Badge snobbery is really amusing!

stanski

I was picking up my little one from nursery the other day and a guy turns up in his van to pick up his child.

He stands there gawping at my car whilst I am getting in. 'Ooooh thats a really nice looking car? What is it I have never seen one before?' He says?

'Its an Infiniti , they are quite rare yes' I reply.

'Infiniti? Oh very nice. I was thinking about replacing my 3 series?'

'They are part of Nissan I say, bit like Lexus is to Toyota' I reply

'Oh right well really nice car I do like the styling but think I will get another 3 series' .

Then we parted ways. :surrender:

I bet if I said Infiniti was the sporting division of Mercedes, he would be sniffing the tailpipes!

Thats the best thing about owning a Japanese car, people who own one have gone past the Badge barrier whilst Mr BWM, Merc, Audi, VW (delete as required) have their lifestyle status on show for everyone to see. Why do people buy cars for other people to admire! :headhurt:

Well I am happy to drive my Korean looking Jap car! :D

• Like 1

ssshhh keep you're voice down, it's a secret

and i dont think anyone admires the car manufacturers you listed ( may have been the case when people drove viva's, chevette's, marina's)......... credit is too easy to admire those cars anymore, its moved to lambo, ferrari, bugatti etc now

i used to have a Marina - what are you trying to say ?

TC ?

TC ?

it was blue and had seats like sofas - thats all I remember..............it was a long time ago

TC ?

TC ?

it was blue and had seats like sofas - thats all I remember..............it was a long time ago

handled like a boat :lol: , they did a 1.3 and the sport version <cough> was that 1.8TC it had twin su's basically the same engine as an mgb gt

I find nobody even knows what a Nissan 350Z is. Everyone at work drives Ford Focus' that they pay a lease company £300 a month for. (That includes servicing and insurance mind! They love to add that on)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

To be fair based on the text, the guy at no point said he was going to replace his 3 series with something like your car, simply said yours was nice and that he was thinking of replacing his 3 series ;) Said to my wife last night that her new shoes were nice and that I should get a new pair, doesn't mean I want a pair of 2 inch heeled black stilettos :lol:

Actually when I owned my zed I would say about 25% of people knew what the car was, clearly the people that stopped and stared didnt know what it was, because they were staring. Those that just glanced tended to have seen them before and know what they are - in fact my boss at a previous company bought one new when they first came out!

Hey, My daily is a 3 series ( 2012 - 320 msport super wobble - with the 181.2 bhp - 380 Nm 280 lb-ft - And 11m turning circle). And just to top it off - Its white. I do feel like i have an obligation to drive like a **** when i'm in it though. You know, standard stuff - Middle lane on the motorway, tailgating ect ect. Sometimes i break the mould and wear a baseball cap whilst driving.

My Zed needs to prove nothing. ;)

Hey, My daily is a 3 series ( 2012 - 320 msport super wobble - with the 181.2 bhp - 380 Nm 280 lb-ft - And 11m turning circle). And just to top it off - Its white. I do feel like i have an obligation to drive like a **** when i'm in it though. You know, standard stuff - Middle lane on the motorway, tailgating ect ect. Sometimes i break the mould and wear a baseball cap whilst driving.

My Zed needs to prove nothing. ;)

Middle lane ? You should be in the outside lane regardless if there is traffic or not and do not move over under any circumstance

BMW do make great cars (mainly the M cars), but I really don't understand why you would buy something like a 320d when a cheaper Ford/Honda diesel will do exactly the same job of getting you from A to B but for much less money.....I tried suggesting that once on a BMW forum, you can guess the reaction :lol:.

TC ?

TC ?

I remember mine was a Russet Brown 1700L. Going round corners and hitting a bump at the same time was a scary experience. The badge was the least of my problems :lol:

• Like 1

I had a similar experience of badge snobbery when I first got my zed

The day I picked up my zed I was absolutely bursting to show people but all my mates were working so I stopped off at the family home to show my brother, mother etc ....... Anyway I'd traded in my xkr to buy the zed so I parked my zed round the corner called for my brother and mother to see my new car, what have you got now they asked...... A nissan I replied to which they responded WHY ...... Come have a look I said trying to hide my smug grin, we walked round the corner and they went straight past my zed looking puzzled they asked where's your new nissan..... At which point I could no longer contain myself, had to laugh as at first they refused to believe it was a nissan until they looked at the badges..... People's perceptions never cease to amaze :lol:

• Like 7

I had a similar experience of badge snobbery when I first got my zed

The day I picked up my zed I was absolutely bursting to show people but all my mates were working so I stopped off at the family home to show my brother, mother etc ....... Anyway I'd traded in my xkr to buy the zed so I parked my zed round the corner called for my brother and mother to see my new car, what have you got now they asked...... A nissan I replied to which they responded WHY ...... Come have a look I said trying to hide my smug grin, we walked round the corner and they went straight past my zed looking puzzled they asked where's your new nissan..... At which point I could no longer contain myself, had to laugh as at first they refused to believe it was a nissan until they looked at the badges..... People's perceptions never cease to amaze :lol:

I still wouldn't say that is badge snobbery, more likely to do with perception of the Brand. Which is not that far off really, the majority of Nissan sales are of mundane crossovers, hatchbacks and the like. If you said you had bought a Ferrari I am sure they would have gone out looking for a sports car.

I think in terms of badge snobbery, the GT-R will have changed the perception of Nissan with a lot of people. Whereas I am sure the Prius has solidified Toyota's perception of developing dull hatchbacks!

• Like 1

Thing is, BMW is a much better brand than Infiniti is ever likely to be. No shame in that, they spent a hell of a lot of years building that up. I'd rather have the equivalent Beemer than the Inifiniti I have to say, but then I wouldn't be so shallow as to pick it simply because of the badge.

• Like 1