Sad day in Motorsport in Scotland

Sad indeed, I really hope that no blame is apportioned to the drivers, unfortunately those poor people knew the risks and chose to stand where they stood. I cannot imagine for one minute what the drivers are going through, thoughts go out to everyone involved in this tragedy.

Yes a tragedy indeed. sorry for the families of the victims. Two were from the same family.

I believe they were in a restricted area, they had been moved back by the marshals,

but then returned to that area. Very sad.

Oh dear, that's so very sad.
  • Like 1

Already people are talking about banning it...!

FFS it's motorsport, it's dangerous, don't stand that close to rally cars going full tilt if you want to be 100% safe. I feel masses of sympathy for all involved, but it really was just a terrible accident.

• Like 2

FFS it's motorsport, it's dangerous, don't stand that close to rally cars going full tilt if you want to be 100% safe. I feel masses of sympathy for all involved, but it really was just a terrible accident.

Agree with you.

From what I've been reading about this the people in that area had been moved away by Marshals just as Will mentions above. Apparently they ignored the warnings and went back to the same area.

Saddened for the families of the deceased. RIP

That wont happen, and neither it should. There has always been tragedy in Motor Racing,

look at Le Man's in 1955, 84 people killed and many more injured.

"it said on your ticket "Motor Racing is Dangerous".

Its very sad this happened in Scotland, but it wont kill rallying in the UK, but I'm sure the H&S killjoys will have a say..!!

I'm not so sure. I bet it doesn't run next year, at least.

The Jim Clark Rally is a very popular rally,

it may have to find a new route and be run under different regs,

but I cannot see it been banned, nobody knows exactly why the spectators

were in a restricted area, we can only speculate.

I was sitting on the barriers at the kink in Le Mans early morning sharing a bottle of scotch

with the local Gendarmerie when Win Percy went off in the Jag and nearly killed us.. but our decision

to sit there and we were most certainly in a restricted area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rTzIIOr-yto

Edited by WhackyWill

I was down to compete in today's Jim Clark Reivers Rally so obviously on a personal level pretty gutted after investing lots of time, effort and money into preparing for this and it being cancelled. I was spectating on the Saturday since the car had to be down for scrutineering.

I appreciate that there has been some very sad news for friends and family of the victims and my heart goes out to them for their pain but I hope no blame is apportioned to the drivers or the organisers. I certainly hope they do not restrict or ban the event as it is the best UK tarmac and only closed road rally. At the end of the day spectators should know that it is a dangerous sport to watch and that if they choose to they should be very careful about where they choose to spectate from.

• Like 2

I know just how dangerous being a spectator at a rally is. I was standing on the outside of a bend in a forest in Wales, a good 25 yards if not slightly more from the forest track. Stood there for a good hour watching the cars go past until one driver ran slightly wide and sprayed me with small pebbles. The guy standing a few feet away wasn't so lucky, got hit on the forehead with a table tennis ball sized rock...ouch.

Pete

• Like 1