High Octane fuels better value?

Dynamic Turtle

Just did a very unscientific test on the slow lane of the M25. These are trip computer cruising figures @ 55mph avg. The 101 was probably 30% tesco99 left in the tank. I filled up with v-power with about 10% 101 octane in the tank:

101 octane racing fuel @ 153p/l - 39mpg

97 octane V-power @ 144p/l - 33mpg

99 octane Tesco @ 131p/l - 36mpg

So in the case of 101 vs V-power I'm paying 6% more for 4% more fuel that translated in a faintly believable 18% increase in fuel economy. The value proposition falls against Momentum99 - only 2% more economical given how cheap it is (and not including clubcard vouchers, which might render it equal).

Anyway I found it surprising despite how unscientific this all is. Why is 95 octane so popular? Is the market structured like this to get punters in the petrol stations more often for overpriced red bull?

I put 7 quids worth of standard fuel in my car the other day and it ran like a bag of -.. when I bought it I was advised never to buy 'standard' fuel.

I normally run on vpower which is 97 but must admit I dont think I get the same economy from tesco momentum 99.. maybe its in my head...? Regardless of 'brand' I guess 99 is alway going to be better but.. I'll be driving into shell beforee a tesco any day.. Your thoughts

I was told tesco reaches its octane rating with more additives than vpower

I worked for an oil additive company that supplied Shell with the early version of V-Power namely Optimax. This was a complete package developed in conjunction with Shell at Thornton Research and was exclusive to Shell. This contained a lot more than just an octane booster including dispersants, detergents, anti-oxidants, inhibitors etc and was pretty expensive, a tanker load of this cost Shell £40k back in the early 2000's. The Octane booster itself is relatively cheap so I'm guessing that Tesco will just have the octane booster and a minimal amount of other additives to keep the forecourt price down.

Pete

• Like 1

I have used both 95 and 99 octane in my VR6 Corrado.

The 99 provides significantly better fuel economy, but also the car is faster - without any doubt - it just runs so much better.

False economy using 95 in my opinion.