my NANKANG's

Pritchard

Thought i'd put on a quick review.

Speaking about the rears only at the moment, i've gone from a 245/45/18 with a few mm of tread left. a summer tyre. and they were budgets - MrTyrePro or something. :)

I didnt have any worries with grip on those. i knew what they could do, and i trusted them.

having now done a couple of hundred miles on my new rubber, i am getting more and more nervous of them.

275/35/19 NANKANG, NS-20's

They are quite a bit wider, and should really have more contact with the road.

however, when pulling out from a junctions my traction control keeps kicking in, with what is really a controlled start.

i've turned off my TC just in case it was a rotational issue with the new wheels and was incorrectly kicking in but alas, wheelspin everywhere!

Surfice to say i havent yet dared to take a corner! so this is as far as the review goes with the fronts.

I know its winter and the surface quality and tarmac temps are not ideal. but down here in the south the air temps have been well above freezing. yet it feels like im driving in the wet all the time.

i kind of want my bald budget 18's back on, i felt safe with those!

tyre pressures are correct. tracking / camber hasnt yet been re-done since wheel fitment but they arnt at right angles!

Anyone else used this rubber? Found a few hits on Nankangs but not on the NS-20 flavour.

Pritchard

Edited by Pritchard
  • Like 1

Ive used Nankang NS2's and found they were OK in dry, bit hairy in wet, Ive got NS2-R's on my 135i and for track tyres in winter they are pretty astonishing, looks like the NS20 are a grade down from the NS2 so probably not a great choice for a car like the 350.

Its an old story but people recommend Falkens and Toyos for a reason ...... :)

• Like 1

these were on a special offer with the wheels. i knew why when they arrived - they were filthy. had obviously been fitted some time ago and never sold, or a customer cancelled (they were brand new, still had the rubber niblets). so i cant moan at the deal i got.

but i think the quicker i wear these out the better.

just thought i twas worth a notation in case anyone else uses the search button in the future for these ones...

Nankang ns20's are very much a budget tyre, the block design with multiple sypes in the tread blocks will give a very squidgy feel under load.

As Ekona would say these tyres are right up there as ditchfinders on a rear wheeled car with around 300bhp.

This year the NS20 is the tyre to be used in the 5 club Mazda mx5 mk1 championship, after some testing it is quite obvious the cars are going to be a bit lively.

• Like 1

Hi Pritchard,

increase your tire pressure about 3/10 . I have the ns2 tires and asked nakang about the pressure for 245/35/20 on the front and 275/35/20 at the rear. They recommended me to increase 2/10 on the front to 2,6bars and 3/10 on the back to 2,7 bars due to the "xl" (extra load" index) of the tire. Keep in mind that those tires are summer tires and really don´t work as they should at that low temps,.......with too less pressure on them it may intensify

Hope i could help u

Non-relavent but relevant to me (sorry Pritchard) but would people recommend the falkens then??

Falken 452's were a good mid range tyre, they've been discontinued, I had them and moved onto Vreds which are much better, loads of opinions on the whole subject but let's try and stay on topic for Pritchard, this might help you http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ of use the search function
  • Like 1

I got the same comments as above. Tested some Nankang NS2's 285 35 R18 drifting last weekend and they were a definite step backwards from the 275 45 18 Nankang AS-1's or achillies in the same size. Profile in this instance was definitely to blame.

but i think the quicker i wear these out the better.

That's one of the probems, they never seem to wear out My rear Bridgestones were down to the legal limit in not much over 9k while the Nankangs are only half worn (if that) after 11k :surrender: . Must be made of super hard rubber.

Pete

• Like 1

well bugga me i wasnt kidding - lost the back end on a roundabout tonight during 'casual' racing line with minimal throttle. caught me by complete surprise as i wasnt racing around, and didnt expect traction to break. i wouldve taken a Laguna at a faster speed for christ sake.

I know the above probably reads really vague and loosely based on facts... - we all know what we are comfortable with right? and then we have a different level for what we believe the car is comfortable with. well i was at speed and an angle of attack that were shallow, on a roundabout that i know. I would have taken (and have taken) it faster in the pouring rain without fear.

caught it before it spun, but the heart attack wasnt enjoyable. completely unexpected.

these are coming off !!

Edited by Pritchard

I would't put Nankangs on a Prius, way too many bad reviews about them. I'm sure they're not all bad, but any tyres that can be bought and fitted for £250 are not worth the time.

