Audis 5 cylinder engine

V6

Jaguar XJ220 hands down the best ever V6 noise

Honda NSX 3.0 litre or even better the NSXR

Jaguar F type V6

Alfa GTV 3.0

VW golf R32 but only with the milltek fitted

V8

The audi V8 in the spyker with the lazy tune makes the hairs on my neck stand up

Ford gt40 engine

Astons AJ-V8

V10

Lambo

Porsche Carreras V10

V12

Jag e-type

BMW 8 series

The Z is a properly nice sounding car Dan regardless of wether we own them or not. That's one of the reasons I bought one ;) I did forget about the NSX though still not enough to take top spot away from le Z :)

• Like 1

Not many oem cars sounds brilliant unless it's a super car etc, i agree on the stock z front though but when an exhaust/intake is added it really is up there.

Just like the e9x m3 stock sounds pony but exhaust on and it's glorious

Disagree, stock V8 on that car sounds great, as did the straight-six before it at full chat.

Stock Impreza sounds good, so does BRZ86, Exige V6, Focus RS etc.

BMW straight 6 :yuck: only because any drfit day in the uk thats all you hear on from go time tll stop boring as granted M3 might be different but from youtube videos still sounds like im farting down a toilet roll tube

Its an odd en, but I love the sound of the M3 CSL... wouldnt make the best ever though... for the same reason the z wouldnt... its not nice enough, enough of the time.

Link :

I would put f type v6 and v8 up for best ever... Love them...

Edited by Jaz 350z

The Z is a properly nice sounding car Dan regardless of wether we own them or not. That's one of the reasons I bought one ;) I did forget about the NSX though still not enough to take top spot away from le Z :)

sorry Arran, but have to disagree, the zed engine has been one of the most dissappoint sounding engines I've owned. Its not a bad sound, but its a long way from being the best. If I'm honest even with exhausts etc I'd put it as an average sound. Not dull, but doesn't set my heart a light.

Where as I do appreciate a deep engine, I still do prefer a screamer as an

absolute choice.

One of the reasons when it came down to it, in which I finally went for the 370Z was the fact that the engine had a bit more legs in it than the 350.

R32's sound very nice when pootleing about in town for a V6.

Where as I do appreciate a deep engine, I still do prefer a screamer as an

absolute choice.

One of the reasons when it came down to it, in which I finally went for the 370Z was the fact that the engine had a bit more legs in it than the 350.

R32's sound very nice when pootleing about in town for a V6.

see this is where personal preference makes this a very subjective subject. When I w's at a top gear roadshow a few years back, tiff needell did an engine noise section. He had a range of cars lined up with different engines and got them to show off. And it was very interesting. Cars I thought I'd love the sound of did nothing. For instance I learnt that day that Ferrari engines don't excite me. He had 3 there.and although they all sounded good, I found the note to highly tuned and screamy. Yes they were loud but their v8 and v12 did nothing. Where as the lazy tuned audi v8 in the spyker set the hairs on the back of my neck off. As did the mambo v10 the maserati v8.

So if you think a 355 with tube is nice, try a maserati or limbo with a tubi. Sarnie will defo vouch for that.

Its an odd en, but I love the sound of the M3 CSL... wouldnt make the best ever though... for the same reason the z wouldnt... its not nice enough, enough of the time.

Link :

I would put f type v6 and v8 up for best ever... Love them...

sounds like my mates civic on itbs

Off the top of my head and extremely loosely:

V6 - cheating but the 997 GT3 RS flat-6 is the most "motorsport" sounding engine I've heard. Not hugely sonorous but extremely....purposeful. I understand the love for the Zed note but ultimately it's a Jap V6 trying to be an American V8.

V8 - Maserati (GT, 4200 etc). Or the whatever they put in the De Tomaso Pantera - American block, Italian acoustic tuning. Mama mia!

V10 - the LFA has to take this, hands down. Batsh*t mental.

V12 - nothing springs to mind so I'll be unimaginative and vote for an Aston something.

• 9 months later...