Health and safety eat your heart out

Grundy

Thank god he has his hard hat on though, just in case!

/sarcasm

See, there's nothing inherently unsafe about that. The ladder is of sound construction, it appears to be at the right angle, doesn't appear to be any wind, and he has three points of contact.

:lol:

He has now harnessed him self to the tree - But he is on his own...Would at least expect a 2nd man to be supporting at the bottom in case of a slip. And now if the ladder falls he's pretty stranded as I'll be standing their with my phone unable to assist :lol:

Literally had a conversation about this with my old man last night (Health and Safety Consultant).

It's all about over-reaching. If there is a chance of over-reaching, the ladder will tip with the momentum of its user, thereby making the company liable if they haven't trained the staff not to over-reach! Seems like common sense doesn't it, and yet he has heard of over 100 incidents of over-reaching this year lol...

I would also point out that both the foot of the ladder, AND the top of ladder are both resting on WET surfaces lol... :blackeye:

Thank god he has his hard hat on though, just in case!

/sarcasm

See, there's nothing inherently unsafe about that. The ladder is of sound construction, it appears to be at the right angle, doesn't appear to be any wind, and he has three points of contact.

The harness sorts the problem to be fair... even if he has to hang there until someone comes to help (evidently not Grundy :D ), then there's no risk of injury. That's assuming that the tree branch he's harnessed himself to is strong enough to withstand the weight! (And one should never assume haha)

Somewhat ironically the other day we had a fire drill which involved a walk out of the building (we are on the Strand in London so lots of high buildings) and around another which had scaffolding up all around it to the top floor about 12 storeys up. Out of nowhere a hard hard came crashing to the ground next to me and narrowly missing a girl who screamed out - it really came down with a thump and I looked up half expecting to see someone coming down after it. No one did, but it would have been ironic if someone got seriously hurt by getting hit on the head by a hard hat...

• Like 3

Somewhat ironically the other day we had a fire drill which involved a walk out of the building (we are on the Strand in London so lots of high buildings) and around another which had scaffolding up all around it to the top floor about 12 storeys up. Out of nowhere a hard hard came crashing to the ground next to me and narrowly missing a girl who screamed out - it really came down with a thump and I looked up half expecting to see someone coming down after it. No one did, but it would have been ironic if someone got seriously hurt by getting hit on the head by a hard hat...

Exact same thing happened at my old office - We were out the back smoking next to the fire escape. One of the builders used a large Fire Extinguisher to hold the door open.

Wind picked up, knocked it over - heard a massive thud, and it rolled over the edge - we were wondering wtf was that? Then we heard someone shout 'HEADS' with that the guy quickly moved avoiding being crushed by the FE - Was so close! We were lucky it didn't explode.

None of the builders were bothered about this :lol: - The fire extinguisher must of fell about 20/30ft

• Like 1

I'm also on the Strand. (although today I'm in Istanbul, where it's cold, miserable and wet). :)

We have to wear hard hats when working on site at the airfield.

Far be it from me to point out that the only thing likely to hit us is a 737, and that a hard hat isn't really going to help matters in that case...

Perhaps you ought to see the H & S check on the planes to make sure they have matching tyres and won't skid into you :stir:

I'm also on the Strand. (although today I'm in Istanbul, where it's cold, miserable and wet). :)

Haha probably pass me every day! I work at 80 Strand, the office next door to the Savoy ;)

Haha probably pass me every day! I work at 80 Strand, the office next door to the Savoy ;)

Cool. I'm at the High Court. So we live and work in close proximity. :)

Yep Shell building, although there are other tenants, have been for a few years now as far as I know. Nice little plaque on the front gates indicating that this was the building within which the RAF was formed by all accounts...Sipar, that is weird!

We should be glad that he is using the kit he was issued with. (think they can be disciplined if not)

But only one pavement (blocked) and so making the old lady walk in the road.

She probably looked where she was going though. But, people with phones and ipods might need the H & S police. :lol:

Had Sky round a few years ago to fix the dish to the wall, about 3/4 the way up a regular new build two storey house (12 ft if that) they had to drill into the wall and fix an anchor bolt to attach the ladder to before they went up.

I have also had to do a cics course for site work and quite frankly its laughable the questions they ask.