#sharetheroad

Adrian@TORQEN

it is actually getting out of control

Agree 100%, people need to just chill out. I drive 25-35,000 miles a year and very rarely (if ever, to be honest) get frustrated, angry or aggressive behind the wheel. It also has a massive negative impact on your decision making and therefore standard of driving.

Blame the idiots who cannot drive properly.

Nah Dan, that doesn't stack up mate.

99% of the drivers I've met in the last 42 years of driving are either. "THE" best drivers on British roads or the "GODS" of driving knowledge.

Your area must have the other 1%. :lol:

• Like 2

Can't agree on that one.

An indicator is an indication, it's not a commitment.

If someone indicates they are turning and I want to pull out! I'll wait for them to turn thank you.

That's what us old farts who can't drive do you see, we are just too slow, or is that careful or is it that we think.........

Don't trust............................." the idiots who cannot drive properly." :lol:

• Like 1

People sit at home in wonder and watch Heston Blumenthal create amazing dishes on tv. They know they might be able to make a good roast dinner, a decent curry or a number of meals but they also know they are not a Michelin star chef. They happily accept that there's a limit to their talents or experience and don't force their poor or risky cooking on others.

How is it then, that this principle is reversed when they get behind the wheel of their Audi, Mondeo, BMW, Nissan? They may well have a simple, standard license to drive a car / van / motorcycle etc and yet they are convinced they are as capable and as able as Alonso, Schumacher, Hamilton, Loeb, Makinen, Kankkunen, Lotterer, McNish, Capello, Tarquini, Soper, Plato, Masuoka, Schlesser, Kleinschmidt, etc, etc, etc

This is the point I was trying to make Dan, clearly I failed to put that across.

That because people do something all the time, like driving to work in the car, which is familiar and seemingly so very easy. That they have an over inflated expectation and understanding of their own ability.

When compared to something which they are aware of, like world class and exceptional 'chefery', but which they don't do all the time and so therefore they have no expectation of ability or perceived 'entitlement' of how ably they should or can perform.

• Like 1

i'll do what I normally do when im driving - consider everyone else an idiot, and expect people to be indicating incorrectly/changing lanes unexpectedly and so on and so forth.

To be honest its quite easy to spot who is about to do something stupid - anyone driving a Honda jazz/Nissan micra for example WILL stop at an empty roundabout, anyone driving a black BMW/Audi WILL tailgate me then attempt to undertake me when the thing im overtaking moves over, anyone wearing a hat... well they just need to be given a very wide berth all the time!

just defensive driving that's all. expect the unexpected, then don't get irate about it.

• Like 4

i'll do what I normally do when im driving - consider everyone else an idiot, and expect people to be indicating incorrectly/changing lanes unexpectedly and so on and so forth.

To be honest its quite easy to spot who is about to do something stupid - anyone driving a Honda jazz/Nissan micra for example WILL stop at an empty roundabout, anyone driving a black BMW/Audi WILL tailgate me then attempt to undertake me when the thing im overtaking moves over, anyone wearing a hat... well they just need to be given a very wide berth all the time!

just defensive driving that's all. expect the unexpected, then don't get irate about it.

It's true, you can normally see the numpty well in advance, they're all clearly marked with a BMW badge!! Again 2 BMW's cutting into queues because they drive a BMW, not one other make or model tried to do the same. Every bloody day I see a queue jumper, and every time it's a BMW or in some cases a white van or taxi.

It really does wind me up the more I see of it, to the point it's driving me nuts. I'm now doing 42k miles for work a year, let alone personal mileage. The volume of drivers who have somehow managed to get hold of a driving licence shocks me. I could list 100 instances of poor, substandard, dangerous, or driving with undue care and attention quite easily.

Middle lane drivers, or drivers who sit in the 3rd lane of the motorway and there's nothing in front of them, in fact the next car is some half mile ahead of them. Let me slowly pass them in lane 1, guess what, they're on their phone or asleep (not literally) but they don't realise their wrong doing.

These people are DANGEROUS!

I need to start taking the train I think.........