Andy hut mentioned Kumho KU39's, these are a very good tyre for the money and what I had on my 19's and what I would suggest you go buy now in 245/35 and 275/35 sizes. Check http://www.Oponeo.co.uk for some great prices :thumbs:

I was running on Nankangs as well when i first bought my Z and Almost lost it on the BandQ roundabout ( i think you know where that is ) was pulling off doing no more then 15mph and the backend slid i changed the tyre's the next day to dunlop's and have never had an issue like it again

increase your tire pressure about 3/10 . I have the ns2 tires and asked nakang about the pressure for 245/35/20 on the front and 275/35/20 at the rear. They recommended me to increase 2/10 on the front to 2,6bars and 3/10 on the back to 2,7 bars due to the "xl" (extra load" index) of the tire. Keep in mind that those tires are summer tires and really don´t work as they should at that low temps,.......with too less pressure on them it may intensify

Sorry, but this is totally wrong, more pressure will lead to less contact patch and even less grip. They arent "summer" tyres, the XL index doesnt really make any difference (unless youre reunning an extra load ;)) .......... and without being funny, just buy performance tyres for your performance car, its not that hard.

Id also reiterate that the NS2R is an extremely good tyre despite being made by Nankang ;)

• Like 1

Love my Nankangs :lol:

I don't get how people 'lose control/spin out' etc. As Docwra said, they are hairy in the wet, quite easy to spin up.

But i've never non intentionally had the back end come out...

These were on round Silverstone, no problems there.

Guess it's all about knowing your boundaries :shrug:

• Like 2

Thought i'd put on a quick review.

Speaking about the rears only at the moment, i've gone from a 245/45/18 with a few mm of tread left. a summer tyre. and they were budgets - MrTyrePro or something. :)

I didnt have any worries with grip on those. i knew what they could do, and i trusted them.

having now done a couple of hundred miles on my new rubber, i am getting more and more nervous of them.

275/35/19 NANKANG, NS-20's

They are quite a bit wider, and should really have more contact with the road.

however, when pulling out from a junctions my traction control keeps kicking in, with what is really a controlled start.

i've turned off my TC just in case it was a rotational issue with the new wheels and was incorrectly kicking in but alas, wheelspin everywhere!

Surfice to say i havent yet dared to take a corner! so this is as far as the review goes with the fronts.

I know its winter and the surface quality and tarmac temps are not ideal. but down here in the south the air temps have been well above freezing. yet it feels like im driving in the wet all the time.

i kind of want my bald budget 18's back on, i felt safe with those!

tyre pressures are correct. tracking / camber hasnt yet been re-done since wheel fitment but they arnt at right angles!

Anyone else used this rubber? Found a few hits on Nankangs but not on the NS-20 flavour.

Pritchard

Have you also got Nankangs fitted on the front wheels?

Sorry, but this is totally wrong, more pressure will lead to less contact patch and even less grip.That´s right if u increase the pressure of a tyre of same Load index. They arent "summer" tyres,( the NS20´s are summer tyres) the XL index doesnt really make any difference (unless youre reunning an extra load ;))Thats not true ,...have look at this guide from bridgestone on page 6 http://www.tiresafet...ment Manual.pdf. and without being funny, just buy performance tyres for your performance car, its not that hard.

Id also reiterate that the NS2R is an extremely good tyre despite being made by Nankang ;)

Thats fact and the reason why most of the tyre producers recommed higher pressure for those tyres

;)

Edited by Z_Lover

Mate, if youre going to quote something at least make sure its supporting your own point ........ the first is from your link, the second is me about 3 posts ago up there ^^

Reinforced or extra load tires require higher inflation pressure to attain the added load capacity.[/Quote]

the XL index doesnt really make any difference (unless youre running an extra load ;)

And seeing as you are fond of quotes, this is from Continental's website:

Unlike summer tyres (everyday standard tyres in the UK), winter tyres do not harden at lower temperatures.

In the UK, as there is no legal requirement to use winter tyres, the term "summer tyres" doesnt really mean anything other that "a tyre that isnt classified as a winter tyre", everything is a "summer tyre" from a MPSS through to a Chingdu Widowmaker :lol:

Edited by docwra

Mate, if youre going to quote something at least make sure its supporting your own point ........ the first is from your link, the second is me about 3 posts ago up there ^^

Reinforced or extra load tires require higher inflation pressure to attain the added load capacity.[/Quote]

the XL index doesnt really make any difference (unless youre running an extra load ;)

And seeing as you are fond of quotes, this is from Continental's website:

Unlike summer tyres (everyday standard tyres in the UK), winter tyres do not harden at lower temperatures.

In the UK, as there is no legal requirement to use winter tyres, the term "summer tyres" doesnt really mean anything other that "a tyre that isnt classified as a winter tyre", everything is a "summer tyre" from a MPSS through to a Chingdu Widowmaker :lol:

My friend,........the difference between summer and winter tyres is not the locacation where they are used,.....its the window of temperature they are used. "summer tyres" work well down to 6-7 degrees Celsius ,....winter tyres from 6-7 degrees and below,....so what??????

My 888s can be used up to -9c :D

so ur a lucky one,...... ;)

fact is that almost every tyre producer recommend an encrease of 0,2-0,3 of the the tyre pressure for the front and rear tyres when using "xl" load indexed tyres

Edited by Z_Lover