Daryl

It is not that those of us who like our Zs and don't want a Porsche hate them or don't think they're good cars etc etc, it's simply that we're happy with our cars, irrespective of the fact that they don't have a 'premium' badge. That's what these threads celebrate in my view - being happy with your car regardless of the badge and in preference to more prestigious badges. And noticing that sometimes our cars get more attention than their more expensive counterparts.

As far as I can see no one has suggested that Nissan is a brand that equates to or has a similar prestige to Porsche. The fact is I'm proud to own a Nissan because I'm proud to own the car I own and it happens to have a Nissan badge on it. To be honest I could have afforded a Cayman S but it's just not a car I want to own. I couldn't care less that Nissan make some cheap and pig ugly cars (I think Porsche make some expensive and pig ugly cars). I'm also happy to own a car that comes from the same maker as the 350Z, previous Zs and the GTR.

I don't understand people who actually care what badge a car wears. Whether that's proud of the prestige, or rooting for the underdog, or just got a chip on their shoulder because other people have a better car full stop.

I've never cared what badge a car has, and never will. I don't care about history, or heritage, or prestige. I just care about driving a f***ing good car.

• Like 1

I don't understand people who actually care what badge a car wears. Whether that's proud of the prestige, or rooting for the underdog, or just got a chip on their shoulder because other people have a better car full stop.

I've never cared what badge a car has, and never will. I don't care about history, or heritage, or prestige. I just care about driving a f***ing good car.

Well said Ekona. Plus one. ;):)

Thats fair enough, and good on you. I never said they were bad cars, and you should be congratulated for actually driving the car as it was meant to be driven. Its just that i feel you are in the minority of people that actually do that. The rest just buy it because of the badge.

You'd be surprised, I think. I'd say that whilst some do buy Porkers for the badge, it's the minority that do so, especially the sports cars. If I had to put a figure on it, I'd say 80/20 in favour of the enthusiast.

That figure can probably be reversed for the non-sports cars, but then are those kinds of cars from any manufacturer bought for their dynamics?

Some people worry to much about trying to attract compliments or admiration. Don't get me wrong, it's nice if it comes your way but don't let attention whoring detract from the intrinsic pleasure you should be getting from a car like the zed.

It's about the car rather than badge for me. If I ever get round to buying my next 'weekend' car, I'll keep an open mind to all badge variants (except the French). lol

You'd be surprised, I think. I'd say that whilst some do buy Porkers for the badge, it's the minority that do so, especially the sports cars. If I had to put a figure on it, I'd say 80/20 in favour of the enthusiast.

That figure can probably be reversed for the non-sports cars, but then are those kinds of cars from any manufacturer bought for their dynamics?

Well never know but I'd imagine it's a higher percentage than that for whom the badge matters. For car enthusiasts Porsche is about quality, excellence etc. but I think there's a significant minority for whom there's a status symbol element.

For car enthusiasts Porsche is about quality, excellence etc. but I think there's a significant minority for whom there's a status symbol element.

The same could probably be said for people that own GTR's.

• Like 1

Imo I don't really care what anyone thinks of the car I have ~ love the 350 and that's all that matters to me.

Yes, couldn't agree more. I do listen to other peoples opinions on cars but at the end of the day usually ignore them :) . My budget would have stretched to a brand new Boxster S or a top of the range 3.2 Audi TT but I just fancied a 350Z. I like being different :) .

Pete

For car enthusiasts Porsche is about quality, excellence etc. but I think there's a significant minority for whom there's a status symbol element.

Doubt it very much. I don't think most non car enthusiasts would have any idea what they are.

