Touareg or XC90 (Anyone with experience of either)

rtbiscuit

The new family biscuit wagon has boiled down to these 2 and I wondered if anyone had experience of either. My personal preference was the BMW X5 but after having a look at one sadly the boot wasn't big enough for the double buggy and all the extra gubbins. Have had a look at both the teg and the XC both will do the job. Personal preference is the VW but my wife prefers the Volvo as it has the largest boot with the back 2 seats down.

Things I'm aware of on both

XC90: spine gear on the AWD can fail, gear box failure, electrical faults, and water leaks,

Touareg : gear box valves, prop shaft failure, wheel alignment

Never been in a touareg but I have in an xc90- it gets good reviews but I wasn't a huge fan. It was my cousins and I was comparing it to his x5 he had previously but the Volvo wasn't a patch on it. Didn't feel anywhere near as solid or as tight as the x5 did

You driven either?

My colleague had a XC90 before his Range Rover (a full size one, not the RRSport). Although he loves the RR, he says the loading capacity on the XC90 was considerably bigger. I can't remember the exact details, but he'd continually bang on about he got 3 double mattresses and some flat pack furniture in it after a trip to Ikea.

Probably some Swedish meatballs too.

• Like 1

Would love the X5 but boots too small. Q7 is great, but got the choice down to two. Prefer the drive and interior of the VW but the loads space and family layout and the fact the xc90 is cheaper makes it hard to ignore.

Looking at the 2.4 diesel on the XC and the 2.5 diesel on the touareg,

Neither will set the world on fire performance wise, but is family practical for a few years.

We've had an XC90 for around 5 years and the only issue we've had is the power steering pump failed.

The car is used for towing most weekends and has seen the usual stress a 4x4 would.

Fantastic car, very comfy and smooth. It also returns pretty decent mpg used as an every day car, and it shifts when it has to.

We've had an XC90 for around 5 years and the only issue we've had is the power steering pump failed.

The car is used for towing most weekends and has seen the usual stress a 4x4 would.

Fantastic car, very comfy and smooth. It also returns pretty decent mpg used as an every day car, and it shifts when it has to.

what year car? And which engine?

what year car? And which engine?

its a 2.4 D5 Sport? Its a 2007. Mileage is currently around 80k on it. Got it with around 25k on it.

The wife's got a 56 plate 2.5 touareg and she loves it. But it's heavy on the juice and eats tyres for breakfast. However the amount of kit you get for your money is so much more than the x5. I paid 10k for a 56 plate with 60k on it 2 years ago and it's got all the toys on it including tvs in the headrests and a playstation 2. Couldn't even find a 54 plate X5 for that at the time. Best of all it's lovelly to drive and probably the best car I've ever driven in the snow.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to have this choice in a few months.

I need something that can tow and travel to the corners of the uk using as minimal fuel as possible.

I do love the look of the Touareg, but for the money the xc90 is a massive contender.

What did you decide in the end?

I need something that can tow and travel to the corners of the uk using as minimal fuel as possible.

I do love the look of the Touareg, but for the money the xc90 is a massive contender.

I have just collected an XC90 today already does double the MPG of my jag

I have just collected an XC90 today already does double the MPG of my jag

Not difficult that :lol:

Enjoy the rugrat mobile, all for a good cause :)