Anyone find the 370z doesnt really like being revved? - possibly the flywheels too heavy?

gstraw

Hey

Going from a celica GT to a 370z, i have found that the celica is so much more freely revving than the 370z. i know the 370z has a heavier flywheel but why? will changing it affect the Synchro mode?

After 5k revs, it seems like the zed slows down on its pulling ability and therefore i never seem to redline it. in comparison, my celica loved being beyind 5200 rpm up until 7500rpm.

I also noted that another member said that after getting an up rev the car behaved itself after 5000rpm.

so does anyone else find this issue and what can be done to resolve it so that its pulling at its best when revved hard.....like a NA jap carshould be!

was your celica a 190 version with the VVTLI if so that engine is designed to produce power at high rpm where as the nissan is a big V engine designed for low down torque not high rpm power

Edited by StevoD

The earlier 350's have better low down and mid range torque, the later ones and the 370's should have a more balanced and smoother torque curve, are you sure yours is running as it should? Did the Celica have any variable valve timing or come onto cam higher in the rev range maybe? Getting any car remapped would be beneficial over a factory map IF done by a decent tuner... ;)

i think your used to the lift of vvlti similar to Mivec and Vtec in small little revvey 4 pots, you wont get the same delivery in a big large capacity NA V engine unless you can shell out for LFA

Edited by StevoD

It's just a characteristic of the car. Being a V6 the engine has a lower rev limit, therefore reducing where the power is. Didn't you notice this on the test drive? Along with the engine noise being not as required?

i know the 370z has a heavier flywheel but why? will changing it affect the Synchro mode?

Now that is one of the best questions I've yet seen asked about the 370Z, and it's a very important one too. Is the software clever enough to adapt to a lighter flywheel, ot do you have to stick with OEM?

Irrelevant for me of course, as I'm a driving god and would never use the synchro matching stuff as I can heel and toe with perfection every time*, but it would certainly help other folks who want to upgrade. Certainly the lighter flywheel in a 350Z transformed the car.

*This may not be entirely true

• Like 1

i know the 370z has a heavier flywheel but why? will changing it affect the Synchro mode?

Irrelevant for me of course, as I'm a driving god and would never use the synchro matching stuff as I can heel and toe with perfection every time*, but it would certainly help other folks who want to upgrade. Certainly the lighter flywheel in a 350Z transformed the car.

*This may not be entirely true

ive just had to run up to IT to get a bigger screen for my desk to fit your whole virtual head in :p

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 3

Not sure about 5k+ revving but I am having issues getting use to setting off smoothly in first gear.

Absolute nightmare compared to the 50. Lowered the clutch pedal to help but its still awful.

Edited by 370Ad

Not sure about 5k+ revving but I am having issues getting used to setting off smoothly in first gear.

Absolute nightmare compared to the 50. Lowered the clutch pedal to help but its still awful.

Totally agree, one day I think I've cracked and the next day it's like being a learner driver, it's as if the power dips for a millisecond as you pull away, it's a pain in traffic

Its not like the car is dead after 5k....just doesnt pull like it does low down.

yes my celica was vvtli and i had a stage 2 cam upgrade. when lift kicked in it pulled like a train and the car loved being revved.

dont get the wrong the low down power in the zed is awesome and more usable its just that i want it to pull like that all the way to the redline.

also blipping the throttle isnt a blip....the flywheels so heavy it stays at the 'blipped' rev for at least a second. where as the celica was in comparison instant. this is something ive found on all 370z and is very evident onthe youtube videos when people are showing off their new exhausts.

I think I would quite like a lighter flywheel. i can imagine it would make the car so much more fun.

lighte flywheel, exhaust, sports cat and an uprev = smiles all around!

Not sure about 5k+ revving but I am having issues getting used to setting off smoothly in first gear.

Totally agree, one day I think I've cracked and the next day it's like being a learner driver, it's as if the power dips for a millisecond as you pull away, it's a pain in traffic

At least I am not the only one....

If you watch the revs when you pull away they die the more you engage the clutch.

This is usually quite normal and you would normally blend with more accelerator to move off. I think the problem with the 70 is that the throttle has a delay so it doesn't react fast enough before bogging down.

UpRev will help but getting the GF to justify £400 on a car I have only had 3 weeks will be interesting ;)

Edited by 370Ad

If you watch the revs when you pull away they die the more you engage the clutch.

This is usually quite normal and you would normally blend with more accelerator to move off. I think the problem with the 70 is that the throttle has a delay so it doesn't react fast enough before bogging down.

UpRev will help but getting the GF to justify £400 on a car I have only had 3 weeks will be interesting ;)

its part of its needed "service"

• Like 1

spoke to will370z and he said the uprev does "improve" it but not eliminate :(

spoke to will370z and he said the uprev does "improve" it but not eliminate :(

This isn't great news!

Saw my name mentioned. Just to clarify I have found the the uprev does improve the bogging down issue. It was something I was always aware of, especially when concentrating when I had another zed member in the car. Get it wrong the the revs drop and the car falls flat on its arse,more it felt like that. It's noticeably smoother now and I don't get that drop so often, but it's not eliminated.

The uprev definitely helped past the 5k rev band. Before I simply got noise and not a lot more as I felt the car hit a plateau. Not a pleasant noise either just straining. Now she just keeps on pulling and it's far more fun. The uprev just improves the torque and you get consistent pull all the way through the gears. It's not a life changing, throw you in the back of your seat, holy cow change but it's a lot nicer drive now and feels smoother and quicker.

If anyone is around surrey or will be in wales and wants a trip to see the difference I'm happy to help.

Should I be concerned that I have no idea what any of you are going on about? ;)

Think you have to have owned a Celica to understand the difference in drive to the 370z :surrender:

Haha! The celica had the worlds worst 2nd to 3rd shift I have ever experienced!

At high revs it would never go in.

Edited by 370Ad

It took me a while but I got used to it.

Will- your description beyond 5k revs is EXACTLY how I feel- feel like your straining the car like a hire car not wanting to be ragged!

The celica was like....5k....here wee go! And it went mental. Great fun. 370z I was thinking oh...poor car didn't like anything beyond 5k!

I'm gonna have to get an uprev I think. Anyone done it on a stock car? Any graphs? I would actually be very interested to see a stock graph and maybe work out what's happening beyond 5k revs

Oh and I have still kept my celica so I get the best if both! :D