I've never had 'road rage' or even 'road mild irritation' but I always drive defensively because there are undoubtedly many drivers out there who are dangerous, either because they are aggressive and think they own the road (BMWs) or because they seem to be having a nice daydream as they go along and don't notice other the traffic sharing the road with them :wacko:

• Like 1

Some berk parked on a blind corner the other week, so I pulled up behind him and gave him a little toot to let him know I couldn't go past as I couldn't see round the corner. Did he get the hint and move? No. He got out of the car and attempted to shuttle me past. I didn't take the bait, as there's no way I'm chancing my vehicle to a stranger, so I sat there. He then came up being all shirty, as did his mate in the car behind me (didn't realise they were together), and basically I ended up calling the police.

Well, I didn't, I just pretended to. I got a mouthful of abuse, but he took the hint and drove on when his mate pointed out that if the police came and there were two of them standing outside my door shouting at me, one of them parked like a c*nt, it probably wouldn't look too good for them :D

Honestly, why park bang-on on a blind bend? Stupidity.

@brillomaster

You took the words out of my mouth.....

.... my sentiments exactly,

I have no favourites, I treat them all the same......as idiots

Then if I'm pleasantly surprised if they actually use lane discipline or indicate correctly or leave a reasonable gap from the car in front its a bonus

But if they do something stupid or inconsiderate which is more often than not I'm expecting it so I'm not bothered, some other idiot can have the rage, idiots are not worth my time or effort :shrug:

Some berk parked on a blind corner the other week, so I pulled up behind him and gave him a little toot to let him know I couldn't go past as I couldn't see round the corner. Did he get the hint and move? No. He got out of the car and attempted to shuttle me past. I didn't take the bait, as there's no way I'm chancing my vehicle to a stranger, so I sat there. He then came up being all shirty, as did his mate in the car behind me (didn't realise they were together), and basically I ended up calling the police.

Well, I didn't, I just pretended to. I got a mouthful of abuse, but he took the hint and drove on when his mate pointed out that if the police came and there were two of them standing outside my door shouting at me, one of them parked like a c*nt, it probably wouldn't look too good for them :D

Honestly, why park bang-on on a blind bend? Stupidity.

You have to be very careful with escalating conflicts like that. In this case the guy you confronted most probably realised that he was in the wrong so he backed out. If the situation is less clear cut and the other guy is convinced that he is right (or just doesn't care) you might get seriously hurt. It only takes one nutter to put you in a wheelchair for the rest of your life and the fact that you were right and he went to jail will not make the situation any better for you.

• Like 1

it is actually getting out of control

Agree 100%, people need to just chill out. I drive 25-35,000 miles a year and very rarely (if ever, to be honest) get frustrated, angry or aggressive behind the wheel. It also has a massive negative impact on your decision making and therefore standard of driving.

I used to do those kinds of miles too. When I was getting used to it I got wound up by other people's ineptitude but after the first 9 months or so you just get numb to it and all the stupid things you see are just like water off a duck's back and never wind me up any more. Since I changed jobs a few years ago I work from home a lot and I'm not too proud to admit that my immunity to other people's stupidity does seem to be wearing off a bit - although the lessons learnt from doing the miles will stay with me for a long time yet. (Tailgating... no need! Argh!) Being angry / annoyed / upset / irked / whatever you want to call it, definitely impacts people's decision making.

:lol:

I reckon 90% of accidents could be avoided if people indicated when they were supposed to.

Not sure I agree with this... Yes I'd prefer people indicated more, but even when they do you still have to assume they're going to do the opposite is going to happen. Treat every other driver out there like they're an idiot who's trying to kill you and you won't go far wrong. Accidents happen because people don't realise what's about to happen, or what could happen at any given point in time. None of us can tell the future, but I'd wager that a person who drives 25-30k / year will almost always have greater awareness of what's currently happening / about to happen / could happen, than somebody who only does 10k to the shops and back because they will have been forced to learn to drive more defensively and with greater general awareness. Experience and lessons hard learnt are the only way people really improve imho.

I've never had 'road rage' or even 'road mild irritation' but I always drive defensively because there are undoubtedly many drivers out there who are dangerous, either because they are aggressive and think they own the road (BMWs) or because they seem to be having a nice daydream as they go along and don't notice other the traffic sharing the road with them :wacko:

Very wise!