Arrggghhhhh, car choices

Flex

Depends what your priorities are when buying a car mate - yes BMW on paper looks great, but do you want to be one of another million owners of the same looking car? For me I tend to lend weight to uniqueness as an important factor when choosing a car, I had this debate with Dan that yes on paper it doesnt perform as well but I dont want to disappear into the legions of other people driving the same thing.

My 'roco was awesome, lovely quality interior, at the time very different styling, certainly stood out - and in no way 'not' manly ;)

IMG_0271.jpg

Regarding the 123d beemer, are we talking about the hideous long backs or the coupes? The longback series 1 beemers have to be one of the stand out ugliest cars our there and hardly manly!

• Like 1

I could not think of a worse car to buy than a diesel Impreza hatch.

All of the downsides (clattery engine, crap interior, bland exterior, generally ugly and unwanted) with none of the benefits (fast, wonderful engine note, bags of character). Diesel Scoobies have their place, but it's with big vehicles you use on a farm.

You're better than that Craigo, definitely :)

• Like 1

I could not think of a worse car to buy than a diesel Impreza hatch.

All of the downsides (clattery engine, crap interior, bland exterior, generally ugly and unwanted) with none of the benefits (fast, wonderful engine note, bags of character). Diesel Scoobies have their place, but it's with big vehicles you use on a farm.

You're better than that Craigo, definitely :)

I doubt it lol.

I love Imprezas. I just don't love sh*tty diesel Imprezas.

For £10K, I'd have 2005 DCCD blobeye without breaking sweat. Superb cars.

Never heard of blobeyes.

I have heard of Mr Blobby, he was EPIC too. lol

Fact is I cant/wont drive a beemer and the 123d is surely a woman's car? :lol:

RWD, 150mph, 6.8 to 60 does not an effeminate car make ;)

How about a TT?

Can I ask you a question, do you even like me? :lol:

I like everyone, but even if I didnt I cant stand by and watch a man buy a @*!# car ;)

• Like 1

Just remember most leases need 3-6 months down payment as initial payment. So a £300month lease over 24 months including 6 months initial payment is about £9000.

At the end of the lease you give the car back and have nothing to show for it. Your struggle to find a £15k used car that will depreciate by £9k over 2-3 years.

When I looked at the figures lease hire, it only made sense to a private buyer if you are wanting a brand new car every 2-3 years, in which case it's better than using cash because your not tying up a larger lump sum into the car. But having a new car every 2-3 years isn't cheap since deprecation is highest when new.

Lease hire doesn't make running a new car any cheaper, your lease is simply paying for depreciation so that the lease company can than sell the car for a profit at the end of the lease period.

Edited by gangzoom

True, but you get the benefits of a brand new car (so less likely to go wrong or at least it'll be covered by warranty), and usually free servicing too. It'll also have better fuel economy than the equivalent used car, so running costs will be cheaper on that side at least.

Leasing is always cheaper than financing in terms of the monthly payment, unless you look at a PCP deal but then you have to find a way to finance that as well... Swings and roundabouts to all options.

I've never leased myself, but will seriously consider it for the future on the non-fun car.

• Like 2

True, but you get the benefits of a brand new car (so less likely to go wrong or at least it'll be covered by warranty), and usually free servicing too. It'll also have better fuel economy than the equivalent used car, so running costs will be cheaper on that side at least.

Leasing is always cheaper than financing in terms of the monthly payment, unless you look at a PCP deal but then you have to find a way to finance that as well... Swings and roundabouts to all options.

All true, but servicing, running costs, and repairs costs nearly always add to a fraction of the money lost in deprecation. Even for my unreliable BMW thats actually had lost nearly 40-50% of its RRP when I bough it, in the last 3.5 years its carried on deprecating to the tune of about £10K. The sum total of what I've spent on servicing/repair costs over that period (no warranty) is less than half that value.

But having a new car is a lovely feeling, hence we have gone down the buying new route for the wifes car, despite the fact it makes no sense as a financial decision. Leasing doesn't make it any cheaper, it simply means you don't have to stump up the total cash price up front....your still throwing away £££ per months for the privilege of been in a brand new car.

Infact to lease the IS300H in the spec we want, will cost nearly £20K over 3 years, which is nearly exactly what the car will have depreciated by over list price in the same time period. So if we were to change cars again in 3 years for a new car that work out OK, but if we were to keep the same car for another 3 years, and assuming it will continue to depreciate at 50% over 3 years it would loss another £10K, so over 6 years we will have lost £25K in depreciation (purchase price is £35K, against list price of £40K). If we were to spend another £20K leasing a new car after 3 years, over 6 years leasing will have cost £40K...so £15K over 6 years is the additional cost associated with been able to drive a new car every 3 years compared to buying brand new with cash and sticking with the car.....That's a cost for we cannot justify.

Edited by gangzoom

I agree with Dan, it's going to be mainly business, so business can take the hit, at the end of the day I need something reliable, that looks half decent and can hand back after 2/3 years.

At the moment I'm seeing new clients in either a sh1tty old golf or the zed. Turn up in Golf they think is this guy any good, turn up in the zed and they think flash b'stard, he's making too much money.

• Like 1

Oh dear! Lesson learned! ;) Don't listen to Steve!

Well I was curious and thought what the hell, lets go look. Just soo disappointing. Salesman was easy going, gave me the trade plate and said off you go but as soon as I realised that engine werent going to sound any better I turned back round and cut my losses.

So far Rocco is winning! Might see if I can find a decent scooby to look at.

Can I put in a word for Stanley? I think he looks pretty and he is very nippy but maybe you would prefer a bigger car?

You can, it's the focus ST isnt it? Might be a bit pricey/big hit on depreciation for me.

If I could get it on contract for £250 per month then I could live with that and just hand it back. I'd have to go check out the costs.