Renewal wasn't great - after a bit of hunting - Admiral wins. Any good?

wmr1980

I was with Chris Knott and because I had a company car I lost my 15 years of no claims which was a pain, so I was back at ground 0 when I got the Zed. CK were one of the few places that were able to offer a competitive quote.

This year, my renewal came in and it was higher or as high as last year's which was disappointing.

I started to hunt around, rang a few of the brokers listed here and found very little that was going to compete.

Went to Admiral, and managed to get £480 fully comp, £0 voluntary excess and £100 compulsory excess with courtesy car etc...

I found that adding my wife has helped too even though it is doubtful she'll ever drive - but her 6+ years of NCB and 15 years of driving experience undoubtedly helps.

So are ADmiral any good?

Edited by wmr1980

They just didn't take it into consideration. I had a private car for 12 years, then had 3 years of company car, but although I had a letter from the company I was told it was because it wasn't a policy in my name they decided it wasn't applicable. :(

Edited by wmr1980

Shopping around for various premiums recently, I must confess that Chris Knott Insurance make me laugh. They yesterday told me that they are unable to insure me at ANY price because I have had less than 1 years experience driving a car of similar power. This despite the fact that I am a 40 year old man with max no claims. It just cracks me up that they have this policy like i'm some spotty 18year old that has just passed the test. Well that's my rant... Their loss is A-Plan's gain.

I have to say that the "not driven this sort of car" argument is so irritating.

I've owned more powerful cars than the Zed, and have had my bike licence for over 10 years, and 17 years of normal licence with 0 points and 0 claims and yet I get stung because of some stupid audit trail which isn't continuous. Still, if Admiral can honour that £480 FC I'll be happy.

Admiral are okay but their modifications "cover" policy is a complete joke. Also be forewarned, they employ the automatic renewal so next year when their quote is 3x your current premium they'll just take it off you unless you specifically cancel it.

Edited by ilogikal1
  • Like 1

Well Chris Knott came back to me and offered a competitive quote. £20 more - however, I'm thinking of going with them since they have looked after me well in the past, and their Ts&Cs are pretty good. And for £20 more than Admiral probably worth it no?

What annoys me is the fact that insurance companies are willing to match or be more competitive just for the business, so why not make the premiums lower in the first place? I'm clearly low risk - 15+ years of experience, mid 30s, married and not a chav.