350z affected by weight?

whiltongee

For speed, add lightness.

You'll improve everything by removing weight: Acceleration, braking, grip, handling, the lot. It's equally as important to consider where you're removing weight from: Just removing the spare is not a great idea, as you'll then push the balance forward leading to the rear wanting to spin round more easily.

Looking at your car, you have the OEM wheels which are very heavy, so upgrading to a set of Rays will make a huge difference as it's unsprung weight. The seats are heavy too with all those motors and heating and padding, so loads to be lost there as well. They're also nice and central, thinking back to the balance thing again.

If you've never been to the Ring before, leave your car exactly as it is. That's really not the place to be experimenting, especially with no insurance in place.

+10000

BTW when are you going? I'm there from the 26th till the weekend. Could give you a few banzai laps to give you some pointers and an honest assessment of you and your cars abilities and you can start to implement changes from there onwards.😎

Damn it, I'm in Madrid but certainly up for that in the future.

:)

For speed, add lightness.

You'll improve everything by removing weight: Acceleration, braking, grip, handling, the lot. It's equally as important to consider where you're removing weight from: Just removing the spare is not a great idea, as you'll then push the balance forward leading to the rear wanting to spin round more easily.

Looking at your car, you have the OEM wheels which are very heavy, so upgrading to a set of Rays will make a huge difference as it's unsprung weight. The seats are heavy too with all those motors and heating and padding, so loads to be lost there as well. They're also nice and central, thinking back to the balance thing again.

If you've never been to the Ring before, leave your car exactly as it is. That's really not the place to be experimenting, especially with no insurance in place.

+10000

BTW when are you going? I'm there from the 26th till the weekend. Could give you a few banzai laps to give you some pointers and an honest assessment of you and your cars abilities and you can start to implement changes from there onwards.😎

Ah I have a while yet, Haven't decided the date yet but will probably be the end of August. Ah I would have defiantly taken you up on that offer!! Would we be better off going for a couple of week days or the weekend? I don't want the ring to be too busy as I will be holding people up :p

Make sure you have a good dump before you go out on track.

This will save you messing your pants as you "race your friends"

It will also contribute to the weight savings as well! :thumbs:

• Like 4

Beating your mates at The Ring :lol: :lol: :lol:

You obviously don't know how much Armco repairs cost :lol: :lol: :lol:

Learn The Ring, respect The Ring. First thing you need to beat are the gaps in your knowledge

Ah its all a bit of fun, we wont be going crazy haha

I will learn my limits and not push above them, I know the costs and scares of the ring! :O

Drive the ring like you would a country road, my first track day was at the ring last year got 10min 15secs on my first lap (driving quite tentatively making sure I didnt end up in the armco :lol: ) Go prepared with as much knowledge as possible and make sure your car is ready. You absolutely must have good brakes and tyres, also you must and I mean must keep alert to your surroundings, an example of this was last year I was coming round just after lauder kink onto the straight and doing just under 145mph when a gt2 rs came past me like I was standing still, if I hadn't of seen him coming it could have ended badly as at that speed theres little room for maneuver when you need to move sharply.

Most of all have fun and be safe its the best feeling in the world doing your first lap, im off again in three weeks :)

• Like 1

Drive the ring like you would a country road, my first track day was at the ring last year got 10min 15secs on my first lap (driving quite tentatively making sure I didnt end up in the armco :lol: ) Go prepared with as much knowledge as possible and make sure your car is ready. You absolutely must have good brakes and tyres, also you must and I mean must keep alert to your surroundings, an example of this was last year I was coming round just after lauder kink onto the straight and doing just under 145mph when a gt2 rs came past me like I was standing still, if I hadn't of seen him coming it could have ended badly as at that speed theres little room for maneuver when you need to move sharply.

Most of all have fun and be safe its the best feeling in the world doing your first lap, im off again in three weeks :)

Wow 10 mins 15 seconds is crazy for a first lap! haha that would be my best lap if I am lucky I reckon :surrender: What was your best time? And ah thank you for the advice I will bear that in mind! I have been doing as much research as possible :lol: I have heard of people playing enough Forza to get to know the track! :lol: Which to me is a good excuse to play my Ps3 more! hah

I tried the PS3 with learning the track, but once you sit in the car it all disappears out your head. It's totally unlike the game, okay the direction is the same, and that's about it. The elevation, camber, changes in track, occupied by other traffic, it becomes a whole new challenge. Also when you crash on the consoles, it's as easy as "Press restart" so you push all that harder in the game.

I played forza for a good 6 months before going it gives you an insight but its so different when you get there! The game doesnt portray the camber and bumps etc and its wider than the game shows. Ironically my first lap was best :lol: I may have done better but the other laps I completed all had a least one yellow flag! I am aiming for the 9s this year as I know myself and the car are easily capable but by no means will I be going hammer and tongs as safety and fun are the main priorities.

