New UK tax laws buying process

euphio

Hey guys,

I'm looking at a Zed on Sunday and wondered if anyone has had experience purchasing a car in a private sale under the new laws.

Am I right in thinking if the car looks good I should first take out an insurance policy, perhaps online.

Then send the money / do the paperwork.

Then apply for a tax disc online.

And only after this can I drive the car away. I'm also having to take out a days temp cover for the test drive, smh.

Also on this, what is the general consensus with asking for money off the car as the current owner would receive a tax rebate of this value?

from how i understand it, if you are insured to drive it the vehicle is still taxed because until the DVLA receive the v5c through the post they wont know it has changed owners and the tax needs refunded.

this means that you could drive home on the previous owners tax, and get online when your back and tax it yourself using the new keepers slip.

dont quote me tho.

from how i understand it, if you are insured to drive it the vehicle is still taxed because until the DVLA receive the v5c through the post they wont know it has changed owners and the tax needs refunded.

this means that you could drive home on the previous owners tax, and get online when your back and tax it yourself using the new keepers slip.

dont quote me tho.

I'm pretty sure this is correct, it will be taxed until the original owner has sent the V5

I would look on line Andy just to make sure mate, be better to drive home knowing your all legal instead of you thinking about it all the way home.When you tax online there computer knows if the car is M o t d and if your insured to drive it :thumbs:

Good luck for tomorrow you will have to bring it around mate, :thumbs:

No, YOU must tax it before you drive home. VED is not transferable between owners.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes is pretty clear. As soon as you pay for the vehicle, you own it. Odds of you getting caught are tiny, but what if you have an accident and police start investigating? Not worth the risk, imho.

• Like 2

I agree with Ekona, that's the law, cannot drive it until its taxed in YOUR name. :surrender:

I'm waiting 7 weeks for the DVLA to refund me 6 months tax on the Zed, bet they

would not wait 7 weeks for me to tax my new wheels..complete shower..!!! :rant:

Took them about a week to refund me, I'd chase them up Will.

• Like 1

I agree with Ekona, that's the law, cannot drive it until its taxed in YOUR name. :surrender:

I'm waiting 7 weeks for the DVLA to refund me 6 months tax on the Zed, bet they

would not wait 7 weeks for me to tax my new wheels..complete shower..!!! :rant:

Took them about a week to refund me, I'd chase them up Will.

Thanks Chris, they quote up to 6 weeks on their web site, but your right,

I'll be on their case first thing on Mon. :thumbs:

From their web site..

DVLA will issue a refund for any complete remaining months of your vehicle tax by post within 6 weeks.

Edited by WhackyWill

Sold my Skyline a couple of months back and the buyer sat in it outside my house sorting out tax and insurance over the phone - did both, took about 10 mins.

What..Didn't you invite him in for a cup of tea, and let him sort

it out on your kitchen table while you were counting his dosh...??? :scare:

• Like 2

Sold my Skyline a couple of months back and the buyer sat in it outside my house sorting out tax and insurance over the phone - did both, took about 10 mins.

What..Didn't you invite him in for a cup of tea, and let him sort

it out on your kitchen table while you were counting his dosh...??? :scare:

He insisted! He was far too excited about the car!

• Like 1

No, YOU must tax it before you drive home. VED is not transferable between owners.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes is pretty clear. As soon as you pay for the vehicle, you own it. Odds of you getting caught are tiny, but what if you have an accident and police start investigating? Not worth the risk, imho.

I stand corrected then. Thought you would be covered still.

Yup so you buy it and as Dan said above you must tax it as it does not transfer - to tax it you pay from the beginning of the month but they refund the previous owner after the end of the month so they get paid twice - well played by them :rant:

However as to getting stopped you won't set any of the ANPR systems off on the way home as they won't have been informed of any changes until the docs go in - routine check or doing something to deserve a tug could mean they look more closely - Grundy got pulled as his was registered as SORN, we did the engine and went for MOT he did the right thing and sorted the TAX while here but got pulled on the way home as the ANPR takes time to update so they wanted to know why he was driving with no Tax or MOT :nono: which he wasn't :lol:

Edited by Keyser