start dropping gears (VXR`s and Fabia RS excepted... ;)) but I thought these big NA engines were all about more grunt and low down pull and I would have expected to see a bigger advantage over the everyday family saloons and hatch backs being driven by granny tailgating me up to 70 ...... :dry:

6th Gear in my HR isn't the best either but tbh it is your top gear so it won't pull like a Ferrari lol Having said that at around 3000rpm in 5th the Z still pulls hard (and still giving you that shunt in the back if the pedals stabbed at) leaving most stuff behind. I'm guessing the 370 would also....

Edited by AMT

6th Gear in my HR isn't the best either but tbh it is your top gear so it won't pull like a Ferrari lol Having said that at around 3000rpm in 5th the Z still pulls hard (and still giving you that shunt in the back if the pedals stabbed at) leaving most stuff behind. I'm guessing the 370 would also....

If you are sitting at 2000rpm in 6th and plant it you wont be anywhere near your peak power thus rubbish cars can keep up no problem. But your not comparing apples with apples. Put a 1.6 at 50mph in top gear and accelerate and you will be lucky if it moves.

The car will more in any gear at almost any speed but if you want to put the fabia in its place then you best drop a few :thumbs:

• Like 1

This preoccupation with speed on the road between different cars is a no brainer.I personally buy cars on how they handle and feel behind the wheel,christ we've all had faster and slower cars I'm sure. If you are a competitive type then fill your boots on a track.Leave chat about tenths of a second for that, the reality is that in real world driving it means bugger all :)

I've had more fun wringing the neck out of a small engined car at legal speeds than any of the more powerful ditch finders I've owned.

This preoccupation with speed on the road between different cars is a no brainer.I personally buy cars on how they handle and feel behind the wheel,christ we've all had faster and slower cars I'm sure. If you are a competitive type then fill your boots on a track.Leave chat about tenths of a second for that, the reality is that in real world driving it means bugger all :)

I've had more fun wringing the neck out of a small engined car at legal speeds than any of the more powerful ditch finders I've owned.

Aha!, that might explain why most Saxo drivers usually rev the conkers off their engines until all tappets are dancing on the bonnet.

• Like 2

This preoccupation with speed on the road between different cars is a no brainer.

Maybe, but it makes for interesting conversation to a petrol head.

I don't think anybodys saying it's important to have the fastest car etc, certainly nobody is arguing you need more power to have fun, we're mearly discussing how weight and BHP makes a difference on the road.

• Like 1

I've never took my car to track besides 1/4 mile drag (and never will) so I am one of the ones who find it more satisfying to pull away in a straight line lol I like straight line pace then handling. Meh, but again I'm more of a GT car type than out and out track/sports car. I want good looks, reasonable handling but lots of in gear shove :)

• Like 1

350z will always win due to its sexy shape rather than the ugly shape of 370z ;)

Pretty similar looking :p

DSC_2378.JPG

Well guys, you've just help me make my mind up! Hubby wanted to upgrade the 350 to a 370, but looking at that photo of them side by side.....I have to agree with PPod, the 350 does look much sexier and it sounds like a 370 wouldn't be an improvement in performance either!

Just out of interest....this car belong to anyone on here?

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/nissan/370z/nissan-370z-z34a-v6-gt------------------2009/3643330

The 70 are only 15bhp more than the HR 50s and weight ... What 50kg less? That's nowhere near enough to make a difference on the road. IMHO . You have to have 50+ bhp more or a massive weight difference to really pull away from another car on the road ( 2nd 3rd gear )

This. I had a 370z Roadster for a few days the other year whilst my 350z HR Roadster was back at Nissan and to be honest, I felt my HR was actually quicker. Although I guess if you got the stop watch out and started timing things id expect on the road they were probably about the same.

If you were comparing an older DE 276bhp zed to a 370z then you`d notice the difference, but there really wasnt much between the HR & the 370z.

350z will always win due to its sexy shape rather than the ugly shape of 370z ;)

Pretty similar looking :p

DSC_2378.JPG

....I have to agree with PPod, the 350 does look much sexier and it sounds like a 370 wouldn't be an improvement in performance either!

http://www.pistonhea...---2009/3643330

I think you should `av gone to spec savers...... ;)

Edited by Wayne370Z

That Z looks like a good buy Katz B) Nice and local too.

The 70 is definitely quicker than the 50 in a straight line. At Bedford I was following Suits in his 70 and he could pull away from me. I was UpRev'd and running 300+ bhp too.

Edited by 370Ad

The 70 is definitely quicker than the 50 in a straight line. At Bedford I was following Suits in his 70 and he could pull away from me. I was UpRev'd and running 300+ bhp too.

Yes, the 370 is quicker but the difference does seem to be minimal and maybe a skilled driver in a 350 can reduced that further (not referring to myself as a skilled driver before you all jump on that lol)....just thinking maybe the 370 isn't the stepping stone to my GT-R.

Edited by Kraziekatz1

Yes, the 370 is quicker but the difference does seem to be minimal and maybe a skilled driver in a 350 can reduced that further (not referring to myself as a skilled driver before you all jump on that lol)....just thinking maybe the 370 isn't the stepping stone to my GT-R.

No its definitely not worth 2x the time price of a 50 if your just looking at performance. Totally agree.

You taking the final track time slot at Japfest then?! :teeth:

No its definitely not worth 2x the time price of a 50 if your just looking at performance. Totally agree.

haha...have you still got one left then? Hubby is doing an Ariel Atom track day this month, so maybe it could be my turn to take the zed to JPfest ;) It's the whole having to take 2 cars (for the kids) putting me off :( But then it is my birthday next week....maybe be you can all club together & get me it for my b'day lol

haha...have you still got one left then? Hubby is doing an Ariel Atom track day this month, so maybe it could be my turn to take the zed to JPfest ;) It's the whole having to take 2 cars (for the kids) putting me off :( But then it is my birthday next week....maybe be you can all club together & get me it for my b'day lol

Definitely worth treating your self if its your birthday next week! Yep one space left over the three forums so it won't be around for long I don't think.