A quick trip around any Supermarket car park will give you a clue to who really loves their car. Our ASDA has a split car park, the bottom car park has maybe 200 spaces and even on busy days there's only about 20 cars parked down there as it's a long walk (200 yards) to the store from there. The cars I see down there include the store managers white new style Audi TT and there was a Cayman S parked down there recently but I've yet to see for example a 50k Chelsea Tractor parked down there. The fact is that most people prefer to park as near to the doors as possible, doesn't matter if they've got a Porker, a Merc or an expensive BMW they'll just squeeze into the nearest available space to the door and if there isn't a space they just drive round and round the car park :wacko: . Caroline learned this the hard way when her Audi TT suffered damage twice in that car park, first time a big door ding and the second time a new front wing was required.

EDIT, I've yet to a see another Zed parked at the far end of the car park but have seen many parked up in the "danger" areas....including one who is a member on here :blush: .

Pete

Edited by JetSet

Doubt it very much. I don't think most non car enthusiasts would have any idea what they are.

Don't kid yourself, how many times do we hear the phrase "The GTR is better than *insert expensive prestige marque here* because it's so much faster everywhere!"? People are buying them because they have bragging rights, just as much as they are because they're a good car in their own right.They want one specifically because it's not a Porsche or a Ferrari or an Audi, which is as much to do with brand snobbery as it is buying an R8 over the fat Nissan.

Don't kid yourself, how many times do we hear the phrase "The GTR is better than *insert expensive prestige marque here* because it's so much faster everywhere!"? People are buying them because they have bragging rights, just as much as they are because they're a good car in their own right.They want one specifically because it's not a Porsche or a Ferrari or an Audi, which is as much to do with brand snobbery as it is buying an R8 over the fat Nissan.

I would believe most owners buy the gtr because their budget wont stretch to "enter prestige marque here", sure I have seen some owners change from prestige marques to the gtr as it is faster but most buy because for that performance and budget its the best out there in terms of outright speed.

I think your quite unique Ekona, I have no doubt you enjoy the Porsche for its driving experience, but I think your 80 20 split is way off the mark, in my opinion and experience of knowing owners of course. 79.5% probably want you to believe they have bought a Porsche as they are enthusiasts of its abilities, 19.5% are fat, balding middle aged men going through a mid life crisis hoping to attract a new younger replacement for their ageing wife by posing down the wine bar and have zero interest in its performance abilities. The final 1% are enthusiasts like yourself and Docwra.

Maybe its an area thing, it is certainly like the above my way :)

if you want your zed to stand out more than a porker do something like this to it, But then if your main priority is to get noticed arnt your just said lifestyler ferrari driver etc just without the cash

miguel_zaragoza_teal_350z1.jpg

tumblr_mepvhash9y1r431ico1_1280.jpg

• Like 1

In fairness, it could well be. I sit just outside the financial whizzyness of London, where there may be higher percentages of non-enthusiast buyers.

I too would buy a porsche if I had the money - a carrera 2 993 if youre interested, but I do love the 350 and I really like the fact that its a nissan (which has a fantastic motorsport heritage) and hardly anyone else apart from GT4 gamers know what it is! When I was little I always loved the 240z too and its funny wheel trims, but I was a little disappointed by the 120y! :)

Interestingly, at least one person I know tries to put the Z down by calling it a Datsun! I dont respond

In fairness, it could well be. I sit just outside the financial whizzyness of London, where there may be higher percentages of non-enthusiast buyers.

Not a case of "it could well be", sadly it is a fact in London and the more affluent suburbs where the price of properties (anything under a £million+ is becoming a rareity), dictates that you must also have the most prestigious cars that money can buy and they are certainly not petrolheads, just moneyheads.

And it seems the Chelsea Tractor image is a must have for the +1s doing the school runs - again image is way more important than whether they are necessary.

if you want your zed to stand out more than a porker do something like this to it, But then if your main priority is to get noticed arnt your just said lifestyler ferrari driver etc just without the cash

tumblr_mepvhash9y1r431ico1_1280.jpg

Now this I like

I wonder what people would make of your Zed badge if Nissan entered, and performed well, in F1...

Tedious link, but they are, through Renault. Though that is not something to brag about at the moment.