DO NOT use Shell in Crickhowell.

Chris Wiltshire

So after topping up a small amount earlier with the shell performance unleaded the zed began misfiring, idling rough, almost cutting out once you go past 2000k revs...

Basically had to nurse it to my local tesco garage, brimmed the tank and now it's back to normal!

Can only think it's dodgey fuel.

Cheers!

So you took your car back to Shell, informed them of the issue, showed them your receipt and asked for a refund?

If you topped up with a small amount, unless it was pure water you put in then I'm loathe to believe the fuel was the problem.

• Like 1

Zed was spot on all day. Fuelled up at the garadge and the problems began. Didn't want to drive back as I was nursing it to a teaco garadge I used regularly, filled up and the problems dissapeared.

Deffinatly a fuel problem from my experience..

Sounds like someone's pi**ed on your bonfire recently though..

• Like 1

Zed was spot on all day. Fuelled up at the garadge and the problems began. Didn't want to drive back as I was nursing it to a teaco garadge I used regularly, filled up and the problems dissapeared.

Well that's a bit rude, presumably you know how to spell garage though as you got it right in the first post?

He's an acquired taste :);)
  • Like 5

Well that's a bit rude, presumably you know how to spell garage though as you got it right in the first post?

Don't give Black Bettie's new owner a hard time Hawkyr :rant:

Im just saying theres no need to be rude about it

My point was that if you've only brimmed the tank with a few litres, then you're going to have to have done another 200 miles before you get to that fuel, if we assume they don't mix. If they do, which of course they would, then that fuel would've had to have been near enough water to have screwed your Zed that badly.

And even if we assume all that was true, then you should've told the garage to not only get a refund, and to protect yourself in case you've had serious engine damage, but also to protect other motorists from the same fate. To not do so is a tad negligent, if you want me to be honest.

So how empty were you? How much did you put in? How far did you go before you had issues? You were quick to jump both to a conclusion as well as on my back, but there's still questions to be answered here I think.

• Like 3

Im just saying theres no need to be rude about it

Rude about what ..?? :surrender:

How low did you let the fuel get before you gave it a little top up from Shell? Was the light on?

Just wondering if maybe the filter picked up some crud from the bottom of the tank but since cleared itself after being driven & then properly fueled up. :dry::shrug:

Also hope you're only using Super Unleaded. ;)

• Like 2

Ok well I appreciate if Ekona wasnt being rude, just came across as if I don't know what I'm doing.. Sorry if I came across as a rude person. Yes I'm new to owning a zed but far from being a noob regarding Motors etc

Anyway just trying to help if someone is based around that area then it may be a good idea to use a different garage for a bit.

Only ever use high octane fuel preferably tesco momentum but this is hard to find over in Brecon. Well where I was it was.

Will let the garage know in the morning.. yes garage without the "d" (hawker)..

From what I'm making out from your original post,

You filled up at shell.

Noticed car started running @*!#. So went and topped up at tesco?

What we need to know is

- were you empty when you filled up at shell?

-how much did you fill up with at shell?

-how far did you drive before you filled up at tesco?

I only ask because if you filled up a full tank at shell, and then drove straight to tesco and topped up, that wouldn't really make much difference.

#teamtarmac

From what I'm making out from your original post,

You filled up at shell.

Noticed car started running @*!#. So went and topped up at tesco?

I read it as he put a small amount in at Shell, noticed it running @*!#, then filled at Tesco. :shrug:

But regardless...

What we need to know is

- were you empty when you filled up at shell?

-how much did you fill up with at shell?

-how far did you drive before you filled up at tesco?

That.

Sure,

Wasn't empty, pretty sure it was on the second line. Topped up £15 at shell, barely drove a few miles as we pulled up for refreshments. Fired the zed back up and hit the road, into 3rd and then started to chug real bad and missing. Car was ok if it was once in 6th gear going at 2000k but anything more and it would play up. Idle was all over the place. Pretty sure it had a funny smell too. Loss of power.

Drove about 30miles steadily to the tesco garage, topped up £47 which brimmed the tank. After a few mins idling the zed was back to normal, responsive, clean and crisp.

It's been faultless apart from that and a great pleasure to drive.

I've put about £300 of fuel in the last 6 weeks and all has been good apart from the shell top up.

So, you added ~12 litres of Shell fuel to ~20litres of whatever was in the tank already and you think that this was enough to make it run rough after just "a few miles"?

To be honest, that brings us back to;

If you topped up with a small amount, unless it was pure water you put in then I'm loathe to believe the fuel was the problem.

Good point, but surely 12 litres of contaminated fuel would make a difference especially if the existing amount of original fuel is small.

If that's the case we could throw in 70 litres of petrol and 10litres of water to save money as there wouldnt be a difference. That's on a UK 80l tank.

Liquids will mix quickly in my eyes especially on the roads in Brecon.

Edited by Chris Wiltshire

Possibly yes, but the fuel would have to have been of the most horrendous quality for it to do that, and if it was you can be sure that you wouldn't have been the only person suffering there that day. Local news might even have picked it up, especially if it was the super unleaded that was shot and people in their expensive motors filling the tank right up where having their engines destroyed.

If you had in your tank 70L of decent fuel and then put in 10L of, say, 87RON fuel, then I don't think you'd notice any difference. That's why I said it would've had to have been near enough water for it to suddenly become that catastrophic to run. When it was running badly, did it throw any CELs at all? Did you at any point pull over, stop the engine, then restart again? How quickly after you filled up at Tesco did the car then become responsive again?

Good point, but surely 12 litres of contaminated fuel would make a difference especially if the existing amount of original fuel is small.

If that's the case we could throw in 70 litres of petrol and 10litres of water to save money as there wouldnt be a difference. That's on a UK 80l tank.

Liquids will mix quickly in my eyes especially on the roads in Brecon.

still cant see it saying your shell fuel was vpower

Edit multi quote hasnt worked :s

Edited by StevoD