Modifications insurance issue - need help finding right insurer

LordSQra

Hi

I have recently upgraded few things in my car. Basically I added a stubby, front lip splitter, rear diffuser, side skirts, an exhaust but just a rear box and an alloy gators, so cosmetic jobs only, nothing major I would say. I phoned my insurer today ( Esure ) to declare them and in their policy say that I should immediately inform them if I make any mods or changes to the car which improve its value, performance or attractiveness to thieves. This includes but is not restricted to changes to the engine, engine management or exhaust system, changes to the wheels or suspension system, changes to the bodywork, such as spoilers or body kits etc.

The guy who I was speaking to didn't have a clue what I am talking about when I mentioned a front lip splitter, he even didn't understand when I explained to him what that is lol. He transferred me to a broker and after speaking to him I was told that they going to cancel my policy as they don't accept these modifications. They can't find them in their listing and they claim it would increase the value of the car too much. What I did understand was that if I buy a whole bumper or a turbo and they would have it in their listing I would get that insured but there is too many of small changes and they can't accept it.

I am really **** off as I had 3 months left to the end of the policy and now I am going to lose a year of no claim as it's being cancelled. I phoned Adrian flux today, the guy over the phone knew what I was talking about when I mentioned parts but the policy price I was quoted was 980 quid which is double what I paid until now. I also requested call backs from other insurers and did a plenty of online quotes but their prices are still double I do pay now.

I knew that adding some mods will increase the insurance but wasn't expecting it to be that much.

I was planning to keep modding up the car but I am not sure if I will keep doing it if I will be charged every time I call to update insurance.

I was so happy that I pay 500 pounds for the insurance on such a big engine ( where I was quoted more for cars with smaller engines and don't really know how this system works !!! ) and along with the road tax it added up to a grand a year which I think was a fair price.

Some people say that their insurance increased by 10 pounds a year for having a spoilers, spacers etc installed and can't understand how insurers work those prices out.

My policy runs out tomorrow at noon and I would like to ask you for help with giving me some names of insurance companies that I may contact/get quotes from as I am running out of options and getting policy from Adrian Flux is quite pricey. If you have many modifications and do not pay a lot for them on top of your OEM insurance then please let me know who you are insured with.

Many thanks

• Like 1

try admiral, sky insurance and chriss knott (last two are traders on here I believe) sorry to hear your problem buddy but esure arent the greatest with performance cars in the first place but still harsh they cancelled your policy (however would expect nothing less from insurance in general). Im with Admiral and added front bumper and rear spoiler and few other bits and as it was all cosmetic they added £30 to premium and said I would only get oem replacement if got in accident. Generally dont change anything without checking with your insurance first, hope you get good quote elsewhere

Edited by jumping350

You need to do EVERYTHING you can to avoid getting a policy cancelled. If that happens, you will find getting any kind of insurance VERY difficult. It's right up there with drink driving in terms of folks who will want to touch you. If you have to remove the mods, that would be a better option.

Your body work mods are basically a bodykit, and that's how I'd describe it to them. They may be more helpful if you're a little more obtuse with your description: Most folks on the end of the phone are just call centre monkeys. Also the exhaust is just an exhaust (don't try and break it down), and the alloy gators I'd just send them the link or call them wheel rim protectors. Or even better, just take them off and learn to park properly, 'cos they look awful! :lol:

• Like 1

Why go through the trouble of explaining what a spitter and a diffuser is..... You should of just told them "a body kit" and left it as that. Less is more when explaining things to people who don't have a clue.

+1 for admiral tho 👠(or whatever guise they are in)

You need to do EVERYTHING you can to avoid getting a policy cancelled. If that happens, you will find getting any kind of insurance VERY difficult. It's right up there with drink driving in terms of folks who will want to touch you. If you have to remove the mods, that would be a better option.

Your body work mods are basically a bodykit, and that's how I'd describe it to them. They may be more helpful if you're a little more obtuse with your description: Most folks on the end of the phone are just call centre monkeys. Also the exhaust is just an exhaust (don't try and break it down), and the alloy gators I'd just send them the link or call them wheel rim protectors. Or even better, just take them off and learn to park properly, 'cos they look awful! :lol:

This

Do not allow your insurance to be cancelled.

