Apple Macbook, MacPro, iMac & IOS Tips, Tricks & Software Thread

Neilp

Is it stable enough so far? I'm running it on a VM, wasn't ready to fully commit :lol: Got iOS 8 on beta on my phone, really want to try out the handoff stuff.

Seems to be fine so far, everything I use on Mavericks seems to work. I have it on a Mac Mini (16gb RAM) it does say you need a certain spec to run it.

These are the "known" issues that apple point you to before installing . . .

afari

• Safari may hang when playing certain Netflix content.

iPhoto and Aperture

• iPhoto 9.5.1 and Aperture 3.5.1 are required on OS X Yosemite. Update to these versions from the Mac App Store.
  • When entering edit mode in iPhoto, a black screen may be displayed instead of the selected photo.
  • Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Sharing may not function properly when both iPhoto and Aperture are installed.

iCloud

• The shared purchase history page on the Mac App Store is disabled for Family Sharing accounts.
  • iCloud Drive may appear empty in the Finder after first time setup. Restart to resolve this problem.

AirDrop

• AirDrop may not show nearby Macs.
  • Sending files to another Mac using AirDrop may not work.

I never updated yet as I was worried about all the know bugs and issues. Also that iCloud doesn't update on devices without iOS8

Is it worth downloading the beta?

This is the public beta, so most of the issues were sorted out in the dev versions. As for if its worth it :shrug: depends if you mind the odd weirdness creeping in.

I dont sync much between my devices using iCloud, but I think when iOS8 comes out I will do more.

Is it stable enough so far? I'm running it on a VM, wasn't ready to fully commit :lol: Got iOS 8 on beta on my phone, really want to try out the handoff stuff.

Seems to be fine so far, everything I use on Mavericks seems to work. I have it on a Mac Mini (16gb RAM) it does say you need a certain spec to run it.

These are the "known" issues that apple point you to before installing . . .

afari

• Safari may hang when playing certain Netflix content.

iPhoto and Aperture

• iPhoto 9.5.1 and Aperture 3.5.1 are required on OS X Yosemite. Update to these versions from the Mac App Store.
  • When entering edit mode in iPhoto, a black screen may be displayed instead of the selected photo.
  • Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Sharing may not function properly when both iPhoto and Aperture are installed.

iCloud

• The shared purchase history page on the Mac App Store is disabled for Family Sharing accounts.
  • iCloud Drive may appear empty in the Finder after first time setup. Restart to resolve this problem.

AirDrop

• AirDrop may not show nearby Macs.
  • Sending files to another Mac using AirDrop may not work.

I never updated yet as I was worried about all the know bugs and issues. Also that iCloud doesn't update on devices without iOS8

Is it worth downloading the beta?

This is the public beta, so most of the issues were sorted out in the dev versions. As for if its worth it :shrug: depends if you mind the odd weirdness creeping in.

I dont sync much between my devices using iCloud, but I think when iOS8 comes out I will do more.

I updated to this but then took it back off again. Really don't like the graphics on it. Was far too much of a change for me at the moment. Think I will wait until the final version is released

Optical drive? What's that???

No idea mate.

A friend came round and said that it was the cause of the issue, or rather the fan that supports it.

It just clicks and chirps all the time, its pretty annoying. Sounds like a squeaky fan CONSTANTLY.

Optical drive? What's that???

No idea mate.

A friend came round and said that it was the cause of the issue, or rather the fan that supports it.

It just clicks and chirps all the time, its pretty annoying. Sounds like a squeaky fan CONSTANTLY.

Whilst they've got it open, why not pop in an SSD? My authorised apple repair fellow installed a 500GB solid state drive on mine and she rips along nicely, plus you can pop the old drive in a caddy for backup.

Whilst they've got it open, why not pop in an SSD? My authorised apple repair fellow installed a 500GB solid state drive on mine and she rips along nicely, plus you can pop the old drive in a caddy for backup.

I'm pretty sure it's already got a 500GB SSD mate, it's a Spring 2011 model.

I'm pretty sure it's already got a 500GB SSD mate, it's a Spring 2011 model.

I think he means pop another one in, far more useful than a DVD drive...

I think he means pop another one in, far more useful than a DVD drive...

Ah, right got cha.

Even that is no real use to me, i just don't need it. If I did anything, I'd put another 8GB of RAM in it I think.

Oh and I got it wrong it's a Spring 2012 version.

• 1 month later...

I would honestly take it to mac. My buddy's 8 year old macbook pro hd failed and he got it replaced under good will.

MBP is the business! Love mine and on it constantly. Infact my life basically revolves around it. I no longer use my work laptop at work because the mbp is just so much quicker and efficient.

Edited by Neilp

I would honestly take it to mac. My buddy's 8 year old macbook pro hd failed and he got it replaced under good will.

MBP is the business! Love mine and on it constantly. Infact my life basically revolves around it. I no longer use my work laptop at work because the mbp is just so much quicker and efficient.

that was exceptional good will Neil.

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

that was exceptional good will Neil.

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

t'was mate, they said that it was an uncommon issue that had caused it and it shouldn't have happened. They did look at his records and seen he had paid for apple care etc, he had also taken it to them over the years for servicing and repairs etc. So, as usual, with apples phenomenal customer service, they done him a favour.