Go to pistenklause for a steak on the stone to! Thats a must while your there and you can put the obligatory ring sticker on once you've done it ;) shame your not going over at the same time I am!

I played forza for a good 6 months before going it gives you an insight but its so different when you get there! The game doesnt portray the camber and bumps etc and its wider than the game shows. Ironically my first lap was best :lol: I may have done better but the other laps I completed all had a least one yellow flag! I am aiming for the 9s this year as I know myself and the car are easily capable but by no means will I be going hammer and tongs as safety and fun are the main priorities.

Go to pistenklause for a steak on the stone to! Thats a must while your there and you can put the obligatory ring sticker on once you've done it ;) shame your not going over at the same time I am!

Yes the best Argentinian steak I've ever eaten!!!!!! (Good call!)

by created I assume you mean joined :)

No he created it - it's i writing now - Just like it is Buster's Zed shed as it is in print!

Simply send all bills direct to the OP for the hosting etc :thumbs:

:lol:

hope he's got plenty of money. Server renewal due at the end of the week :D

• Like 2

Would we be better off going for a couple of week days or the weekend? I don't want the ring to be too busy as I will be holding people up :p

You'll be only be on track on Touristenfahrten days and they usually are busy.

You will not be holding people up, they usually go past you, just keep an eye on the mirrors and indicate right and keep to the right when something approaches.

You can have anything from old Beetles to coaches to race cars doing some testing

Haha I may get some practice on Forza then but I will bear in mind it is totally different! Art least it is something ;) Thanks for the advice as I do love steak! Ah okay thanks puts my mind at ease about holding people up :p I do need to remember to stay on the right and not the left though!! :lol:

by created I assume you mean joined :)

No he created it - it's i writing now - Just like it is Buster's Zed shed as it is in print!

Simply send all bills direct to the OP for the hosting etc :thumbs:

:lol:

hope he's got plenty of money. Server renewal due at the end of the week :D

You know what I mean :wacko: Picking on the new guy is bullying ;)

I was going to say, cheapest weigh to lose weight is to chuck out the spare wheel ( which must weigh around 15k ), go commando, wear thinner socks, get a hair cut, evacuate your bowls, clip your nails and do a bit of exercise. :teeth:

I was with you all the way to "and do a bit of exercise" - :scare: - unless walking to the car counts????

• Like 1

I was going to say, cheapest weigh to lose weight is to chuck out the spare wheel ( which must weigh around 15k ), go commando, wear thinner socks, get a hair cut, evacuate your bowls, clip your nails and do a bit of exercise. :teeth:

I was with you all the way to "and do a bit of exercise" - :scare: - unless walking to the car counts????

Haha what about wearing no socks at all?! Or would that make things too light? :lol:
  • Like 1

Haha what about wearing no socks at all?! Or would that make things too light? :lol:

"Light weight" from removing socks and "Light headed" from the resulting pong, are very different things!

• Like 1

Get that boot weight out. Helps with boot pop and gives your boot struts a hand. Whilst you're there, the rear wiper doesn't do much except add weight and spoil her beautiful lines :)

It's so easy even I could do it!

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/71353-how-to-wiper-removal-delete/

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/79964-rear-window-wiper-delete-guide/

Buy the grommets first if you don't like it wet.

Edited by SuperStu

"Light weight" from removing socks and "Light headed" from the resulting pong, are very different things!

A possible compromise .....carbon fibre socks?

• Like 2

Exactly what I said.

At Spa in March, I deliberately left the spare in on the MR2 (it sits in the frunk) as I wanted more weight over the nose to get the car to turn in as conditions weren't great. It helped massively, and made the car far more nimble than if I'd removed it to save a couple of kilos.

Utilising the weight you have is as important as losing it. For example, relocating the battery to the boot would be a great idea as something easy to do.

Get that boot weight out. Helps with boot pop and gives your boot struts a hand. Whilst you're there, the rear wiper doesn't do much except add weight and spoil her beautiful lines :)

It's so easy even I could do it!

http://www.350z-uk.c...removal-delete/

http://www.350z-uk.c...r-delete-guide/

Buy the grommets first if you don't like it wet.

I have been thinking about taking the rear wiper off! Not to save weight but I think it looks funny with a wiper at the rear :p

Exactly what I said.

At Spa in March, I deliberately left the spare in on the MR2 (it sits in the frunk) as I wanted more weight over the nose to get the car to turn in as conditions weren't great. It helped massively, and made the car far more nimble than if I'd removed it to save a couple of kilos.

Utilising the weight you have is as important as losing it. For example, relocating the battery to the boot would be a great idea as something easy to do.

Good point, thanks. I will have a look at relocating the battery, would be nice to have as much traction as possible at the back!