Car recommendations

benmo

Hi all,

Looking to get a more economical car to use for commuting. Looking for a few suggestions please!

Requirements:

Max of £4k

Does at least 40 mpg

70k mileage tops

Isn't terribly slow

At least a 1.4

Cheers

Hi all,

Looking to get a more economical car to use for commuting. Looking for a few suggestions please!

Requirements:

Max of £4k

Does at least 40 mpg

70k mileage tops

Isn't terribly slow

At least a 1.4

Cheers

Any more info to help narrow it down further ~

Petrol or Diesel?

3 Door/4 Door etc?

Automatic preferred or manual?

Fwd, Rwd, 4wd?

Does it need to be a small car, big car, estate etc?

:dry:

Thanks guys.

My situation has somewhat changed a little..my budget now stretches to £5k! I've been looking at 1 and 3 series bmw's. Anything I should be looking out for when buying a BMW? Best model of 3 series within 5k budget?

Also open to other suggestions of course!

Cheers

£5k get something like a decent 2.2 Diesel Civic, which does everything on your list, and will cost you hardly anything to maintain.

Amongst my friends who own BMWs ranging from 120d through to E90 M3s every single one has developed various faults. Don't get me wrong they are great cars, and I love my 335i, but they are not the kinda of cars you buy to run on a budget.

Edited by gangzoom

You said something economical which although good on fuel a BMW is not going to be economical if it goes wrong. Civic 2.2d is a good engine but servicing is on the pricier side for parts. If your looking for cheap what about a fiesta 1.6tdic zetec? The 183 clio isn't a bad shout either, for 5k you'll get a minter and a little left for a mod or two

Px ,d my wife's e46 320 coupe recently. 10 years old 72 k miles. Owned from new.Full BMW service .Looked and drove like new. Silver coupe. 2k best px. Robbery.! Mind you, she got a two year old Mtech 320 coupe with 4 k miles for £17 k so not bad.

Would recommend a well looked after 320.

So after reading a few of the replies, I'll get something other than a beemer :lol: Tempted by the GT TDI Golf.. I've had a Jetta before and I assume it's just the same, which is a good thing sinced I loved the car.

Focus?

Personally I'd ignore the 70k miles mark, at that end of the market you buy on condition not miles.

It's just a bad habit I've gotten in to. For some reason I assume anything 70k and less guarantees nothing will break. I am always really hesitant when looking at cars 80,90k miles.. especially petrols.

Is it not the exact same car, barring the boot? Like the Focus hatch and Focus saloon?

Yeah, but smaller so, easier park and lighter so perhaps might save a few pennies on petrol. I'm bias, I've got a Golf :teeth: . Best all round car I've ever had. Looks better too (which is open to opinion)

Edited by Rock_Steady

Oh I absolutely agree, if I wanted a bigger car I'd get one, rather than buy a small car with some bodywork attached to it :)

Golf in itself is a very steady car, whilst I don't really get excited by them they do do everything very well.