Porsche 911 (996)

stuarty

My reply is based on reading through you're past posts and building a psychological profile of you're character. This information coupled with the fact I owned a 996 for almost 4 yrs leads me to conclude ... Move on it ain't for you :thumbs:

Test drive and read reviews ! Ultimately make you're own mind up ... It's the only way

• Like 1

What I'd suggest is this.

Contact someone selling the Porsche.

Hand them 5k then tell them to drive the car to the nearest BMW garage and trade it in for whatever they want for the car minus 5k.

Then drive away in a new BMW *insert model of car that you'll convince yourself you want and get rid of in 3 weeks here*

It'll just save a lot of pissing around

Can't... breathe... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Need... air... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, just buy another BMW. Tbh mate if it was anyone else asking I'd have happily given up some time to give you a detailed overview of 911 ownership, but since you seem to ignore everything any one says on cars and simply just buy a BMW any way I'm not really sure I can be bothered.

Not mean harshly, but it's the truth. :shrug:

• Like 3

Hand them 5k then tell them to drive the car to the nearest BMW garage and trade it in for whatever they want for the car minus 5k.

Then drive away in a new BMW *insert model of car that you'll convince yourself you want and get rid of in 3 weeks here*

Not Nice, Ricey!

I hope your customer service is nicer?

Can't... breathe... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Need... air... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, just buy another BMW. Tbh mate if it was anyone else asking I'd have happily given up some time to give you a detailed overview of 911 ownership, but since you seem to ignore everything any one says on cars and simply just buy a BMW any way I'm not really sure I can be bothered.

Not mean harshly, but it's the truth. :shrug:

At least I cant be accused of not buying cars!

• Like 1

Not Nice, Ricey!

I hope your customer service is nicer?

Mate if you were buying cars off me I'd quite literally have the red carpet out..... You'd bank roll my whole year!

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

• Like 3

How about buying a 911 and than sticking a BMW badge over the Porsche badge....That way you get the best of both worlds a new/different car, and a BMW badge :D

More seriously though the most expensive bit of any car is depreciation, the quicker you change cars the more you loss. I've worked out my 335i all in (mods/servicing/insurance/road tax/depreciation) has cost me £650/months over the last 3 years, deprecation alone accounts for 45% of that figure!!

Over the next 3 years assuming the same rate of depreciation (50% in 3 years) the ownership costs will drop to £300-350/months, purely because the car is worth less now so even though it's still deprecating at the same rate the money 'lost' is less....I can bet if you add up all the money you've spent changing cars it would have worked out much the same if you had bought a M3 in the first place and kept it rather than swapping cars every few months!!!

At least that way your spending money on something you enjoy driving rather than spending all your time driving around looking for you next car :)

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

How about buying a 911 and than sticking a BMW badge over the Porsche badge....That way you get the best of both worlds a new/different car, and a BMW badge :D

More seriously though the most expensive bit of any car is depreciation, the quicker you change cars the more you loss. I've worked out my 335i all in (mods/servicing/insurance/road tax/depreciation) has cost me £650/months over the last 3 years, deprecation alone accounts for 45% of that figure!!

Over the next 3 years assuming the same rate of depreciation (50% in 3 years) the ownership costs will drop to £300-350/months, purely because the car is worth less now so even though it's still deprecating at the same rate the money 'lost' is less....I can bet if you add up all the money you've spent changing cars it would have worked out much the same if you had bought a M3 in the first place and kept it rather than swapping cars every few months!!!

At least that way your spending money on something you enjoy driving rather than spending all your time driving around looking for you next car :)

My man maths tells me it's cost me around £800 per month over last 3 years in depreciation and fuel with no running costs because I've never changed anything and I don't think I've taxed a car either because I change it so soon!

996 Turbo / 997 Turbo or an R35 are probably the only cars that will keep you entertained and that you will want to keep at least into a second week :thumbs:

996T is bonkers when it's on boost. Just doesn't want to stop accelerating (and mine is the standard 414bhp version, mapped to 500+ bhp they are apparently planes without wings). Off boost it's pretty sensible (ie 370z speed and fuel consumption). BUT you have to live with the fact that it's a ten year old car, interior is a bit naff, etc etc. On the plus side, someone originally paid nearly 90k for the car that's sat in my garage now.....and it wasn't me :teeth:

• Like 4

My man maths tells me it's cost me around £800 per month over last 3 years in depreciation and fuel with no running costs because I've never changed anything and I don't think I've taxed a car either because I change it so soon!

£800/month....in exchange for driving things like a 320i :scare:

If I was in your position, have that much spare £££ to spend and wanted to change cars ever 12-24 months I would be leasing a F10 M5 or E63 AMG. Yes they cost stupid £££ to run, but at least your getting your moneys worth interms of car!

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

More seriously though the most expensive bit of any car is depreciation, the quicker you change cars the more you loss.

This is especially true if you buy your cars new (or almost new). I looked to trade my 2006 Zed for one of the last 313's in 2008, had I excepted the offer it would have meant a loss of £11,000 in just 30 months (and it only had 5k on the clock) . In the 6 years since then I'd estimate it's gone down a further £7,500 and providing I keep it in good nick I'd expect it to go down somewhere around £1k a year. Had I have exchanged the Zed I would over the 6 years have lost £15,000-£17,000 on the 2008 by now. On the minus side it'll mean that if I want something nice I'll have to find a fair sum of money.

Pete

• Like 1

£800/month....in exchange for driving things like a 320i :scare:

If I was in your position, have that much spare £££ to spend and wanted to change cars ever 12-24 months I would be leasing a F10 M5 or E63 AMG. Yes they cost stupid £££ to run, but at least your getting your moneys worth interms of car!

When I bought my New BMW 320i sport plus edition saloon in April 2012, I was offered a brand new M3 DCT for £699 a month for 24 months then hand it back and walk away. I though to myself who would crazy enough to do that?

Anyway I kept the the 320i saloon less than six months and lost around £5k when I traded it in and bought the same car but in coupe form in the October. I kept that for about 8 months until may 2013 and bought a z4 roadster and lost another £4k. Kept the z4 until October 2013 and traded it in for my z4 coupe and lost another £3k. My coupe has probably depreciated £2k since i bought it,

So since April 2012 I've lost £14k in depreciation in 24 months which is around £583 per month just on depreciation then add the cost of transferring my private registration etc. So your correct i could have haggled a deal and probably had the M3 for around the same price.

The other thing to note is that i only drive 4000 miles per year so if i add £1500 for my 8000 miles in 2 years it's actually cost me £15500 to travel 8000 miles in 2 years which works out around £1.93 for every mile not including insurance etc!!!

Bit of free advice: Stop buying dull cars you lose money on, and start buying fun ones you lose money on. At least that's more fun!

Buy cars = lose money.

Shocker!

Keep trading in new cars and all you are doing is funding two lots of profit for the saleman!!

At least you've now worked out all the sums!! I think too many people get obsessed by mpg/tax figures and forget depreciation is a far bigger cost (unless your doing massive miles)....

So what's your next car going to be ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least you've now worked out all the sums!! I think too many people get obsessed by mpg/tax figures and forget depreciation is a far bigger cost (unless your doing massive miles)....

So what's your next car going to be ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure TBH, if my Z4 3.0i si coupe was 25% bigger i would keep it for a while. It's a good looking car, goes well, cheap to tax (£280), cheap to run on fuel (31 mpg around town and 42 on motorway), it handles well enough for me and is all serviced etc for the next 18 months. But the small size and ridiculously hard ride is the killer.

I don't think I would want a fast hatch or fast family saloon like focus RS or Audi Rs4 etc. i also don't want anything French either. I think its got to be a coupe, preferably 2 seats and 6 or 8 cylinders and reliable. The looks is the most important thing, followed by power and handling.

Finally I don't really need a car as everywhere i go is walking distance and I've got great train/ bus links to Glasgow and Edinburgh so it's just a toy/hobbie i suppose. Probably 370Z, Cayman, etc would be best options.