Test driven GT86 today! Its a No ...shame...

stanski

After my recent thread about gt86, I had the opportunity to drive one today.

What can I say its good to drive but I am a little dissapointed also.

Other half did not like it and my daughter only just had room in the back!

Shame I really hoped this would be the one?

It drove exactly how I remember my MR2 roadster, very precise steering, tells you whati its doing all the time. Brakes and controls are excellent, let down by obvious built to a cost interior though, I doubt the material on the seats will last?

The worst bit was the engine noise? Lucy thought it was a hairdrier! There was a horrible noise like water running down the drain from my shower under acceleration, the exhaust manifold is under the drivers footwell and my right ear picked up on this. Sounded aweful if I am honest!

Oh well the search continues, maybe a G37 but prices are still stupid and hardly a manual version anywhere?

Thanks guys. What that sound is fake???!!!

Ffs I love the sound of the boxer engine?

Oh well search continues.

If I was 25 single and wanted a fun car - gt86 is it but its £8-10k overpriced I think?

Sods law just as we drive home a black 370 glides past just to rub it in!

Worst thing they did was pump the intake sound into the interior. Just sounds so false, and so harsh at high revs.

Im sure pug do this on the RCZ as well.

Absolute spastic of an idea by some designer bigwig.

Who the hell wants to hear a fake engine noise ffs!!

Still sounds better than the noise produced by twin intaked engined Zed lumps in oe spec. I actually really liked gt86 but was just too over priced imo.

I am still not sure how Nissans Development team managed to make such a duff sound vee six at high revs. Sounds rubbish compared to our old M3,s and even the bloody passat!

Dont get me wrong I like the way it drove but realistically its not the long distance (pretend family car) I was hoping? My 4 year old would be touching the roof after 2 years and she cant see anything from the back as the windows are teeny.

Shame it goes well just not up to the mark for our needs.

I have hardly seen such a popular topic pre and during release of the brz and 86, there wasnt an aspect of this car that wasnt thoroughly disected and dicussed or should I say argued, lol.

I dont think there is any doubt in a few years it will be the modding car of choice but whilst it sits in its current price bracket there is just too many other cars to compete against that have either, better looks, better trim or better performance. Before I get flamed I know the ethos of this car was lightweight, fine handling that didnt need say 280bhp but apart from the die hard enthusiasts who backed the 86's corner, anyone I have known who has driven one said it was great to drive but 200bhp just wasnt enough in real world driving, not just a and b road blasts.

Edited by Jetpilot

• 2 weeks later...

Well for work today I had to go and pick up a new Toyota.

Goes alright for a 4 cylinder, no exhaust note, all engine noise when you put the boot in, not that I could do that in the heavy traffic. Stock Michelin tyres they had on it, I didn't find a suitable match it needs more traction and wider tyres, wing mirrors are too big I found had trouble seeing over then at roundabouts and the wing mirrors need to be further forward and no I'm not short. :p The rear high stop light had difficulty seeing over. Now if I'd had longer to set the car up, all of about 30 seconds that may have been alleviated. Being really picky the left front wheel was out of balance (but given it was a demo car it has about 1800kms on it, someone has obviously enjoyed a pothole). Brakes I found too progressive for a sports car, not enough immediate bite. Some decent pads and decent exhaust it would be a different car to drive.

• 2 months later...

The cabin sound is definitely artificial and one of the first things I did to improve my GT86. I replaced the air intake that creates a better internal & external noise through mid-revs and deletes the cabin pipe.

As for rear seats, they're not good for passengers really. Both my seats are hard up against the rear seats (I have had an adult behind the passenger seat but not really practical) and I find their best use is because they fold down and you get quite a lot of room (I managed to get a full spare set of wheels & tyres in the back when I did my first track day).

I came from a 350Z to 370Z to GT86. You miss the power and the interior dash quality isn't as good but the GT86 has different qualities that make it a good alternative. I have upgraded a few things for occasional track use but gets used every day as well.