Brakes failed today :(

The Trouser

Braking hard this morning as traffic lights went to amber, the brakes brought the car to a halt but then the pedal went straight to the floor with no resistance whatsoever.

Got the Zed recovered to my usual dealer who said that the brake pipe/hose had split near to the fuel tank.

To replace it would mean the fuel tank coming out etc. etc. so not a small job.- but it's going to take around a month to get hold of a new pipe as they are not readily available and they don't like to manufacture their own replacements.

Zed is currently VOR and waiting for the parts.

Do I have any alternatives for sourcing a new brake pipe?

Thanks.

(04 plate GT)

Edited by The Trouser

Braking hard this morning as traffic lights went to amber, the brakes brought the car to a halt but then the pedal went straight to the floor with no resistance whatsoever.

Got the Zed recovered to my usual dealer who said that the brake pipe/hose had split near to the fuel tank.

To replace it would mean the fuel tank coming out etc. etc. so not a small job.- but it's going to take around a month to get hold of a new pipe as they are not readily available and they don't like to manufacture their own replacements.

Zed is currently VOR and waiting for the parts.

Do I have any alternatives for sourcing a new brake pipe?

Thanks.

please please speak with ZMANALEX or some of the other traders. they will be able to sort this much quicker! :surrender:

Any decent mechanic should be able to knock up some new brake lines in a morning. The only thing they have to pay for is some copper brake pipe, some joiners and clips. The rest is labour for them at whatever rate they charge, it's almost free money.

• Like 2

good job it failed AFTER you had fully stopped and not as you were stopping or you might have had to change your user name to the brown trouser......

:lol:

Yes - very lucky as it was pretty quiet at the time with no other cars around me and only doing around 45-50 mph.

Any decent mechanic should be able to knock up some new brake lines in a morning. The only thing they have to pay for is some copper brake pipe, some joiners and clips. The rest is labour for them at whatever rate they charge, it's almost free money.

What he said! Sounds like your dealers trying to rip you off mate! Glad your okay too, could have gone alot worse! :scare:

• 3 weeks later...

Back on the road again :D

Been nearly 3 weeks since the breakdown but my "dealer" has been absolutely fantastic.

Sourced and fitted the new brake lines over Xmas (cost £220 all in) and I've a had courtesy car for free during that time.

I say "dealer" as they are now not a Nissan dealer but a Kia/Hyundai/whatever dealer so the way they source Nissan parts has changed slightly (as I've been told by the tech who did the changes).

Anyway, chuffed to bits to be back in the Zed - just had to tell some :)

• Like 3