The DVLA are a Bunch of Thieves...!!

WhackyWill

As a few on here know I sold my Zed on the 30th November.

All paperwork sent to the DVLA, log book, V5 etc show sale of car as the 30th November.

I was then due a 3 months tax refund, Dec 14, Jan & Feb 15.

After 6 phone calls, 2 letters and 4 emails, they yesterday sent me £83.33p

instead of £137.50. So I assume they have ONLY refunded me for

Jan and Feb 15...!! :rant:

So back on the phone again today.. :rant:

Edited by WhackyWill

You're lucky you got January too if it's only been paid today, Will. They make it clear that they will only refund full & complete months based on when the paperwork is processed. Unless the payment has taken 16 days (or more) to come through, you're lucky to have got anything for this month at all.

yeah its pretty straightforward, it shouldn't have anything to do with when they receive the letter (which could easily be delayed) or when the process the paperwork (which could be weeks) a date of sale or transfer is the date. if that date was 30th November, you're due 3 months tax back, it should be so simple. Luck should have nothing to do with it!

• Like 1

I sent them the paperwork the following day 1st class. You normally get a letter

confirming you are no longer the owner of the car. Didn't even get one of those.

I know the Zed was taxed from the 1st December by Chris (new owner) as he did it

on line from my house. :angry:

That's as may be, but the DVLA clearly state the terms of its refunds which is full months from when the paperwork is processed, therefore you weren't due anything from December unless they received and processed the paper work on the same day that you mailed it to them! You might feel hard done by, but that's the (clearly stated) process.

It's also nothing to do with the new system because this part was exactly the same under the old paper disc system too.

• Like 1

That's as may be, but the DVLA clearly state the terms of its refunds which is full months from when the paperwork is processed, therefore you weren't due anything from December unless they received and processed the paper work on the same day that you mailed it to them! You might feel hard done by, but that's the (clearly stated) process.

It's also nothing to do with the new system because this part was exactly the same under the old paper disc system too.

That's unbelievable...They certainly are thieves if that's the case...so they were paid TWICE for Dec then.. :rant: :rant:

PS..

Just realised they processed the paperwork in Jan..!! so why didn't they stop Jan as well then... :scare: :scare:

This cannot be right..!!! :rant: :rant:

Edited by WhackyWill

wow what a terrible system. so the DVLA can just sit on the paperwork for a few weeks if they want to, and keep the extra road tax even though you sent them the form promptly when you sold the car. how quickly do the DVLA sent you out a refund? As i'd be very tempted to tell the future owner, well, the DVLA haven't been arsed to sort the paperwork, so as far as they're concerned its still taxed. If the DVLA cant be bothered to process V5c forms promptly, and refuse to take any notice of the date of sale, then why on earth should a new buyer have to retax a car immediately as soon as they purchase it? what a joke, no wonder people have absolutely zero faith in the DVLA. As Will says, bunch of thieves.

Edited by brillomaster
  • Like 2

I always thought refunds went from the date the DVLA actually received the paperwork. So, in your case, I expect it arrived at the DVLA maybe 1st or 2nd of December, in which case that meant you would miss out on a refund for December.

I know thats exactly what happened when I sold my zed. I sold it on the last day of May, posted it all off and because the paperwork didnt arrive with them until June I missed out on Junes refund. Like you, my zed was higher tax bracket, so i missed out on 40quid.

• Like 1

Nothing has changed. It's been like that for 20+ odd years. :shrug:

Under the old system I coluld have passed on the 3 months tax to the new owner

so he wouldn't have to tax it for Dec so that way they wouldn't receive 2 lots of tax

for the same month, under the new law its impossible NOT to have it taxed twice for

the same month. :rant: :rant:

• Like 1

Nothing has changed. It's been like that for 20+ odd years. :shrug:

Under the old system I coluld have passed on the 3 months tax to the new owner

so he wouldn't have to tax it for Dec so that way they wouldn't receive 2 lots of tax

for the same month, under the new law its impossible NOT to have it taxed twice for

the same month. :rant: :rant:

In which case you wouldn't have received any refund at all and thus you would have been worse off! :scare:

Under the old system, you had the option to cash in any remaining tax (at any time, to an extent) for the refund by sending the disc off to the DVLA (separate to the V5C), in which case the new owner would still have to buy a new disc - thus had you chosen to refund the remaining tax under the old system, there would still be the same overlap in December.

The new system merely removes that option (and the paper disc) from the equation. Literally nothing else has changed on that front.

As a few on here know I sold my Zed on the 30th November.

All paperwork sent to the DVLA, log book, V5 etc show sale of car as the 30th November.

I was then due a 3 months tax refund, Dec 14, Jan & Feb 15.

After 6 phone calls, 2 letters and 4 emails, they today sent me £83.33p

instead of £137.50. So I assume they have ONLY refunded me for

Jan and Feb 15...!! :rant:

So back on the phone again today.. :rant:

if they received the documents in December you dont get that month as its full months you get paid for i think

On the other hand DVLA have taken money twice for December, given what Whacky says the new owner did, so is that right under the new system where everyone has to claim back unexpired tax and require new owners to tax, rather than inherit unexpired tax as before?

Seems to me they 'want their cake and eat it', and really with the new system it should not matter when the claim for the unexpired tax is sent in.....if they can see from their system the car has been re-taxed by another for the period being claimed :dry:

• Like 2

On the other hand DVLA have taken money twice for December, given what Whacky says the new owner did, so is right under the new system where evryone has to claim back unexpired tax and rewquire new owners to tax, rather than inherit unexpired tax as before.

True, the DVLA have been paid twice for December in this case. As would they have been under the old system if Will had claimed a refund anyway. If he hadn't claimed that refund, he would still be £83.33 out of pocket, the DVLA would be no better off but the new owner would get three months free tax.

Seems to me they 'want their cake and eat it', and really with the new system it should not matter when the claim for the unexpired tax is sent in.....if they can see from their system the car has been re-taxed by another for the period being claimed :dry:

Under the new system, the DVLA benefit from overlapping payments, the previous owner benefits from the forced refund, the new owner loses out by not being able to transfer existing tax. Either way someone loses out, is it any surprise that those making the rules have ensured it isn't them?

Under the old system, Will loses out if transfers the tax.

Under either system, the new owner loses out to the refund.

Personally I agree that any refund should be issued upon receipt of further payment and calculated to the day rather than the month. But it's not. It never has been that. Hence Will was never due a refund for December regardless.