350z burning oil

smartme

hi guys / girls new to the forum had my 05 350z 2 month now and love it ,i have a problem the last week or so i noticed vie the wing mirror blue smoke coming from exhaust and smells of oil only seems to do it when i come to a stop at lights ect and setting off but only seems to to it when its been running for 20 mins or so can someone please advice me on what this could be thanks in advance

hi ekona thanks for reply ok i did a oil change 2 days ago so wont be sure until i build the miles up but as i say its the smoke from the exhaust when the car is been run for 20 mins or so and i come to a stop and its not a little smoke its a nice cloud like the exhaust is on fire lol the car has decats so not sure if this would cause it

Magnatec is probably the worst oil you could have chose to be honest! I'm sure the boys above will give you a recommendation on another oil viscosity.

Personally I would have went with Motul, Millers or Fuschs Titan Race Pro S

ok guys oil was a school boy error lol so what you guys think engine needs a rebuild ? as this problem is beyond me as just don't get why its smokes when warm and not cold and only when i stop at lights and setting off but the smoke is not there when on the move but did noticed twice today when i started it up after it was warm it would startup first turn of key then cut out then second time to start it would be fine sorry didn't put this in first post

Out of curiosity I googled the Magnatec oil suitability for the 350 and they list Magnatec 10W-40 A3/B4 for the VQ35DE (http://magnatec.castrol.com/en/oil-selector.html). So basically it will be a thicker oil compared to the 5W-30 you bought and should not be so susceptible to getting past the rings, particularly when it gets hot.

But as you say the smoke was appearing before the oil change and what came out was very black it may well be it was well overdue an oil change and that had broken down, which does not bode well for engine longevity.....sorry.

If it's got bore score/knackered rings/valve seals and passing the rings thinner oil will be worse......sounds like Magnatec is gnats **** thin (hence them recommending a thicker viscosity).

It's happening when it's getting hot because the oil runs thinner when hot.

Read below.

Bad valve seals will show themselves during prolonged idling at stop signs or traffic lights in congested city conditions. When the vehicle sits at idle for prolonged periods, high levels of vacuum at the intake manifold result because the throttle valve remains closed. The high vacuum attracts oil in the heads to congregate around the valve stems. Upon acceleration, the oil gets sucked past the eroding seal and down through the valve guide, where it burns in the exhaust. Huge clouds of blue-white smoke exit the tailpipe after each acceleration from a stop. The burning smoke will disappear during cruising or highway speed.

Sounds like another one looking for an engine :cry: happening more and more this malarkey. That engine we took out (and by we I mean the royal we......i.e Chris the mechanic at my place while I watched and made tea) last week had majorly shat itself but it's very hard to diagnose why.

I would be tempted to try a thicker, better quality oil first. Fuchs titan pro s for example, but thicker than the OEM recommendation. Maybe try a 10w - 40 or even a 15w 50.

If it's the stem seals they can be replaced easy enough, but rings and seals would be another story.

Good luck.

thanks guys for the help its much apprenticed to answer the question about oil psi when starting from cold it sits at 90psi and after about 7 mins sat there warming up before drive it drops to about 50psi when driving at 40 at just over 2000rpm in 4th gear it sits at just under 60psi and not long after 20 mins driving the smoke starts, also seemed to be worse today also check oil level today and still on max mark anyway does anyone know good engine builders around leeds area thanks

As previously said, best to carry out an accurate oil consumption test to establish what amounts of oil you may be burning over a period of say, 500 - 1000 miles.

However, before that, I would recommend that you carry out an oil and filter change with a genuine Nissan oil filter and proper engine oil.

Then give the car a chance to burn off the oils that may still be in your exhaust.

What cats are you running ? ;)

Best to do the above before you start thinking about 2K + engine builds.

Alex. :)