Homophobic attack in Surbiton on Saturday night...

HaydnH

My problem is that society doesn't approve of adding 2 words together that are either factual or effectively harmless. Calling someone black is fine, calling someone a b@stard is fine, but combine the two and you've committed a horrid hate crime. It's bullshit! There is nothing racist about calling someone a black b@stard, unless of course you are only verbally attacking them because they are black, rather than because they are a bastard.

Plus, what if said black/gay person is actually a b@stard as described in Oxford dictionary? :)

• Like 1

I didn't see anything wrong with what Stevo said (spelling and punctuation aside :p ), which is odd for me... ;)

I can see his point. Why do people get so incredibly offended when it comes to racist abuse, yet sexual abuse is fair game?

People on this board very often use the term 'gay' to describe something tacky, or naff, or crap. Or, they'll pretend to be gay in an attempt at a veiled insult to others. I know I'm definitely guilty of both here in the past. If you're gay, and there has to be some gay members on this board at the very least, then I wonder if you find that uncomfortable at all? I'm not sure I would as it takes a lot to get under my skin.

To turn it around, if we then went down the race-related insults route, if someone calls me a honky white trash *****, I'll get much more upset about the ***** part than the race bit. But then I'm white, I'm the majority and my race has never really been persecuted, so I'd be more likely to just shrug it off.

Why can we call someone an old b*stard quite happily, but not a black b*stard? One is ageist, one is racist, so both discriminatory; However, only one will get you hauled up before the courts. Discrimination, and how we feel about certain types, is a very tricky subject indeed.

Thanks for translating my point into english ekona

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 2

Yea fodder is wasn't directly at you pal but a kind of collective note you can see who views this and there's people who made uproar in the other thread but not here

And there is about as much evidence and details to this story as the other

Just seemed odd to get on a soap box for a racist thing and not for a sexuality thing

This would appear to be a post designed to goad other members.

If it was, please stop as we do not run this forum that way.

If it was not then please accept my apologises.

All members can read or not read threads. All members can comment or not comment on threads.

They do not have to conform to what some people might want or not want them to do.

Well said Chris.

My problem is that society doesn't approve of adding 2 words together that are either factual or effectively harmless. Calling someone black is fine, calling someone a b@stard is fine, but combine the two and you've committed a horrid hate crime. It's bullshit! There is nothing racist about calling someone a black b@stard, unless of course you are only verbally attacking them because they are black, rather than because they are a bastard.

Plus, what if said black/gay person is actually a b@stard as described in Oxford dictionary? :)

As Ekona said "But then I'm white, I'm the majority and my race has never really been persecuted, so I'd be more likely to just shrug it off."

Thats why when you make a racist remark against a black person it can be perceived as being much more offensive, because of the deep-seated connotations involved.

ie. Slavery, persecution, isolation, medical experimentation, sterilization, brutality and murder to name but a few....all inflicted by the white man!

You can see why people get upset.

All members can read or not read threads. All members can comment or not comment on threads.

They do not have to conform to what some people might want or not want them to do.

Does this mean the swear filter can go? Technically, if they can read or not read threads, then they can read or not read words. And some people might - or might not - want people to conform to not swearing. As such, we shouldn't have to conform to it? :D

• Like 2

Does this mean the swear filter can go? Technically, if they can read or not read threads, then they can read or not read words. And some people might - or might not - want people to conform to not swearing. As such, we shouldn't have to conform to it? :D

:lol:

Or you could work on the basis that everyone on here is at least 17, and has probably heard some swearing in their life already so probably won't be offended :D

:lol:

Or you could work on the basis that everyone on here is at least 17, and has probably heard some swearing in their life already so probably won't be offended :D

If you're careful, you can type any word you like without the filter picking it up, I just never do it as I don't want a warning point :lol:

But then I'm white, I'm the majority and my race has never really been persecuted

Why can we call someone an old b*stard quite happily, but not a black b*stard? One is ageist, one is racist, so both discriminatory; However, only one will get you hauled up before the courts. Discrimination, and how we feel about certain types, is a very tricky subject indeed.

As Ekona said "But then I'm white, I'm the majority and my race has never really been persecuted, so I'd be more likely to just shrug it off."

ie. Slavery, persecution, isolation, medical experimentation, sterilization, brutality and murder to name but a few....all inflicted by the white man!

You can see why people get upset.

And here in is the issue, have a look through history, whites were used as slaves (and the above) long before the "black man", but for some reason some want to cling onto it!!

• Like 1

On a similar topic there was some cctv footage a couple of years back of some "yoofs" trying to pick a fight with some dudes dressed up as women on the streets of Plymouth, turns out said dudes were cage fighters on a fancy dress night out, didnt end well for the yoofs in an alarmingly quick time!!!

• Like 2

On a similar topic there was some cctv footage a couple of years back of some "yoofs" trying to pick a fight with some dudes dressed up as women on the streets of Plymouth, turns out said dudes were cage fighters on a fancy dress night out, didnt end well for the yoofs in an alarmingly quick time!!!

I remember that, swift justice :lol:

I'm on final lol still not sure Why tho

Steve, since you keep bringing this up openly, I have to say it is getting rather tiresome. It has been made perfectly clear to you why, so accept responsibility and let's move forward with some positive contributions shall we.

Oh yeah I remember that, bet they will never do that again, swift justice indeed

Real men have warning points B)

I have none though, so I'm definitely not a real man :(

I have numerous warnings for you in my fictitious list, mostly for anti Nismo jibes ;)

#### how many must I have :cry:

I seem to remember when we were testing this software package you had a ruck of points and were banned once or twice. :lol:

I have numerous warnings for you in my fictitious list, mostly for anti Nismo jibes ;)

I seem to remember when we were testing this software package you had a ruck of points and were banned once or twice. :lol:

so you can get banned and return?

so you can get banned and return?

They ban you for a week/month etc then you have another 3 strikes I believe :)