Full respray?

MDMetal

So the zed is 10 years old. 70,000 on the clock, I've owned it for 4 years almost to the day, when I bought it the front bumper had been resprayed to remove the usual stone chip damage, I know where each and every scratch is (biggish on the passenger roof side, rear right bumper etc etc) The car still looks beautiful when clean from a distance and having bought a new house in the last year I'm not sure when I'll be buying a new car that and the fact there's very little on the market that interests me. In fact if I was to get another car I'd be looking at maybe a Maserati GT or a GTR so I'd probably keep the zed around, it's my baby! Anywho with various all round chips and scuffs I wonder if it's worth respraying the whole car and getting it back to factory fresh on the outside. Interior is pretty decent so nothing much there unless I build some tidier seats really. What sort of prices have people paid and does it make a big difference respraying the original (red) or a new colour (eg white)? Guessing a colour change costs more if you want all the fiddly interiors of panels changed etc?

Depends on how well you want the job done, Mine was just under £2K but had to take it back and get bits redone because the guy was a to$$er. Tranquil has his done for £2.5K and it was really well done. This is in Scotland though so you can expect to pay more the further down you go :thumbs:

• Like 1

I suppose it depends on how much of the car you wish sprayed, ie engine bay etc?

A wrap I would say is a cheap and cheerful way to give the car a fresh new look but if theres any particular pitting due to stone chips or scratches a wrap will only enhance these.

That's kind of the issue isn't it, if you go for a new colour the coolness gets lost when you open the engine bay! I do have some chips but nothing too bad, a wrap is going to be 1.5K ish? just wondering how long they last and how hard they are to clean, the lives outside so can get a bit filthy and needs a good scrub!

• Like 1

Wow thats a fair amount for a wrap. Mind you depending on quality and what prep they do. I've heard of some places claying your car etc before wrapping.

I'd say you could get away with a wrap if it was contrasting colours in the engine bay like white wrap on a black car but if I was going to the bother (and expense) for a respray I would want it all to match.

I'd say get any particularly bad bits touched up then opt for a wrap... that way if after some time you dont fancy it anymore you can take it off and another change of colour to satisfy you.

worth me checking out, I love the red it is at the moment but fancy something else maybe. Red is a bit useless for wrapping mind, any door/engine bay will immediately show off the original red vs the new wrap colour

I am the exact same, I really like the blue but I love the look of a black zed. Maybe when i've done all the visual mods to mine i will look into a wrap.:thumbs:

To do the RS Green Gold Perl on mine, I was quote 1500.00 and thats a complete strip down. But I am in South Wales.

Another option is to Plasti Dip. Check out Dip your Car dot com on youtube. The colours these days will blow your mind. You can now get glossifiers etc and do not have to be matte colour. Im seriously considering do this myself. 4 gallons and a sprayer and all other stuff will set be back about 350. And if its crap...you can peel it off and start again. Ive studied all the video tutorials on there and its a piece of cake. Look at the ALIEN series of paint that change colour as you walk around the car. As I said - Plastidip has come along long way.

I was wondering rough prices for a wrap on a zed.

I got this last month

We have a wide range of colours available so getting a close match should be fine.

In terms of price I would say that you will be looking at approx. £1550.00 + vat for the full exterior.

Please feel free to pop down for a chat and we also have a wrapped car in at the moment so you can see one in the flesh.

We would require the car for 2-3 days.

This from Valet Magic - Camberley Surrey

• Like 1

We'd charge no less than £1800 to wrap a zed, although may go slightly lower for a forum member. I'd personally stay away from plastidip, I've used it and found it to be not as durable as I thought it was going to be but each to their own. To wrap it should take 3 days. On your own maybe 4. Don't use any material other than avery supreme or 3m. Don't use hexis as they're admitting they material is not up to scratch. You'll need heat guns, thermo and wrapping gloves, a scalpel and blades, hexis no 13 cleaner and a dry warm area to wrap your car...should you decide to do it yourself!!...personally I'd go to someone that knows what they're doing. It's harder than you think!! But good luck in whatever you decide to do!!

We'd charge no less than £1800 to wrap a zed, although may go slightly lower for a forum member. I'd personally stay away from plastidip, I've used it and found it to be not as durable as I thought it was going to be but each to their own. To wrap it should take 3 days. On your own maybe 4. Don't use any material other than avery supreme or 3m. Don't use hexis as they're admitting they material is not up to scratch. You'll need heat guns, thermo and wrapping gloves, a scalpel and blades, hexis no 13 cleaner and a dry warm area to wrap your car...should you decide to do it yourself!!...personally I'd go to someone that knows what they're doing. It's harder than you think!! But good luck in whatever you decide to do!!

Is that curb wrapped? ie looks good parked on a street or things like the insides of the doors?

To do the RS Green Gold Perl on mine, I was quote 1500.00 and thats a complete strip down. But I am in South Wales.

Another option is to Plasti Dip. Check out Dip your Car dot com on youtube. The colours these days will blow your mind. You can now get glossifiers etc and do not have to be matte colour. Im seriously considering do this myself. 4 gallons and a sprayer and all other stuff will set be back about 350. And if its crap...you can peel it off and start again. Ive studied all the video tutorials on there and its a piece of cake. Look at the ALIEN series of paint that change colour as you walk around the car. As I said - Plastidip has come along long way.

I'm on the caddy2k oc for my van and a few people on there have said the plasti dip has stained their paint work after being on for a while and then removed. I wouldn't risk it on the whole car myself.

Oh and it looks crap anyway! :)

Is that curb wrapped? ie looks good parked on a street or things like the insides of the doors?

Yup curb wrapped although we do fold slightly into the shuts so that you cant see any of the old colour. Door shuts can be done but cost a little extra...but being theres only 2 doors then its not going to be loads. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Personally not wrapping the seals etc doesnt bother me, with the boot/bonnet and all the doors shut you cant see the old colour, if youre worried about it id just get this done and see how you feel about it, you can always wrap them another time!!

Edited by zippypooz