Once it has been NO ONE WILL EVER INSURE YOU AGAIN !!!

Wow....you're seriously just going to let them cancel your policy and lose out on a Years Claim?

Not think to just say, fine I'll take them off, keep the policy as it is? As Ekona said, you need to be more broad to the monkeys behind the desk.

Just Say Bodykit and Wheels.

I have what sounds similar to yours, front lip, side skirts, rear diffuser, cat back exhaust, different colour wheels and tints, I was with Admiral and am now with prestige. I have the body parts insured as a body kit, but got my quote to state the parts individually, it was the insurers that suggested it that way.

Basically what I was told that they cannot offer to insure me any longer as they can't quote me on the insurance with all the modifications as it would exceed the value of the car. I don't know if it will be considered as the policy being canceled by them or me. Shall I give them a call back and say that I will take all the mods off and carry on with that policy. I am not sure if I can still do that as cover stops at noon tomorrow.

Regarding description shall I just say as you suggested bodykit and you reckon if I get in to an accident it will not make my insurance invalid and I won't be told that it is because I wasn't clear with its description. Curb rash was already there when I bought the car and I am just trying to cover it up.

Why would declaring it as a bodykit make it invalid? It is a bodykit!! A bodykit doesn't have to be a case of walking in somewhere and buying a 5 piece bodykit from one manufacturer.

Bodykit, exhaust and exterior changes (i.e. stubby and rim protectors) thats all you need them to add :)

Basically what I was told that they cannot offer to insure me any longer as they can't quote me on the insurance with all the modifications as it would exceed the value of the car. I don't know if it will be considered as the policy being canceled by them or me. Shall I give them a call back and say that I will take all the mods off and carry on with that policy. I am not sure if I can still do that as cover stops at noon tomorrow.

Regarding description shall I just say as you suggested bodykit and you reckon if I get in to an accident it will not make my insurance invalid and I won't be told that it is because I wasn't clear with its description. Curb rash was already there when I bought the car and I am just trying to cover it up.

I'm all for exact wording when it comes to insurance, but realistically you have just added a bodykit. Tell them it's a bodykit, send them pics to prove it, if they don't agree then you're stuffed. I'm betting they'd be fine with that, it's just that you've confused them now and they're thinking it's some huge OTT thing. If they're still not happy, well, that's just one of those things. Lesson learnt, don't use them again.

And yes, I mean remove everything. If you do that, then there's no reason for them to cancel the policy. Unless you're desperate for that extra year of NCB (how many are we talking here?), then at that point I'd be cancelling the policy myself and moving to a better insurer.

This folks, is why it's so important to speak to your insurers before doing anything to your car.

Take off the mods. Speak to insurance company and ask them what mods your allowed to do - what does it say in their list and pick mods from there.

DO NOT let the insurance be cancelled since you will not get insurance again anywhere. All companies ask "have you had insurance cancelled for any reason in the last 5 years?" If you say yeah they won't insure you period!

I agree with Ekona and others, remove mods and do not allow insurance to be cancelled by the insurance company.

Then start speaking to more reasonable insurance companies and decide if to change companies now or wait until your current policy expires.

I am with the RAC and insurance was dirt cheap till I told them about mods - just a spoiler and nismo intakes. Policy cost doubled, but fortunately because I am an old git double is still not bad. However, will be kicking them into touch very soon.

I'm all for exact wording when it comes to insurance, but realistically you have just added a bodykit. Tell them it's a bodykit, send them pics to prove it, if they don't agree then you're stuffed. I'm betting they'd be fine with that, it's just that you've confused them now and they're thinking it's some huge OTT thing. If they're still not happy, well, that's just one of those things. Lesson learnt, don't use them again.

And yes, I mean remove everything. If you do that, then there's no reason for them to cancel the policy. Unless you're desperate for that extra year of NCB (how many are we talking here?), then at that point I'd be cancelling the policy myself and moving to a better insurer.

