Should I get one? 370z

Been a lurker for a while now just to read up on 370 ownership.

I'm torn between the 370 or an E92 M3.

I don't really like the idea of how much it cost to run an M3 though, and if they go wrong the bill will most likely be huge.

So I'm thinking the Zed will be a slightly more sensible choice. Plus, I love the way they look, and like the two fingers attitude the car has to all these practical eco-warrior pecker cars everyone is making these days.

A few questions:

- I'd be looking to spend 18k give or take. I'm hoping this would get me a low miler newer car with a warranty? How long are warranties?

- Do I actually need a warranty? How much is likely to go wrong?

- Do they all come with an LSD? I've heard some come with an open diff. Is that just in the US?

- I've read about the over-heating, clutch pedal sticking and fuel starve on the track. Are these common or just something that has been inflated by hearsay?

I've booked a test drive this Sunday so pretty excited to see what they're like to drive! Obviously the dealer won't let me throw the car around much.

How friendly are they on the limit? I spoke to a guy on Pistonheads who had a 350 and said they were irretrievable once the back end goes. Found this pretty hard to believe from the glowing reviews I have read...?

Edited by ECG1000

:welcome: I think the 370s are dropping in at around 16K ish although I haven't looked in a while. So you maybe have some room to move with 18K. Can answer saving the backend for the 370 but the 350 is very forgiving. I would imagine the 370 would be the same :thumbs:

I could've written your post three months ago. I was looking for either an E92 M3 (never E90, just looks wrong) - or a 370z - on a similar budget to yours.

The truth is you'll be looking at a higher-mileage M3 from a private seller, for around the same price as a lower mileage 370 from a dealer. And I didn't fancy the M3 running costs either.

All I can say is that after a whole 4 days of ownership of a 370z GT I have no doubt that I made the right decision (see http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/82463-new-and-very-happy-370-owner-pics-inside/).

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

• Like 1

I could've written your post three months ago. I was looking for either an E92 M3 (never E90, just looks wrong) - or a 370z - on a similar budget to yours.

The truth is you'll be looking at a higher-mileage M3 from a private seller, for around the same price as a lower mileage 370 from a dealer. And I didn't fancy the M3 running costs either.

Snap. This was me a few years back. I ended up getting a 20k mile 350z HR for about £16k and for that money i was looking at a much higher mileage M3.

For that sort of money i guess you`ll be looking at 370z`s which are about 3 years old so out of warranty. If you buy from a main dealer like I did, they will give you bit of a warranty. I cant remember how much mine was, think it was 6 months. However, you`ll find this will only cover major things. Anything classed as "consumable" like belts, brakes, clutch, etc etc etc wont be covered. If you get the roadster one then the roof isnt covered, neither is bodywork. I was left wondering exactly what is covered!

Firstly, all uk 370z's have viscous limited slip differential as standard.

Secondly, the rate of clutch wear depends on your driving style. I've had 2 x 350z's and a 370z and (so far) I've not had to replace a clutch. Some people can make a clutch last for ages.

I've not had my car on the track, but even if I drive in a spirited fashion on the roads I can make the oil temperature get quite high very easily. If I were going to track my car (and I'm not) I'd seriously consider an oil cooler, as well as uprating the brakes, of course.

If I were you, as you're able to spend 18k, go for a GT version (not to be confused with the GT Edition), 2010 or later, because the audio upgrade is significant. If you're lucky you could get a 2010 GT pack version for quite a lot less than that - I did, and that was over 2 years ago :teeth:

Good luck.

Welcome aboard. :welcome:

If your possibly looking at a 370Z then joining here is definitely a wise first decision. Lots of helpful members and great information on here.

Good luck with the search and making your decision although I'd definitely rather a 370 over the M3 imo. :thumbs:

Hi, it's your choice but if it was me which it was last October go for the zed. I got a 60 plate coupe gt with a shade over 20k miles, extended warranty (3 yrs) thrown in from a dealer with a service done before I picked it up for £18500. Looked at other Marques BMW, merc, Audi etc for the same money but no where near such a low mileage or spec level for that price either had to sacrifice spec or mileage but with the zed I got the lot and couldn't be happier. Great car bargain price loads more smiles per mile. My only regret is I didn't get a zed sooner ( my opinion) good luck hope you find what you're lookin for :)

Thank you for the replies and the warm welcome!

It easy to make the Zed come unstuck if you want to get the rear moving about?

I find my 350 is pretty well planted to the road but I guess if you want to try drifting it then yes it can be made to drift (can't answer for the 370). There are a few guy's on here though who drift if that's your bag. ;)

:welcome: I think the 370s are dropping in at around 16K ish

Bob on price wise.

Had my 2010 GT premium connect with 21k for a week. :thumbs:

Was considering an M6 but it would have been older with lots more miles.

Decided to stay in the family, will probably be my last 2 seat coup though TBH,

Bob on price wise.

Had my 2010 GT premium connect with 21k for a week. :thumbs:

Was considering an M6 but it would have been older with lots more miles.

Decided to stay in the family, will probably be my last 2 seat coup though TBH,

Funny that we've all been looking at similar models before choosing the zed, namely any M variant BMW. I checked out a couple of M6 and M5s - loved the E60 M5 but reports of 8mpg put me off. Went out for a spin fairly late last night in the zed, and once again absolutely know I made the right choice.

I'm not into drifting as such, just enjoy a bit of skidding ;) .

On the standard setup, how does the Zed cope with bumpy roads when pushing on? I live in West Yorkshire where it can get a bit bumpy.

I'm not talking about hitting potholes or anything, just roads that aren't particularly smooth.

The 370 has a shorter wheelbase than the 350, so is going to feel a bit livelier/twitchier on the road than the M3. That said, the 370 isn't renowned for being the most agile of cars so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

In every way that matters, the M3 is the better car. Better engine, better interior, better drive. And yet, when I moved on from the 350 I bought an E92, hadn't even picked it up and I knew it wasn't the right call, and so got my deposit back and bought something else. Truth be told, it didn't excite me at all, despite being an amazing car. The 370 also leaves me cold, so that may not be saying much. Drive them both and make up your own mind, they're very different and I suspect you'll gravitate towards one or the other very quickly.

On the standard setup, how does the Zed cope with bumpy roads when pushing on? I live in West Yorkshire where it can get a bit bumpy.

I'm not talking about hitting potholes or anything, just roads that aren't particularly smooth.

Roads near me are very bumpy , I find the 370 much better than the 350 which had a tendency to be a bit skittish on uneven surfaces , the 370 has a wider track and tyres than the 350 which helps

I had no problems at all with my 350z on bumpy roads and my god there are loads around my way. The only time I noticed issues was when all 4 tyres were nearly bald, at which point the car tram lined like mad and followed the road a lot. New tyres soon fixed this problem.

Anyone recommend some good insurance companies?

I'm with Greenlight at the moment who are being stupid about the fact it's a powerful rear drive car.

The chap I spoke to says they are refusing to insure anyone with a BMW! Couldn't quite believe what I was hearing! Probably why they are so cheap.