Reporting seller selling a clocked vehicle

josh2005

Hi all!

Long story really, but I sold my 350z last year, she had 61,000 on the clock but where i'd serviced it and maintained her myself she didn't have any service history, I was ok with this but I knew it'd affect the re-sale of the vehicle!

Fast forward 6 months the person I sold it to wanted to sell it and gave me first refusal, unfortunately I didn't have the funds and he sold it to soneone else, at this point she had near on 72k on her. Now I've seen the same car for sale again somewhere else, this time she has little over the milage on the last MOT which I did (60,000) and also has a full Nissan Service History (which is funny as I still have the wallet showing receipts for parts I bought along with mileages!), no surprise he's also asking £2k more than what he must have paid for it!

Now I normally wouldn't want to get involved but this to me is completely wrong for someone to buy a car with the sole intention of clocking it and giving it a fake service history. I just didn't know the best proceedure for getting this person reported, going off their mobile number they buy and sell a large number of cars in the £5-10k bracket and I'd guess this is what they do.

That's bad, well done for noticing and speaking up. In a first instance I'd try Crimestoppers, and HMRC (see if they're registered for self employment, HMRC love this type of thing), I'd also try and find out where the "full service history" came from and notify Nissan, as they've obviously had help to forge it. I'd then post a link here, and on the various 350z facebook pages.

Yeah it's not right at all, I know it's only 10k miles but it's the fact its been done at all as well as the fake service history book.

To warn others to check her over fully she's an Azure Blue 2004 (53 plate) now showing 60,000 miles... I won't post the link just in case it breachs Admin rules etc??

I don't really know what'd be the best way to report it properly.

At the moment I have the link to the advert, a mobile number, some emails with him saying definately serviced and definately 60,000 miles.

I could probably get his address if I said I wanted to arrange to view it.

I don't really know what'd be the best way to report it properly.

At the moment I have the link to the advert, a mobile number, some emails with him saying definately serviced and definately 60,000 miles.

I could probably get his address if I said I wanted to arrange to view it.

Just told you...Trading Standards... :surrender:

I wouldn't put a link up - at the moment he is anonymous, as soon as you put a link up you could open yourself up to all sorts of grief.

Agree, trading standards is the place to pursue this - they are good in my experience.

I once went to an auction with a relative who got outbid on a car by a local dealer - he regretted not carrying on bidding, so went the dealership to see what he could get it for after the event and it had miraculously shed 36 000 miles and had a 'new ' service history!

It must be very tempting to do it, but it is a sh!te trick.

As has already been said, go to Trading Standards. Your local office will do and they will contact their people nearest to the naughty boy. There is no need for you to contact anyone else or do anything else, just leave it to them. If you do contact them then ask the person for their name and you can always check back to ensure your complaint is being dealt with.

Car clocking is big business and I am sure they'll be pleased to hear from you.

• Like 1