Tyre Recommendation - Limited Spirited Driving

samu23

Hi All

Have ready plenty of threads on this forum and know all about the MPSS (although I have never owned a set) but looking for some recommendations for other tyres to look at along side the MPSS.

I do very little spirited driving, lots of town driving and only cover roughly 4000 miles per year and very few in the winter as I use my girlfriends car.

Budget isn't important but I am looking for value for money between grip and longevity.

Anyone offering any great deals at the moment? I've always used Camskill and tended to buy Falken 452's. But I have heard good things about Tyre Leader?

Thanks in advance.

Sam

My car came with Avon ZZ3s and I've been surprised at how good they are especially in the wet.Ironically I've only used Conti sports or michelin pilots on previous rear drivers. One of my first plans was to change the avons but I'm sticking with them now as they are superb.

• Like 1

My car came with Avon ZZ3s and I've been surprised at how good they are especially in the wet.Ironically I've only used Conti sports or michelin pilots on previous rear drivers. One of my first plans was to change the avons but I'm sticking with them now as they are superb.

Same as me, although I think the zz3s have been discontinued?

I had a set off those on my civic type r felt like jelly horrible

I had a set off those on my civic type r felt like jelly horrible

I ran Bridgestone RE02 on my CTR, then Pilot sports. Like I've said before the avons have surprised me and I was going to change them straight away, feel solid and excellent grip.

Edited by Zeezeebaba

• 3 weeks later...

XL = Extra Load, irrelevant if it does or doesn't have this for the Zed

MO = Merc specific

AO = Audi specific

You can fit MO, AO, or any other specific tyres to any vehicle, but you'll pay a premium. With those, just buy the cheapest ones. :)

XL isn't actually that irrelevant. XL tyres have a higher load index for a given tyre size. They achieve this with stiffer sidewalls and heavier casing. This can have pretty large effects on the tyre performance. I had to switch to xl on my runaround because local potholes kept damaging sidewalls and the non xl were very sloppy under cornering (lots of sidewall flex before I got a response - like driving with a torsion spring in the steering column). Having switched to xl it's now faster to respond but more rough and loud ride, though less likely to flat. Stick with oem recommended load rating where possible.

On the MPS3 it's not noticeable, so I maintain it's irrelevant ;)

Which tyres were those then? For the most part, it's quite difficult to tell the difference between regular and XL, so bravo on being able to do so, most folks can't! :thumbs: