Badge snobbery is really amusing!

stanski

Sorry folks its difficult to transfer emotional reaction on a forum post, but imagine someone handed you a snow ball in winter that was yellow! Imagine that facial expression when I mentioned the N word to that guy!

Up to that point he thought the car looked ace! Anyway just for the record I dont have a problem with BMW , Merc etc etc I just dont like to be the same as everyone else?

I do however dont like people making assumptions about something because of it has a perception. A mondeo will probably do as good a job as a beemer but that Ford badge is assumed cheap whilst the 3 series BMW is seen as something higher up the car lifestyle level.

I used to dis Jap cars until I got one and now I am their biggest ambassador! My 350z used to have a marmite reaction but the G37s just has either a wow what is that? Or is that a Kia?mainly is that a Kia! Haha

Anyway its nice to leave them in my wake on the motorway but come on you zedders wave back when I wave/flash, (obviously from THAT other 350z club. Hahaha....)

I do have a 1971 Datsun 100a btw street cred zero! Just how I like it! ;-)

I have owned:

1 x Vauxhall Allegro

1 x Mk 5 2l Cortina

1 x Austin Montego

2 x Mk 2 VW Scirocco

1 x Mitsubishi FTO

1 x 350Z Roadster

Not many cars in 26 years of driving, it must be said, but since owning a Japanese car, they are always my first choice.

Having said that, my early car owning years were particularly dire, so I think badge snobbery was never an issue for me.

Having my dad put his foot through the passenger seat floor of the Allegro ... and its back seat coming adrift and sliding about with every corner ... and the electrical problem where sporadically between going from main beam to dip I'd lose all external lights for about 10 seconds (a bit of excitement on the dark lanes at night) ... and the gearbox finally dumping itself onto the tarmac at 50mph ... the FTO that scarcely had any issues in 12 years of ownership really sold me on the reliability of Japanese cars.

My dad had a 1.8TC saloon (company car) - he said it was the biggest load of rubbish he'd ever driven. I t sounded quite nice but the yhing I remember most is that the "wooden" dash trim soon started to peel off - it was just sticky back paper!!

On the subject of c**p BL cars he also had sporty austin 1300GT just like this

big_77_1.jpg

which he let me drive on private roads at the tender age of 10 or so - sad to say that I quite liked the look of this one at the time!

My dad had a 1.8TC saloon (company car) - he said it was the biggest load of rubbish he'd ever driven. I t sounded quite nice but the yhing I remember most is that the "wooden" dash trim soon started to peel off - it was just sticky back paper!!

On the subject of c**p BL cars he also had sporty austin 1300GT just like this

big_77_1.jpg

which he let me drive on private roads at the tender age of 10 or so - sad to say that I quite liked the look of this one at the time!

I have a set of bumpers for one of those if anyone might be interested!! haha

I had a similar experience of badge snobbery when I first got my zed

The day I picked up my zed I was absolutely bursting to show people but all my mates were working so I stopped off at the family home to show my brother, mother etc ....... Anyway I'd traded in my xkr to buy the zed so I parked my zed round the corner called for my brother and mother to see my new car, what have you got now they asked...... A nissan I replied to which they responded WHY ...... Come have a look I said trying to hide my smug grin, we walked round the corner and they went straight past my zed looking puzzled they asked where's your new nissan..... At which point I could no longer contain myself, had to laugh as at first they refused to believe it was a nissan until they looked at the badges..... People's perceptions never cease to amaze :lol:

I still wouldn't say that is badge snobbery, more likely to do with perception of the Brand. Which is not that far off really, the majority of Nissan sales are of mundane crossovers, hatchbacks and the like. If you said you had bought a Ferrari I am sure they would have gone out looking for a sports car.

I think in terms of badge snobbery, the GT-R will have changed the perception of Nissan with a lot of people. Whereas I am sure the Prius has solidified Toyota's perception of developing dull hatchbacks!

Yes I agree, so its nice Toyota have reintroduced the GT86 but they will sell more dull saloons that those (although as I reported earlier - I was not really impressed with it) The GTR yes will highlight Nissan a bit more in this country, but again its all about Cashcows which sell like hot cakes and why not - they serve a purpose and are good.

I find it funny that Nissan are bringing Datsun back but not in the UK ? Has not stopped Renault with Dacia and Dusters really are selling like hot cakes! Aldi are doing well which worries Tesco, Asda etc so maybe the perception problem is not with the man in the street but the Advertising men? :surrender:

Anyway talking of cheap here is my little friend

doris1.jpg

I had a group of 20 somethings walk past my car whilst in traffic. One said "oooo, look at you, aren't you special! " so I got out and said to him " yes, I was once like you, a bum walking the street, but if you get a half decent job, you too can own a 9 year old car.. then you know you've really made the big time, you F**king moron" not that it's anything to do with badge snobbery but had a tenuous link.

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 2

I had a group of 20 somethings walk past my car whilst in traffic. One said "oooo, look at you, aren't you special! " so I got out and said to him " yes, I was once like you, a bum walking the street, but if you get a half decent job, you too can own a 9 year old car.. then you know you've really made the big time, you F**king moron" not that it's anything to do with badge snobbery but had a tenuous link.

:lol:

somethingspecial_main_slideshow.jpg

• Like 1

Aldi are doing well because they fit a different subsegment of the grocery retailer market, that will soon saturate and they will find their plateau. Less about advertising and more about filling a gap in the market. You could argue Crossovers did the same thing, people didnt want big chunky 4x4, but a hatchback was too small, bingo.

Nissan and Toyota are your Ford and Vauxhall for Japan really. A few RS Turbos and VXRs kicking around but generally they trawl the roads doing the mundane jobs. Maybe thats our gap in the market chaps, a sports car only manufacturer that sells around the 40k mark, cheaper than Porsche - oh, was that Lotus?! :lol:

• Like 1

Aldi are doing well because they fit a different subsegment of the grocery retailer market, that will soon saturate and they will find their plateau. Less about advertising and more about filling a gap in the market. You could argue Crossovers did the same thing, people didnt want big chunky 4x4, but a hatchback was too small, bingo.

Nissan and Toyota are your Ford and Vauxhall for Japan really. A few RS Turbos and VXRs kicking around but generally they trawl the roads doing the mundane jobs. Maybe thats our gap in the market chaps, a sports car only manufacturer that sells around the 40k mark, cheaper than Porsche - oh, was that Lotus?! :lol:

I know I went a bit off topic with supermarkets but... there is only so much space in the market and ASDA for example keep bleating how cheap they are and Poundshops do the same but as with anything you have to really know your prices and look closer some stuff is not that cheap and in ALDI's case a lot of things are being reduced in size to cover the slightly cheaper price.

Anyway - we are not called treasure island for nothing in this country we are car mad and will pay whatever to get the coolest fastest etc cars we can, one up on the Jones's!

I often wonder how non-car people actually decide what car to buy. When you have no idea of dynamics, or engines, or anything that we all take for granted, how on earth do you pick what car you want?!

Good point - we are petrol heads so we know what we like and dont like - I suppose most people who just want a car to get them around will look at it purely from a practical and cost perspective - which is why Renault sell so many! They throw in all those packages dont they?

I know I went a bit off topic with supermarkets but... there is only so much space in the market and ASDA for example keep bleating how cheap they are and Poundshops do the same but as with anything you have to really know your prices and look closer some stuff is not that cheap and in ALDI's case a lot of things are being reduced in size to cover the slightly cheaper price.

Anyway - we are not called treasure island for nothing in this country we are car mad and will pay whatever to get the coolest fastest etc cars we can, one up on the Jones's!

Veering wildly off topic, part of my job is to research products for Sainsburys - so know the grocery market quite well. As far as I knew Aldis success is due to reduced supplier list, lower costs and thus maintaining margins despite selling at lower prices. Go into Tesco or the like you get more choice but pay a bit more for it.

Treasure Island, are we!?

Haha Jim Lad - go rip orrf those Brits why dont you hahaaaarrrrr

treasure_island.jpg

story_01.jpg

Is that one of those new Datsuns Sir? No Laaad its just a cheap Kia they all want one of those 7 year warranty even I cant steal that from them! Hahahaaaaar now where did I leave moi M Series ?

Edited by stanski

I often wonder how non-car people actually decide what car to buy. When you have no idea of dynamics, or engines, or anything that we all take for granted, how on earth do you pick what car you want?!

Quite easy...

My wife hasn't got a clue about anything but colour and shape. Recently she has been pointing at XFs...So it looks like we're going to have a Jag in the family at some point. I asked her about what engine size she would consider she just turns off at that point and tells me the cheapest to run will do....So a Jag with a 4 cylinder diesel it is than :)

Edited by gangzoom

Quite easy...

My wife hasn't got a clue about anything but colour and shape. Recently she has been pointing at XFs...So it looks like we're going to have a Jag in the family at some point. I asked her about what engine size she would consider she just turns off at that point and tells me the cheapest to run will do....So a Jag with a 4 cylinder diesel it is than :)

mines the same - something big to get all the music instruments in, something 4x4 to cope withthe snow when she's working, something comfy with heated seats - hence a volvo D4 XC60 on order in "seashell" (beige)

I hate it when people say "Oh my car does 60 mpg, whats yours do?"

Do i look like i'm bothered by petrol consumption eh eh? :boxing:

Say mine does 0-60 in less than 6 seconds....how many minutes does yours take?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2