A very bad year for Aviation...2014.

WhackyWill

Shocking numbers but I'd guess deaths on the roads & vehicle accidents are a lot higher.

Its very difficult to compare the two..but yes I'm sure road accidents

consume a lot more people in a year unfortunately. :scare:

Definitely not really fair to compare the two but flying is still the safest form of transport for the most part. :thumbs:

Personally I'd much rather drive somewhere than fly but then if I had to get to Australia for example then I'm pretty sure I'd have to fly. :lol:

• Like 2

Shocking numbers but I'd guess deaths on the roads & vehicle accidents are a lot higher.

Its very difficult to compare the two..but yes I'm sure road accidents

consume a lot more people in a year unfortunately. :scare:

About 3000 people are killed on UK roads each year, worldwide that figure is probably getting on for millions , I heard that 200,000 people die on India's roads each year

Statistically you have a greater chance of getting killed driving to the airport than you do on a plane

I always wonder about the claim that flying is safer than driving, when I looked into it there is some measure that is about 'passenger miles' of planes vs cars - given how many miles you get in a round trip to Oz for instance, you have to do a heck of a lot of driving to get even near that. They dont measure it in trips which it should, shouldnt it?

I can remember landing in Bahrain en route to Nairobi with Crab Air. We were on KC1 freighter with a few panels down for the 10 odd seats - The pilot dropped it and on initial touchdown got bounced sidewards and the clips bounced out causing us to shoot a few feet to the side Sounds of "2!!!!!" Two were resolutely declared by the rest of the ATLO team ! (you get 1 point for landing and 1 point for being alive after but the remaining 8 on offer were lost forever)

• Like 1

I was talked into doing a reccy flight in a herc down there. I was doing fine until the pilot decided to play. I also used to fly in a 4 seater chopper for work. We had two pilots who were twins. One was a stunt pilot but they were identical and wouldnt tell us which one it is. Incerting and stalling choppers isnt fun. :scare:

- Accidents at record low -

I2014 continued a long-term trend of ever improving air safety.

A record-low seven fatal commercial passenger incidents occurred up to Dec 16th, according to the Netherlands-based Aviation Safety Network, an infinitesimal figure amid the several million flights and billions of passengers each year.

There were 15 such accidents last year, while the annual average since 1946 is 32.

What he said^^^ Anyway, it's a myth that driving is more dangerous than flying. There are just as many accidents with planes as there are with cars if you include small planes/ 2 seaters for example (apparently)

Yes 152 fatal ones...some big some small but all fatal.. :scare: :scare:

This year has been a very bad year for flying here's the stastics.

1,212 People killed in 152 accidents... :scare: :scare:

228 million people flew in/out of the UK in 2013, the figures for 2014 are expected to be greater than 2013.

During 2014 there were 13 fatal accidents (UK) resulting in 30 Deaths (Nearly all these accidents/deaths were on Privately owned small aircraft NOT Commercially operated Aircraft).

This equates to a 1 in 7.6 Million chance of dying flying in/out of the UK. Not bad really.