This folks, is why it's so important to speak to your insurers before doing anything to your car.

Quick update. I phoned them day before yesterday and tried to explain again what was added to the car but it was already too late and couldn't stop it from being cancelled. I asked them about cancelletion of the policy and if I need to inform my future insurer about it being cancelled, I was told that I isn't necessary as the reason was them not being able to provide me with the insurance, not that it was cancelled due to me being dishonest etc. Overpaid money (I

paid in full upfront) will be refunded plus there is no cancellation fee charge. I am happy with it even though I lost a year of NCB which didn't really change my premium a lot (I have 6 years of NCB). Anyway as you said I have learnt my lesson and will know better how to deal with it.. My new insurance is with Prestige (Tim - thank you for your recommendation and competetive quotation). Thanks to all of you for help and prompt replays.

I asked them about cancelletion of the policy and if I need to inform my future insurer about it being cancelled, I was told that I isn't necessary as the reason was them not being able to provide me with the insurance, not that it was cancelled due to me being dishonest etc.

Good result, but GET THAT IN WRITING.

Letter MUST say that the policy was NOT cancelled. If it says anything else, then you WILL have to declare a cancelled policy to other insurers in the future and just hope you don't get a call centre monkey.

Glad you go everything sorted though matey, really pleased for you :thumbs:

You can understand the fear factor from the insurance companies when cars are modded as they will be in the position of having to replace these parts if your vehicle is damaged and that could be cost prohibitive.

A few company`s have probably caught a cold. (Imagine adding alloys to a policy and when they are nicked the insurance company finding out its 3K to replace them) and it would be interesting to know how much uplift there has been on all our policy`s to cover these costs.

Probably would have the same impact as all the whiplash claims and added to cars being written of as a cheaper option to repair.

I appreciate the modded cars and some do look good but when the 350 is 30 years old everyone will want a standard one.

I feel like this is so stupid! How can they just cancel it with no arguments.

So if I was to go out to my car, swap over another set of wheels, inform my insurer, they tell me, we can't insure that, we are now cancelling your insurance.

I then tell them, okay the wheels have been on for 10mins, I'll just switch back - Sorry we're still cancelling your insurance.

So ****ing stupid.

So if I was to go out to my car, swap over another set of wheels, inform my insurer, they tell me, we can't insure that, we are now cancelling your insurance.

I then tell them, okay the wheels have been on for 10mins, I'll just switch back - Sorry we're still cancelling your insurance.

So ****ing stupid.

What do they do when you've got two sets of wheels on your car? Implode I guess.

So ****ing stupid.

I think it may be different since he contacted them the day after, when it had already been cancelled. If he had of had the info he got here on hand at the time, they wouldn't have cancelled it in the first place.

The problem here is that they have any old Richard working in these car insurance call centres with no knowledge of cars themselves. If it was one of us on the phone we simply would have known what the lip etc was and told him he could put that down as a bodykit.

So ****ing stupid.

I think it may be different since he contacted them the day after, when it had already been cancelled. If he had of had the info he got here on hand at the time, they wouldn't have cancelled it in the first place.

The problem here is that they have any old Richard working in these car insurance call centres with no knowledge of cars themselves. If it was one of us on the phone we simply would have known what the lip etc was and told him he could put that down as a bodykit.

Yeah, I just think the insurance company should of stated to the OP we are cancelling UNLESS you remove the mods.

So ****ing stupid.

Which is why it's good practice to check with your insurer before adding (or even buying) any modifications. What if your insurers turn around and say "yes we can cover that, but it's going to cost you another billionty quid" but you've just spent every last penny you have on the wheels? Okay you can switch back but that leaves you with new wheels you can't afford to use. Check first, avoid all these issues entirely.

So ****ing stupid.

Yeah, I just think the insurance company should of stated to the OP we are cancelling UNLESS you remove the mods.

Yea thats fair, they should have offered that option. But, even then I don't think the OP would have taken them up on their offer.