ADVICE PLEASE GUYS !

JEMAN

Hi all. I recently had new plugs fitted to see if it would help the pinking issue. All was ok for a few days, but yesterday on the way home from work it started pinking again. Now the car doesn't pink when cold, and yesterday was very hot, so could heat be the issue as I have a pop charger fitted and have heard that they may not be the best air filter due to the heat from the engine ? A couple of pics to show the filter. My second question is do you think the MAF sensor could also have something to do with it ? I would like to remove and clean it but not sure how easy or hard it is and what to/how clean it......I've got some IPA if that's any good ? The last pic is the MAF (I think). is that the black side bit ? Any help/info would be grateful. Cheers

imagejpg2_zps0589cb12.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsd24980aa.jpg

imagejpg3_zps19043ba5.jpg

Hi Zedmanalex, I get this loudish crackling ( with windows open) when accelerating.......not hard acceleration. Only when it's hot though. Any ideas ?

Bradders it's the above mate lol, sounds like nails rattling around in the engine every now and then. :)

Ah ok......so how does the MAF sensor come out and get cleaned ? Is it fairly easy ? Also do you think disconnecting it will prove anything ? Cheers

Edited by JEMAN

Get it to a Rolling Road and put it on some rollers with a Air/Fuel curve .......... Ill give you £20 if its pinking ;)

Heat makes air thinner so theres less chance of running lean, it should be worse when its cold, it would also be worse when on full throttle than anything less. Have you tried unplugging the AFM like suggested last time?

pinking is the pingy dullish metal sound from the cylinders like tapping a drum stick on a metal block. Its not loud. Bad fuel, timings can be the cause. Cam sensor would be more the cause than MAF sensor.

Would need a video to diagnose the sound properly. I suspect you have something else. Maybe something loose around the Air Cone filter

Cleaning guide for The MAF senor is in the guides section. The MAF can be seen on the first pictureto the left of the Cone filter. The plug that has a lead running to it.

Ah ok......so how does the MAF sensor come out and get cleaned ? Is it fairly easy ? Also do you think disconnecting it will prove anything ? Cheers

The MAF sensor is held in by Torq security type screws ~ you will need a Torq set like below to remove it...

safety-screwdriver-bits-screwdriver-1904396.jpg

I cleaned my MAF sensor years ago and I believe I used brake cleaner to do it back then. Sorry it's been a while. You need to be careful though as it's very easy to damage if you're not careful and a fairly expensive part.

Found this video from Youtube as a cleaning example.

No idea if it will make a difference though to the problem you're having but can't hurt to try it. FYI ~ make sure you disconnect the battery first before you unplug the MAF. :thumbs:

• Like 2

what the hell is pinkling? lol

If I'm mot wrong (and it has been known) pinking is the sound you can hear when the fuel air mixture in the cylinders detonates (like a diesel), instead of burning rapidly and it can wreck your engine eg put a hole in the top of the piston! Its usually most noticable when the engine is under load eg when going up a hill in a highish gear, putting your foot down will make it pink badly if there is a problem. Common cause on older cars was ignition timing being out, with the Z I guess you could still get that but it may mean something was awry with sensor or the ecu (off the top of my head!!!)

Pinkling now, is that still legal?

• Like 1

Hi Zedmanalex, I get this loudish crackling ( with windows open) when accelerating.......not hard acceleration. Only when it's hot though. Any ideas ?

Bradders it's the above mate lol, sounds like nails rattling around in the engine every now and then. :)

Probably a loose heat shield or similar.

Doubt if it is pinking, but if it is I would not drive it under load.

The best way to describe pinking as some one posted recently, is it sounds like a skeleton having a w#nk inside a tin can.

Edited by ZMANALEX
  • Like 3

Cheers guys.....live removed MAF and cleaned it, I used IPA as this cleans components ETC and I didn't touch the wires just slushed it around for a bit. Now fitted back on so this properly won't make any difference but well worth a try :) anything else anyone can think of ? I'll try to under to look at heat shield but not really sure what to look for........I'll google to see where it is.

Edited by JEMAN

Probably a loose heat shield or similar.

Doubt if it is pinking, but if it is I would not drive it under load.

The best way to describe pinking as some one posted recently, is it sounds like a skeleton having a w#nk inside a tin can.

that's what I was thinking probably the cat's or y pipe heat shield.

I thought the knock sensor was the equivalent of the 'pinking' sensor in that it detected pre-detonation and retarded the ignition to suit? If that has failed then there should be a CEL warning unless some helpful soul has removed the bulb before you bought the car. I take it the engine light come on when you first turn the ignition on?

My money is on a heat shield too. Most have mine have come loose and been wired back on over the years.

Sorry to hijack this a bit but is it possible to have no MAF sensor? My car came with an induction kit when I bought it and I can't see it.

It is possibly to run without a MAF as I did on my old Impreza but I believe you would need an upgrade ECU to do this which is what I had.

I would imagine it's highly unlikely your Zed is MAF-less tbh though. Do you have any pictures? :dry:

Sorry to hijack this a bit but is it possible to have no MAF sensor? My car came with an induction kit when I bought it and I can't see it.

It is possibly to run without a MAF as I did on my old Impreza but I believe you would need an upgrade ECU to do this which is what I had.

I would imagine it's highly unlikely your Zed is MAF-less tbh though. Do you have any pictures? :dry:

You would have had a MAP sensor then, its not possible to run a modern engine without some kind of air metering ............ unless you unplug the thing of course. If the car is still "pinking" with it unplugged then its not pinking at all. For the third and final time ;):lol:

OK so say the previous owner fitted the induction kit and left off the MAF sensor what would happen?

I will take some and get them up!

You would have had a MAP sensor then, its not possible to run a modern engine without some kind of air metering ............

Yep you're correct. ;)

I can't remember everything I paid for to be put on that darn Impreza. Literally just chucked money at the garage and said make it faster. :lol:

OK so say the previous owner fitted the induction kit and left off the MAF sensor what would happen?

I will take some and get them up!

Not sure it would run correctly at all ~ as docwra mentioned it would need a MAP sensor.

Pictures would help. :thumbs:

oem maf is at the top of the pipe chances are it is underneath at the bottom of the pipe some induction kits allow this to happen.