Suggestions please for a friend's next car.

Peak 370

This guy has always had 3 cars, a 4x4 for the chores, a sports car and something which can do a bit of everything.

Divorce and other changes mean one car only now.

He wants.:-

High power. No clutch pedal. Reasonably able as a daily driver. Ideally it will be tuneable. Reasonable on fuel.

Hatch or coupe.

Budget used but immaculate, is £35,000.

I have suggested Mercedes A45AMG. BMW M135i. BMW 135i. Audi RS3.

Edited by Peak 370

Can't help but wonder, why, with a budget of £35k, is he restricted to only having one car?

£20k and £15k would get him 2 very nice (but different) cars and probably tick all boxes.

• Like 3

Im bang on the same page at the moment, Ive recently tried:

Cayman - awesome but expensive for the newest, awesomest one

M435i - lovely car but a bit soft for my taste, could be good for your man though as an all rounder

M235i - really, really good, a joy to drive. M135i is similar but doesnt feel quite as sorted, 1M is far more involving and wont lose any money which is very tempting ........

Nismo 370 - beautiful to look at but not as good to drive as the above IMO, cost less to start with though

GTR's are amazing but feel a bit sanitised for me unless your going quick, 911's are a matter of taste (not to mine anyway ;)), Maseratis are too fragile for dailies, if you arent too scared of the fuel the Lexus IS-F, M5 and XFR are all brilliant in their own right and a C63 is worth the money for the sound alone :lol:

Theres loads out there for that kind of money, how old is he looking to buy?

Edited by docwra
  • Like 1

How about a xkr coupe or if that's not practical enough the xfr is very quick but has plenty of room in the rear and a big boot, or a 6 series bmw obviously rear seats are a bit compromised so if you need back seats and a big boot go for either a range rover or x6 maybe, then there is a wide selection of Audi but for me they're a bit clinical, m5 maybe the list goes on and on

Wish I had 35k to spend on a car the choices are almost limitless :)

Edited by tatooandy67

GTR perhaps

;)

GTR's are amazing but feel a bit sanitised for me unless your going quick, 911's are a matter of taste (not to mine anyway ;)), Maseratis are too fragile for dailies, if you arent too scared of the fuel the Lexus IS-F, M5 and XFR are all brilliant in their own right and a C63 is worth the money for the sound alone :lol:

Theres loads out there for that kind of money, how old is he looking to buy?

Unfortunately, thats what happens when the car can everything so well. Cruise to the shops, GT road trip of 4000 miles, track days on the way and bringing back over £300 worth of champagne

Cayman GTS (think its that one) is supposed to be rather good.

C63 AMG? Personally I didnt like it, but many do.

14N. He only has parking for one car now unless he parks on a busy main road 200 yards away and also he does not want two lots of road tax, two lots of servicing, extra insurance, two lots of MOTs, etc etc etc.

Which I understand, given that he is about £150,000 worse off than he was 3 weeks ago!

GTR, M3, Range Rover, XKR all out of the question, due to fuel. He does 80-140 miles a day.

It has to be reasonable on fuel and they are not.

Cayman S is a good shout, I recently sold mine.

Still think I would go A45AMG, 360 bhp from 2 litres, easy remap to 400 .

Even stock they do 0-60 in 4.3 seconds, 5 doors, 35 mpg. I drove one and it felt like 3 litres.

That will buy him my 911. I know I'm biased, but that's a better car than anything else mentioned (excluding GTR maybe, but that won't get 35mpg on a run).

Am more than happy to chat to him about it if he wants. :)

£35k will easily get you a decent M3....why bother looking at all the pseudo M cars and just go for the real thing.

The 1M and M235i are IMO better than the E92 M3 - just as quick but better handling and more involving. Seriously, Im struggling not to buy a 2 at the moment. :lol:

If a GTR is too bad on juice then the C63 is out the window as well, they are scary bad, and while I see what Graham is saying about the GTR, the Mazzer and M cars can do all that but feel like more of an event to drive, at least for me anyway. A 1M even at 20 mph is sensory overload, Id struggle to keep a license in a GTR as Id keep pushing that little bit more as they get better and better as you go faster and faster ;)

Ekona - its a matter of taste, Id take everything mentioned over a 997. You either get it or you dont I guess, I like them but I dont love em ;)

• Like 1

The 997 turbo is probably the most complete sports car ever made.

500 bhp, 30 mpg, awesome traction, top quality, great handling, can go to 650 bhp easily, lovely interior.

About £45K gets you into an amazing, immaculate car.

Edited by Peak 370

The 997 turbo is probably the most complete sports car ever made.

500 bhp, 30 mpg, awsome traction, top quality, great handling, can go to 650 bhp easily, lovely interior.

About £45K gets you into an amazing, immaculate car.

Really? 30mpg from a turbo charged 500bhp car......... I struggle to believe that! My GTR has averaged 22-23mpg, rather good considering what some others get.

If doing 80-140 miles per day, I would go comfortable and easy to drive.... Audi S5 maybe.

GTR is my pic off the day :-) it's fast got 4 seats and has a boot for putting stuff in it simples

2+2 rather than a 4 seater. Boot isn't exactly that big either.

For a big car, space is at a premium. Still an absolute hoot though!